San Francisco Audiophile Society interviews Clayton - 2 hr Zoom Meeting

Spatial Audio

Hey Everyone,

I did a 2 hour Zoom meeting with the San Francisco Audiophile Society a couple of weeks ago and the Youtube video just posted. For the first time I cover my 5 principles of loudspeaker design and took questions from the audience. Thanks to SFAS and I hope you enjoy it.

https://youtu.be/Su41Ivt7VbA

Clayton
Spatial Audio Lab

Rushca01

Can’t wait to watch.  Is that a Kandinsky painting?

Spatial Audio

Can’t wait to watch.  Is that a Kandinsky painting?

Yes, it is a 1913 Kandinsky work (print of course). I love his work.

Clayton

TomS

Looks like a little white cat was let out of the bag  :green:

Spatial Audio

Looks like a little white cat was let out of the bag  :green:

Yeah, I was not going say anything about upcoming designs - Oh well.

Clayton

Grahamps

Clayton, that was enjoyable!

fridays

Very interesting YouTube replay, until COVID

ric

Always interesting to hear about new speakers--perhaps now that the word is out, we can all put in 2 cents for a name. I personally do not have more than one system, but it seems that many would want these new speakers, since they would be versatile--second system, perhaps replacing headphone listening or using as a small first system in a small room. Modular add-ons might be interesting, if it's viable option. Always informative, and I look forward to  hearing reviews!

paolocaminiti

Wow the new platform is interesting!
And finally something in the right price range to be a recommendation to friends.
Also since it won't weight too much it may be easier to ship to Europe :D
Really looking forward to see the specs, hope the project works!

Hear Clifford Brown

That was brilliant Clayton, really enjoyed it, very informative. I liked your comments about hearing your sister’s piano practice every morning over time and how that was a big advantage, because you now really know what a piano sounds like, and knowing that helps so much in speaker development.  And your discussion of low crossover points and how important that is, as well as how high efficiency really helps make a speaker sound like live music.  Well done, the whole interview.

One question, at the very end the question is asked: would a diffusor behind a Spatial Audio OB speaker be detrimental or beneficial, and your response is that it won’t affect bass but will affect treble so it’s fine and better than a blank wall. You go on to say what’s even better is low frequency absorption, a 4-inch-thick panel right behind each speaker.  This was at the very end of the interview so no time to elaborate, but it would be nice to know if you already have three or more feet between speakers and the front wall, would absorption panels right behind each speaker still be recommended?

Jeff

Spatial Audio

That was brilliant Clayton, really enjoyed it, very informative. I liked your comments about hearing your sister’s piano practice every morning over time and how that was a big advantage, because you now really know what a piano sounds like, and knowing that helps so much in speaker development.  And your discussion of low crossover points and how important that is, as well as how high efficiency really helps make a speaker sound like live music.  Well done, the whole interview.

One question, at the very end the question is asked: would a diffusor behind a Spatial Audio OB speaker be detrimental or beneficial, and your response is that it won’t affect bass but will affect treble so it’s fine and better than a blank wall. You go on to say what’s even better is low frequency absorption, a 4-inch-thick panel right behind each speaker.  This was at the very end of the interview so no time to elaborate, but it would be nice to know if you already have three or more feet between speakers and the front wall, would absorption panels right behind each speaker still be recommended?
Jeff

Place the bass traps against the wall or in the corners, not right behind the speakers. My interview statement was unclear on this point.
I recommend everyone employ bass traps. They reduce the phase cancellation effects caused by reflections in the low frequency range, which cause uneven bass response. GIK Acoustics has a line of 4 inch thick bass traps that are very affordable.

Clayton

TomS

Place the bass traps against the wall or in the corners, not right behind the speakers....

Clayton
Just to clarify, I assume you mean it's ok if they're against the wall directly behind the speakers, which are at least 3' away from that front wall (and traps).

Spatial Audio

Just to clarify, I assume you mean it's ok if they're against the wall directly behind the speakers, which are at least 3' away from that front wall (and traps).

Hi Tom,

Yes, directly behind but against the wall is fine.

Clayton

sockpit

I've been dealing with GIK and am waiting on four Monster bass traps.

I only repeat this, because everything I've read and everything Mike at GIK has told me indicates that the thicker the bass trap the better. 

They have 4 inch thick traps, but they also have 5. something and 8. something thick traps.  Plus a "soffit" trap rectangular cube that is something like 17 inches thick.

The thicker the trap the lower it can go.  Four inches go down to about 100 hz.  8 inchers go to 60.  Soffit traps even deeper.

The point is that Mike repeatedly assures me that in a small room like mine you cannot have too much low absorption--moreover, both he and Clayton have both assured me that this will make my bass at once more articulate and more pronounced. I'm trying to get rid of perceived brightness hopefully due to bass cancellation in the room.  Counterintuitive, but consistent with lots of chatter online by acoustic engineers who should know.

Hear Clifford Brown

Back in 1994 I got on the phone with Ethan Winer to order some Real Traps.  He was real generous with his time and explained a lot, said the same one thing about most rooms needing lots of low end absorption, and that bass absorption panels with air space behind them work more effectively.  So putting them at room boundaries like in a corner where two walls meet is a good idea.  In my room I only have three corners where I can do that because of the location of windows & doors etc.  So I had to put some at the ceiling wall boundary which isn't as aesthetically pleasing to my eye but I did it anyway.  I originally had six of the original Real Traps, now have four plus two GIK Tri-Trap Corner Bass Traps.
« Last Edit: 25 Sep 2020, 01:22 pm by Hear Clifford Brown »

529proaudio

Very interesting YouTube replay, until COVID

What does this mean???

fiat79

I understand the announcement of the new speakers was a bit premature but I for one can't wait!  Finally, something in the Spatial lineup that I can afford while I'm saving up for X5s.  A smaller floorstander with 10" woofers is just perfect - thanks Clayton!!  Post the specs as soon as you can, even if they're preliminary.

fiat79

Clayton, you're killing me!  I know you're up to your eyeballs in work but the waiting for the newest Spatial member is too much!  Give us something to go on.... some specs like drivers, height, width, nominal low end, price, etc - heck, maybe a pic or drawing - anything.  :D :D