Janszen Valentina A8 speakers

BruceSB

Re: Janszen Valentina A8 speakers
« Reply #20 on: 4 Aug 2020, 09:52 am »
Makes sense.
And if it works for you go for it.
Hope I have been of some help.
And look, I understand that your approach is part of your journey.
I too am of the 'do your homework thoroughly' school!
By doing my home work and not rushing I have managed to avoid buying a dud over a lifetime of being a music lover and an audiophile.
There people here who are both knowledgable and good hearted.
All the best in your investigation.
Please let us know what conclusion you come to.
Bruce

Mike-48

« Reply #21 on: 6 Aug 2020, 09:50 pm »
@highstream --

I do agree that to evaluate speakers, one must hear for one's self. Still, in the hope that it will help you, here is my impression of the Valentina P8. I imagine the A8 is similar, if somewhat better in David Janszen's telling.

If someone wants to hear what is on each recording, reproduced with even frequency response, great dynamics, and low distortion, the Valentinas will do it. If the listener wants all recordings to sound similar -- say, warm and comfortable -- the Valentinas probably are not for them.

As to involvement: with a reasonably good recording, I can become quite deeply involved in music when listening through the Valentinas. It's hard to compare to other speakers I've owned (including Apogees, Revels, NHTs, Thiels, and others), as I owned them in different houses, with different systems, and my own age and experience were different. However, none of them was better than the Valentinas at involvement. The Thiels were tough -- too bright for me -- and the Apogees were fun but tended to make all recordings sound big and juicy.

If you don't want to know when a recording has natural ambiance and when it has fake ambiance, the Valentinas are not for you.

One strong point of the Janszens is reduced interaction with the room, compared to cone speakers or dipoles. I like that -- it's a tremendous asset in my low-ceilinged, somewhat narrow, room. Other listeners prefer a lot of room interaction, which to some makes a more agreeable "soundstage." The Janszens can come with side tweeters to mimic that a bit, but the presentation is still different from most cone speakers. You will hear more of the ambiance on the recording, and less what your room adds. At least that's my impression (and that expressed in Robert E Greene's review in TAS), but I should note that my room is acoustically treated, which influences what I hear.

Another strong point is that the tonal balance is adjustable through toe-in (as with many speakers), and also through the woofer and tweeter controls, which most speakers lack these days. That's in the P versions. The A versions have additional adjustments, I believe.

I hope that that helps. Still, and especially if you've not owned electrostatics before, I'd recommend a home trial before ruling them in or out. They are really special speakers -- in a good way. As others have said, people like different flavors, and that's as true of speakers as ice cream.

highstream

« Reply #22 on: 6 Aug 2020, 10:01 pm »
You wrote: "If someone wants to hear what is on each recording, reproduced with even frequency response, great dynamics, and low distortion, the Valentinas will do it. If the listener wants all recordings to sound similar -- say, warm and comfortable -- the Valentinas probably are not for them."

I really wish you hadn't written at all, since the passives and actives are not directly comparable and, more importantly, I wish you hadn't written that paragraph because the second sentence changes the whole tone of the discussion, and that's not something I wish to participate in or think the OP's thread deserves.

Mike-48

« Reply #23 on: 6 Aug 2020, 10:04 pm »
Thought you were the one inquiring -- regret the error.

I don't understand your reaction. I was trying to characterize the speakers. If you were offended by something I wrote, I regret that, too.

highstream

« Reply #24 on: 6 Aug 2020, 10:20 pm »
Your characterization about "warmth" gives evidence of someone who is at least blind to the fact that there are good reasons why everyone does not share their or the same listening preferences, from whatever those preferences derive. With that viewpoint, I don't see the basis of a productive discussion.

Mike-48

« Reply #25 on: 6 Aug 2020, 10:24 pm »
You read into my comments things I did not write, my friend.

Bpack

« Reply #26 on: 24 Dec 2020, 10:33 pm »
Hey folks. I’m intrigued with the JansZen’s. However, I’ve read nothing about their sound in a mostly HT application. We have a large Great Room, 25’ x 40’ x 16’. We’re wanting a system which will supply this entire area with beautiful sound but also fun HT. I love the concept of an all powered speaker for simplicity and also component compatibility.
              Can anyone comment on this environment and use. Actives up front and passives on the sides and in the rear? 60/40 HT to music. Thanks all. Happy Christmas!

