The HT3 Blues

Images

Re: The HT3 Blues
« Reply #20 on: 3 Jun 2008, 03:25 pm »
If you want to see speaker recomendations that are all over the board, try this thread I started at the beginning of the year.  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=49102.0  At least this time the focus is on Jim Salk designed offerings.  The idea is to find what else to consider, as a compromise, (because almost all component selection involves a degree of compromise) to the HT3s.  As our earlier Australian audiophile implied, some of us are "audition impaired."   I live in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.  I've also seen three local high-end shops fold in the past ten years, and now what is left is either "Best Buy" or "consultants" that only are interested in Home Theater installations. 

The sub / sat compromise mentioned earlier is really a path I do not wish to travel.  Other than Salk products, the only other speaker menitioned here is from SP tech.  The primary criteria in this search is to determine "what combination of transducers will allow satisfying orchestral reproduction in my living room."   The operative -- and subjective -- term here is "satisfying."  In my mind this involves/requires articulate musical reproduction.  I believe that both the HT3s and possibly the Minis will afford me this.  Of course, I am open to other suggestions, but I guess I must mean in comparison to the HT3s (and possibly from the same designer.)  That's why this thread has the title it does and is located on a Salk board.

What has been determined, at least in my mind, is that Jim's yet to be released OB speaker could well be a satisfying alternative to the HT3s. 

Yes, I would like to audition more speakers than are available to me locally.  My good idea (but probably my wife thinks otherwise) is to hop a plane, travel the 3340 miles that separate Honolulu and Denver, and find myself at RMAF in October.  If and until then, I will rely on the experience, wisdom, and good will of other AC members to help me in my speaker quest.   

jhm731

« Reply #21 on: 3 Jun 2008, 04:49 pm »
I live in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.  I've also seen three local high-end shops fold in the past ten years, and now what is left is either "Best Buy" or "consultants" that only are interested in Home Theater installations. 

:lol: You have two excellent high-end shops on Oahu:

Audio Lab
660 Ala Moana Blvd Suite 102
Honolulu, HI 96813
808-595-8066

HIFI HAWAII
1170 NU'UANU AVE
SUITE 103
HONOLULU, HI   96817
(808) 536-4434
www.hifihawaii.com

If your buget can handle the HT3s, then I suggest you drive to HIFI HAWAII and listen to the PMC OB1i. Shane is also a dealer for Magnepan.

A hui hou aku

Zero

« Reply #22 on: 3 Jun 2008, 04:57 pm »
Images,

JHM makes a GREAT suggestion with Hi-Fi Hawaii.  Shane is extremely knowledgable on all things audio, and is one of the good guys in this business. Give him a ring, set up an appointment, and get your listen-on!

Images

« Reply #23 on: 3 Jun 2008, 10:22 pm »
I live in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.  I've also seen three local high-end shops fold in the past ten years, and now what is left is either "Best Buy" or "consultants" that only are interested in Home Theater installations. 

:lol: You have two excellent high-end shops on Oahu:

Audio Lab
660 Ala Moana Blvd Suite 102
Honolulu, HI 96813
808-595-8066

HIFI HAWAII
1170 NU'UANU AVE
SUITE 103
HONOLULU, HI   96817
(808) 536-4434
www.hifihawaii.com

If your buget can handle the HT3s, then I suggest you drive to HIFI HAWAII and listen to the PMC OB1i. Shane is also a dealer for Magnepan.

A hui hou aku

Well this certainly is welcome news. :hyper:  I always did business with Steward Ono, who disappeared in November... and there were two other firms before him that have closed up shop.   I am sure some people have had excellent dealings with Tom at Audio Lab, but unfortunately I have not been one of them.  I believe he has the impression my wallet is too thin.  (Maybe it is.) I will have to give Shane a call.  Don't know how he came in under my radar.  Thanks for the headsup! :notworthy:

Zero

« Reply #24 on: 3 Jun 2008, 10:29 pm »
Images,

Tom is an interesting fella. While he has a greater variety of product to demo, I'm confident you will walk away with a much better experience with Hifi Hawaii.

stereodad

« Reply #25 on: 3 Jun 2008, 10:56 pm »
Be sure to tell Tom you got his link at the Salk audiocircle.

Nuance

« Reply #26 on: 3 Jun 2008, 11:12 pm »
Images -

I don't recall our specific coorespondence with regard to the HT3's vs. the QW's (I don't have any emails from "Images").  So I don't know why I would have tried to talk you out of the QW's.  They are an extremely nice speaker - probabaly my all-time favorite 2-way speaker and great for archestral music.  Perhaps the context of our conversation was in relation to the HT3's and there is no contest there.

