• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com

So There

• Brystonized
Re: BDP-2 Digital Player
« Reply #341 on: 18 Apr 2013, 06:35 pm »
Deja congratulations, James and Brystonites:

I received my copy of The Absolute Sound last week and enjoyed reading the rave review, as well as the Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity review.

When convenient, might you make your spiffy Brystonized PDFs of these reviews available to us?

Congratulations on this well-deserved recognition of yet another example of Bryston's excellence in design and performance.

Be hi-def,

Rich

The means — Bryston SP3 | Bryston 6B-SST(C) - L/C/R; 4B-SST(C) - surrounds; 4B-SST(C) - rears | Bryston BDP-2 Digital Player; BDA-2 D/A Converter; Oppo BDP-105 | Paradigm Reference Signature S8 fronts; C5 center; ADP surrounds; S4 rears; two Velodyne DD15 subs | APC S20 | Pioneer Elite PRO-1130

Afterimage

« Reply #342 on: 20 Apr 2013, 02:06 pm »
My BDP-2 should be here today.  I also have the BDA-2 coming in about 10 days.  Anyway, I will be connecting an external  hard drive to the BDP-2, does the cable between the two make any difference?  I just have the stock connection cable that came with the external hard drive.  I didn't know if there were after market "audiophile" cables for such a thing.  The rest of my system is a Burmester 082 Integrated amp and Elac FS 249 Black Edition Speakers.

Afterimage

« Reply #343 on: 23 Apr 2013, 12:03 am »
Okay, so I plugged my external hard drive into the one of the back ports, started up Mpod.   However, not everything in my external hard drive shows up on the MPod menu.   Anyone know what that would be?  To make sure everything was still on the external hard drive, I connected it to my Macbook, and all the albums/artists shows up just fine on the Itunes menu.  So why not with the BDP-2.  What is up with that?

haxter1

« Reply #344 on: 23 Apr 2013, 12:35 am »
I have had this happen with the BDP-1.  Just disconnect the hard drive, reconnect it and let it run again.

Haxter

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #345 on: 23 Apr 2013, 01:37 am »
Okay, so I plugged my external hard drive into the one of the back ports, started up Mpod.   However, not everything in my external hard drive shows up on the MPod menu.   Anyone know what that would be?  To make sure everything was still on the external hard drive, I connected it to my Macbook, and all the albums/artists shows up just fine on the Itunes menu.  So why not with the BDP-2.  What is up with that?

Make sure you update the drive

James

Afterimage

« Reply #346 on: 23 Apr 2013, 02:14 pm »
I turned off the BDP-2 and the external hard drive.  Disconnected the external drive, plugged back in and turned it back on.  Still missing some artist/albums.

James, this may seem like a really dumb question, but what do you mean by "update the drive"?   Thanks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #347 on: 23 Apr 2013, 04:45 pm »
I turned off the BDP-2 and the external hard drive.  Disconnected the external drive, plugged back in and turned it back on.  Still missing some artist/albums.

James, this may seem like a really dumb question, but what do you mean by "update the drive"?   Thanks.

Hi

In the interface you are using - iPad - Computer etc. the Bryston home page allows you to UPDATE the content on the attached drive.  The Content is also remembered when you turn off the BDP- so leave the drive attached and on when you turn off the BDP.

You can also call Chris Rice at Bryston for help - 1-800-632-8217

james

Afterimage

« Reply #348 on: 23 Apr 2013, 06:36 pm »
thanks James, I will try that when I get home.  As of right now, I don't really like the Bryston Interface, kept having problems loading the page among other things.  I really like MPad, so that is what I am using for now. 

BrysTony

« Reply #349 on: 23 Apr 2013, 06:48 pm »
thanks James, I will try that when I get home.  As of right now, I don't really like the Bryston Interface, kept having problems loading the page among other things.  I really like MPad, so that is what I am using for now.

Have you updated the MPad local cache?  It must be done each time songs are added to the BDP; otherwise, MPad will not "see" the added songs.  Go into MPad settings (the gear symbol at the top and select "Refresh local cache" in the drop down menu.  That should solve your problem.

Tony

Afterimage

« Reply #350 on: 23 Apr 2013, 07:41 pm »
Yes, the first thing I tried was reshesing the local cache.  If I can't get all of my artist/songs to show up again, I may just do a test and reload some of those disk to the external hard drive, plug it back in to see if things show up.  Thanks for the input so far guys.  Greatly appreciated. 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #351 on: 23 Apr 2013, 07:52 pm »
Yes, the first thing I tried was reshesing the local cache.  If I can't get all of my artist/songs to show up again, I may just do a test and reload some of those disk to the external hard drive, plug it back in to see if things show up.  Thanks for the input so far guys.  Greatly appreciated.

Also try reloading MPAD totally by deleting it and reloading ( hit the indent button twice then hold your finger on MPAD at the bottom till the X appears - then delete it - then go back to home screen and hit MPAD on the home screen which reloads it) .

james

skunark

« Reply #352 on: 23 Apr 2013, 08:38 pm »

What are the file types?  Size of library?  And with mpad can you browse through the file system and see the songs and they just don't show up under the artist?   

Some random issues i've noticed:
* As for file types, latest version of iTunes (11.x) has a bug with the ID3 tags for at least AIFF files, where MPD might skip a few songs in an album.
* There's no standard or consistent way to tag WAV files, so they might not appear under the album and artists, just really depends on how the directories are listed.
* For a large collection, MPD will stop importing my library after about 3000 songs, again my library is mostly AIFF and a few FLAC.  There's a bug in there somewhere, but without an error message it's hard to figure out what it is.      The easy solution, perform several updates about 5 minutes apart refreshing the mpad/mpod cache until the time to update is consistent. 
* mPod and mPad has a setting to group albums by directory or by album title, this has a significant impact to the number of artists and albums that appear,  you might play around with this and update the ID3 tags in iTunes to your preference.     