Mike-48

« Reply #27 on: 27 Dec 2020, 10:30 pm »
As I said in another thread, Janszen now has an "SE" = "Sound Everywhere" option that might be good for HT applications.

rfertel

« Reply #28 on: 30 Dec 2020, 10:00 pm »
The best way to get insight into the capability of the Janszens in a home theater setting is to speak with David Janszen. No one knows more about the Valentina than he does.

Mike-48

« Reply #29 on: 30 Dec 2020, 10:15 pm »
The best way to get insight into the capability of the Janszens in a home theater setting is to speak with David Janszen. No one knows more about the Valentina than he does.
I'll second that. He is knowledgeable and personable.

Bpack

« Reply #30 on: 31 Dec 2020, 05:43 am »
I appreciate the responses and I’ll do just that. I find it interesting though, that there seems to be so little conversation about a speaker line and maker that generates nothing but positive reviews. I hear B&W, B&O, ML, GE, KEF, HSU, Sopra, REL, Legacy, Magnepan, Revel, Tekton, Spatial.............but never JansZen. So, where’s the love? Sure seems deserving.

tino27

« Reply #31 on: 1 Mar 2021, 09:04 pm »
(Warning: Very happy fellow Janszen owner here.)

Both of David's previous models (zA1.1s and zA2.1s, now the Carmelita and Valentina) have been reviewed in The Absolute Sound. That was how I actually found out about them.

My guess as to the "flying under the radar" nature of the brand may be likely due to the fact that Janszen is a small mom-and-pop operation located in Columbus, OH and they may just not have the advertising budget to regularly run ads in TAS and Stereophile. I do know that they participate in some of the regular audio expo circuit (I've seen David several times at AXPONA) to raise brand awareness.

artur9

« Reply #32 on: 3 Mar 2021, 01:34 am »
If I had the budget, I wouldn't hesitate to call/email David Janszen and ask what he could do for me in  7.n HT system.  The za2.1s have the dynamics, clarity etc that would be mindblowing in HT. 

Makes me daydream about which movie should have pride of place in that setup....

BruceSB

« Reply #33 on: 3 Mar 2021, 01:48 am »
Hi artur9
I see that you are a Home Theatre guy.
Can I say that there was a time (& maybe there still is) that David was looking at making a centre speaker.
I may even have a sketch of it stashed away somewhere!
If you are at all interested in it why not send David an email?
He is a great person to deal with.
All the best.
Bruce

Mike-48

« Reply #34 on: 3 Mar 2021, 06:33 pm »
So, where’s the love? Sure seems deserving.
Smaller manufacturer, fewer customers to crow. But we who have them do love them.

artur9

« Reply #35 on: 4 Mar 2021, 12:27 am »
If you are at all interested in it why not send David an email?

Thanks, BruceSB.  I think you missed the part where I said "If I had the budget...."

Now that you remind me, I have to start saving and figure out some way to hide the expense from the bean counters....

Mike-48

« Reply #36 on: 4 Mar 2021, 12:59 am »
Thanks, BruceSB.  I think you missed the part where I said "If I had the budget...."
Artur, a word to the wise -- Janszen sometimes has used or demo speakers available. Maybe a little easier to save for.

BruceSB

« Reply #37 on: 4 Mar 2021, 02:39 am »
How do you eat an elephant?
Answer - one bite at a time!
How do you upgrade your HiFi?
Answer one item at a time!
Artur9, I am sure that as soon as you get a pair of David's speakers you will be both shocked and amazed at how good they are!
So will your significant other!
That will also help the upgrade process!!!!
All the best.
Bruce

artur9

« Reply #38 on: 5 Mar 2021, 02:24 am »
Artur9, I am sure that as soon as you get a pair of David's speakers you will be both shocked and amazed at how good they are!
I have a pair which is why I know I want a Janszen 7.n system for a future HT.

BruceSB

« Reply #39 on: 5 Mar 2021, 06:21 am »
Looks like I am preaching to the choir!!!
Bruce