Linked Events

• Rocky Mountain Audio Fest 2008: 10 Oct 2008 - 12 Oct 2008

RMAF 2008

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Re: RMAF 2008
« Reply #120 on: 9 Oct 2008, 01:23 pm »
Not sure if that add would bring in people other that audiophiles.  Horns, turntables and tubes!

Hope to see folks soon. :)

mcullinan

« Reply #121 on: 9 Oct 2008, 01:24 pm »
HEy Charlie!
You going?
I wish I was.
Mike

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #122 on: 9 Oct 2008, 02:50 pm »
What is the best way to get to Marriott from DEN airport without a car?  Is there a regular shuttle?  Train?  Taxi?

TomS

« Reply #123 on: 9 Oct 2008, 03:03 pm »
What is the best way to get to Marriott from DEN airport without a car?  Is there a regular shuttle?  Train?  Taxi?
I'm taking the SuperShuttle again (shared van service).  You can make reservations on line.

Mike Dzurko

• Industry Participant
« Reply #124 on: 9 Oct 2008, 04:23 pm »
I believe that the shuttle ends around 10:00 PM, maybe earlier. I know the last couple years when I get in around 10:30 it is done running. However, there are usually independent vans that run for the same price.

Christopher Witmer

In Marriott Tower 9002/3, Feastrex and The Lotus Group are exhibiting some 9-inch and 5-inch field coil drivers that are simply awesome (motors have 100% Permendur yokes, pole pieces & top plates) and I would love to get some feedback on them:

I hear they also have some very nice prototype 811A SE amplifiers:

and enclosures that are gorgeously finished in Japanese urushi lacquer:

Since I'm a Feastrex junkie, I hope someone will report back on these items!

Thanks,

-- Chris

Randy

« Reply #126 on: 12 Oct 2008, 03:10 pm »
Dang, I was going to drive down from Wyoming this morning since Sunday, esp. early, is the best time to visit RMAF, but woke to snow and icy roads. I-25 is no fun under those conditions esp. if you add in a little wind. I wanted to meet Vinnie and tell him in person how much I am enjoying the 30.2 power amp.

jackman

« Reply #127 on: 12 Oct 2008, 05:00 pm »
Hey, has anyone stopped by the Bamberg (BESL) room to hear the new series 5's?  I listned to an earlier incarnation, which sounded awesome, and I'm hoping to get some feedback from the people who were lucky enough to attend the show.  There is a very good chance these are going to be my next speakers and I'd love to get some comments from the AC folks (Lonewolf, etc.) who will have a chance to hear them live.  I'm not looking for happy-talk, just the unbiased and unfiltered views I've come to expect from most of the people on this site. 

Plus, Phil is a good guy and he is a great person to get together with and talk music and audio.  I look forward to comments on Phil's room and to reading show reviews (which rooms had best sound, which new products were most exciting, etc.). 

Cheers!

Jack

treytexag

« Reply #128 on: 12 Oct 2008, 07:02 pm »
I stopped in Phil's room and listened to the Series 5's he had set up there.  I did not get a chance to speak directly with Phil as another industry representative was there giving Phil feedback on his room setup.  The industry rep and Phil were discussing the apparent forwardness of the high end with the +2 db switch on the Series 5's engaged.  The industry rep speaking to Phil was advising him that he should aim the Series 5's out a littler wider to lower the "forwardness" of the treble.  Phil then advised him about the +2 db switch, they turned it off and we relistened to the same music - some jazz rendition of "I've Been Working on the Railroad".  Phil admitted to the rep that he preferred his treble to be a "little forward", and that he had been switching the +2db switch in and out depending on the piece playing.

I thought the Series 5's sounded very good.  Nice soundstage, crystal clarity in mid base.  I am no audiophile, but I did agree with the industry rep that the Series 5's sounded better with the +2 db treble swith NOT engaged.  Phil was really cordial, some guy in Phil's room giving him "critical" input on his setup and sound - Phil graciously listened and attempted to address the industry reps concerns / input.  Anyway, the speakers sounded very good to my ears - FWIW.

Trey

Hey, has anyone stopped by the Bamberg (BESL) room to hear the new series 5's?  I listned to an earlier incarnation, which sounded awesome, and I'm hoping to get some feedback from the people who were lucky enough to attend the show.  There is a very good chance these are going to be my next speakers and I'd love to get some comments from the AC folks (Lonewolf, etc.) who will have a chance to hear them live.  I'm not looking for happy-talk, just the unbiased and unfiltered views I've come to expect from most of the people on this site. 

Plus, Phil is a good guy and he is a great person to get together with and talk music and audio.  I look forward to comments on Phil's room and to reading show reviews (which rooms had best sound, which new products were most exciting, etc.). 

Cheers!

Jack

jackman

« Reply #129 on: 12 Oct 2008, 09:17 pm »
Thanks Trey.  I'm not surprised by your description of Phil.  The cool thing about the Series 5's is the flexibility to make the kind of changes you mention in your post.  I like the idea of having speakers that allow you to make minor adjustments to suite specific recordings.  Not sure who the industry guy was but I don't think he can help Phil with room setup.  Phil is very good at setting up a room and I'm hoping to hear more comments on the BESL room.  Thanks for your post!