Also compare the size between the BDP and itunes Music folders if they are drastically difference then you have your answer.   If they are identical, then compare that to what iTunes itself is reporting, perhaps you need to consolidate your music before you copy them over.   If you have a file synchronization issue then you might read this: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=102438.msg1038459#msg1038459 .

Jim

Afterimage

« Reply #353 on: 23 Apr 2013, 08:51 pm »
I have yet to download the lasterst version of Itunes, but my files are AIFF.  I have about 4900 songs, so quite a bit more then the 3000.  The thing is, my entire libray does not show up on Bryston's or MPods either and it is the same material that is missing with each one.   (I'm using MPad).   

skunark

« Reply #354 on: 23 Apr 2013, 09:34 pm »
I have yet to download the lasterst version of Itunes, but my files are AIFF.  I have about 4900 songs, so quite a bit more then the 3000.  The thing is, my entire libray does not show up on Bryston's or MPods either and it is the same material that is missing with each one.   (I'm using MPad).

So with 4900 songs you probably need to request the BDP to update the database at least twice, assuming you have the same issue I do. (I have 16000+ aiff files so i do about six updates).   But before you do that, make sure you have 4900 songs on the BDP drive and that it also matches what iTunes reports.     You can compare the folder file size or number of files reported in windows explorer or the finder.

BTW: MPAD and the BDP MAX2/mini will report the same same information since they are based on the "mpd" database that the "update" process builds.   Most likely the issue will be that the files actually don't exist on the HDD attached to the BDP or that MPD failed to read the tag from the file. 

You might also describe how you have ripped and copied the files to the BDP.      In the case that files don't appear on the HDD,  keep in mind that  iTunes doesn't requires you to keep all your files in the same area or even on the same hard disk drive and that pointing to a different directory doesn't move existing files to that location.  iTunes does have options to consolidate the music files, which should be considered in this case.

Afterimage

« Reply #355 on: 24 Apr 2013, 01:31 am »
Also try reloading MPAD totally by deleting it and reloading ( hit the indent button twice then hold your finger on MPAD at the bottom till the X appears - then delete it - then go back to home screen and hit MPAD on the home screen which reloads it) .

james

If you delete it, then why would it still be available on the home screen to reload it?  Wouldn't it gone, in which case I would have to go to the app store and get the app. again?

Edit.  Okay, I tried this, didn't work.  Missing artist and albums are still not showing up in the library.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #356 on: 24 Apr 2013, 01:41 am »
If you delete it, then why would it still be available on the home screen to reload it?  Wouldn't it gone, in which case I would have to go to the app store and get the app. again?

Yes, but apple shouldn't charge you for installing it again.

Cheers,
Chris

Afterimage

« Reply #357 on: 24 Apr 2013, 02:41 am »
So with 4900 songs you probably need to request the BDP to update the database at least twice, assuming you have the same issue I do. (I have 16000+ aiff files so i do about six updates).   But before you do that, make sure you have 4900 songs on the BDP drive and that it also matches what iTunes reports.     You can compare the folder file size or number of files reported in windows explorer or the finder.

BTW: MPAD and the BDP MAX2/mini will report the same same information since they are based on the "mpd" database that the "update" process builds.   Most likely the issue will be that the files actually don't exist on the HDD attached to the BDP or that MPD failed to read the tag from the file. 

You might also describe how you have ripped and copied the files to the BDP.      In the case that files don't appear on the HDD,  keep in mind that  iTunes doesn't requires you to keep all your files in the same area or even on the same hard disk drive and that pointing to a different directory doesn't move existing files to that location.  iTunes does have options to consolidate the music files, which should be considered in this case.

Well, I plugged the External Hard drive into the Mac.  I clicked on the hard drive library, not Itunes, just the hard drive.  sure enough, everything was there.  I even loaded a new disk into the external hard drive via the Mac Book.  So I plugged back into the BDP-2, updated, refreshed local cache.  Still missing the same artist/albums including the new on from both MPad and the Bryson library.  The songs ARE on the hard drive, so why can't I see or access them?

Okay, I am getting VERY FRUSTRATED!!!!  When I spend 3 grand on a server, I expect something user friendly that works.  I have better things to do then spend hours trying to figure out how to get my music on this thing.   Pathetic.  Sorry for taking up thread space guys.  I will call Bryson tomorrow, maybe they can help me.  ARRGGH!!!!! 

Robert D

« Reply #358 on: 24 Apr 2013, 12:02 pm »
Well, I plugged the External Hard drive into the Mac.  I clicked on the hard drive library, not Itunes, just the hard drive.  sure enough, everything was there.  I even loaded a new disk into the external hard drive via the Mac Book.  So I plugged back into the BDP-2, updated, refreshed local cache.  Still missing the same artist/albums including the new on from both MPad and the Bryson library.  The songs ARE on the hard drive, so why can't I see or access them?

Okay, I am getting VERY FRUSTRATED!!!!  When I spend 3 grand on a server, I expect something user friendly that works.  I have better things to do then spend hours trying to figure out how to get my music on this thing.   Pathetic.  Sorry for taking up thread space guys.  I will call Bryson tomorrow, maybe they can help me.  ARRGGH!!!!!

Call Chris Rice at Bryston he will resolve all of your problems

Regards Robert

James Tanner

• Facilitator