J

feeling

« Reply #130 on: 13 Oct 2008, 04:50 am »
Thanks Trey.  I'm not surprised by your description of Phil.  The cool thing about the Series 5's is the flexibility to make the kind of changes you mention in your post.  I like the idea of having speakers that allow you to make minor adjustments to suite specific recordings.  Not sure who the industry guy was but I don't think he can help Phil with room setup.  Phil is very good at setting up a room and I'm hoping to hear more comments on the BESL room.  Thanks for your post!

J

I see 1 tube amplifier in RMAF-2008: 
New brand name: Musical Interpretations
(Marriott 5th Floor ~ 586)
some photo inside of 2A3PP amplifier
Feeling

sorry, i can not post picture! help me!

Gordy

« Reply #131 on: 13 Oct 2008, 11:53 am »

I see 1 tube amplifier in RMAF-2008: 
New brand name: Musical Interpretations
(Marriott 5th Floor ~ 586)
some photo inside of 2A3PP amplifier
Feeling

sorry, i can not post picture! help me!

Feeling,   Here's a thread on posting pics, be sure to read down to Papajin's post... http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=40968.0

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #132 on: 13 Oct 2008, 12:14 pm »
Thank you.... :thumb:

Al and Marjorie....Red Rock Audio....and the Colorado Audio Society for hosting this years RMAF....a very enjoyable show. :beer:

And.....some date's to mark on your calender..... :wink:

->>  RMAF 2009  <<-

Oct. 2 - 4, 2009

anubisgrau

« Reply #133 on: 13 Oct 2008, 11:10 pm »
has anyone heard RAAL omni ribbons?

also BD-design room with oris swing mk2?

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #134 on: 13 Oct 2008, 11:17 pm »
I stopped in Phil's room and listened to the Series 5's he had set up there.  I did not get a chance to speak directly with Phil as another industry representative was there giving Phil feedback on his room setup.  The industry rep and Phil were discussing the apparent forwardness of the high end with the +2 db switch on the Series 5's engaged.  The industry rep speaking to Phil was advising him that he should aim the Series 5's out a littler wider to lower the "forwardness" of the treble.  Phil then advised him about the +2 db switch, they turned it off and we relistened to the same music - some jazz rendition of "I've Been Working on the Railroad".  Phil admitted to the rep that he preferred his treble to be a "little forward", and that he had been switching the +2db switch in and out depending on the piece playing.

I thought the Series 5's sounded very good.  Nice soundstage, crystal clarity in mid base.  I am no audiophile, but I did agree with the industry rep that the Series 5's sounded better with the +2 db treble swith NOT engaged.  Phil was really cordial, some guy in Phil's room giving him "critical" input on his setup and sound - Phil graciously listened and attempted to address the industry reps concerns / input.  Anyway, the speakers sounded very good to my ears - FWIW.

Trey

I don't know which position the switch was in when I was there, but forward, bright, and fatiguing is how I would describe the sound.
If Phil likes 'em forward, maybe he should provide a -2dB switch.  :dunno:

Lin  :)

tvyankee

« Reply #135 on: 13 Oct 2008, 11:45 pm »
hey

sitting in the airport thinking about some of the rooms and the one i liked was the Sonics room. the old designer from Audio Physics, very nice

also the bamberg room sounded good i thought but i think it was the new amps that might of sounded a little forward. Emotiva amps and preamp(xpa2 and rs1).  maybe not the best match.   av123 with dodd stuff sounded a little muddy on the bottom end to me.  i will think some more and post later

AB

« Reply #136 on: 13 Oct 2008, 11:59 pm »
has anyone heard RAAL omni ribbons?

also BD-design room with oris swing mk2?

I listened to the RAAL speakers. The first time I went by to listen I was met at the door and told to come back later - seems they had the usual room boom problems and were working on sorting it out. When I returned, I was really impressed. Those are the COOLEST looking things. As speakers they sounded really cool too.
I liked them and I'm sure that with a proper room and careful set up they would sound world class. As it was they sounded great but their imaging was a little confused.

AB

« Reply #137 on: 14 Oct 2008, 12:08 am »

Cheers!

Jack

I listened to these speakers. I loved their bass - super tight and clean. The upper end was a bit forward for my taste but I figured that could be sorted out with positioning and component choice. They didn't screech or anything like that, they were just super clean and lean. I don't remember there being any mid bloom at all so vocals lacked the meat I prefer.
I would like to hear them in a real room.

stereocilia

« Reply #138 on: 14 Oct 2008, 12:37 am »

Cheers!

Jack

I listened to these speakers. I loved their bass - super tight and clean. The upper end was a bit forward for my taste but I figured that could be sorted out with positioning and component choice. They didn't screech or anything like that, they were just super clean and lean. I don't remember there being any mid bloom at all so vocals lacked the meat I prefer.
I would like to hear them in a real room.

My impression was that the treble, bass, and midrange all fit together seamlessly which is a very good thing.  I agree these were super-clean sounding, and personally I think a forward-sounding speaker has to sound clean and fast otherwise it will be fatiguing.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #139 on: 15 Oct 2008, 11:51 pm »
Stereophile's blog entry on RMAF:

http://blog.stereophile.com/rmaf2008/