That said, the OB design (as of yet unnamed...sorry, I'll get to it soon), just may be the speaker for you.  It likely will fit your original budget.  But there is one, as of yet, unannounced feature that may seal the deal so to speak.

The original OB design introduced at AK Fest last month used a Morel dome tweeter.  I was, and still am, VERY pleased with this design.  And most people who heard it seemed to be impressed as well.

After the successful debut of the design, Jeff Bagby and I talked about where to take it from here.  Jeff had worked on the Pharos design on our web site and asked if I thought it would be worth doing a version of this OB design using the G2 ribbon tweeter.  I said yes and Jeff worked up the crossover modifications to implement the G2.

We are currently building a few pairs of these speakers for customers.  At least one of these pairs (and perhaps all of them) will have the G2 ribbon installed.

I think the G2/PHL/Lambda design should offer a price/performance ratio that will be very difficult to top.  And I think this design should be right up there toward the top of the list of speakers you might want to consider.

I hope this helps.

- Jim
AWESOME!  All these new Salk speakers makes me want to get a weekend job so I can buy a pair of each.   :green:

Images - whichever design you go with, I think you're gonna love it!  I've got a pair of Song Tower's on the way, and Orchestral music has never sounded so good at that price range.  I can't imagine how great the new OB's or HT3's would be, but the two words that come to mind are "audio nirvana." 

Frisco

« Reply #27 on: 3 Jun 2008, 11:59 pm »
Images,

Tom is an interesting fella. While he has a greater variety of product to demo, I'm confident you will walk away with a much better experience with Hifi Hawaii.

I second that as I bought my system from Shane @ Hifi Hawaii......super nice guy with a wealth of experience  :thumb:

I bought my McIntosh 6300 and PMC GB1 i and I couldn't be happier...... :drool:

cujobob

« Reply #28 on: 4 Jun 2008, 07:14 am »
Salk and SP Tech are both excellent choices, in that pricerange I'd also throw in the LS-6/LS-9 AV123 is selling if you want/can fit a line source design.  I have to admit, I'm in a pretty similar position whereas $4k was really pushing my budget, though I lusted after some HT3s.  Ultimately, I found that I cannot accept a speaker without getting all of the upgrades  :duh: and that'd push the HT3s far out of my price-range.  I decided on some LS speakers pre-ordered from AV123 because ...meh, what the hell, right?  :thumb:

This new OB design should be excellent...I know of one HT3 owner that may switch to those when they come out and he absolutely loves his HT3s.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #29 on: 4 Jun 2008, 10:21 am »
Salk and SP Tech are both excellent choices, in that pricerange I'd also throw in the LS-6/LS-9 AV123 is selling if you want/can fit a line source design.  I have to admit, I'm in a pretty similar position whereas $4k was really pushing my budget, though I lusted after some HT3s.  Ultimately, I found that I cannot accept a speaker without getting all of the upgrades  :duh: and that'd push the HT3s far out of my price-range.  I decided on some LS speakers pre-ordered from AV123 because ...meh, what the hell, right?  :thumb:

This new OB design should be excellent...I know of one HT3 owner that may switch to those when they come out and he absolutely loves his HT3s.

One problem with going with the AV123 or SP Tech route is their ability to deliver product. 

Neither has shown that they can deliver product (LS-6's and LS-9's with AV123, their other models don't have the same issues) even close to the promised release date or schedule.  While Salk speakers are built to order, Jim not only has improved on his turnaround time, he generally delivers when promised.

While this may or may not be an issue, I think it definitely should be a factor in the buying equation.

For me personally, I would not buy from any vendor that consistently has problems delivering product.

George
« Last Edit: 4 Jun 2008, 09:18 pm by zybar »

Big Red Machine

« Reply #30 on: 4 Jun 2008, 12:08 pm »

Dave, you already know my feelings there.  Something to consider is those things are freakin' huge.  Even for a big guy like me they were a real pain to lug around.  There is no reason to buy HT3s other than stock.  They are vastly superior, as in lifelong happiness superior, versus others.  Believe me when I say I continue to improve the sound with every tweak and I am extremely happy right now because they continue to be clear, accurate, pleasing, detailed, energetic, sweet, powerful, etc. even as I keep pouring more into the system.  They just don't stop giving.

sanlanman

« Reply #31 on: 4 Jun 2008, 12:32 pm »

Dave, you already know my feelings there.  Something to consider is those things are freakin' huge.  Even for a big guy like me they were a real pain to lug around.  There is no reason to buy HT3s other than stock.  They are vastly superior, as in lifelong happiness superior, versus others.  Believe me when I say I continue to improve the sound with every tweak and I am extremely happy right now because they continue to be clear, accurate, pleasing, detailed, energetic, sweet, powerful, etc. even as I keep pouring more into the system.  They just don't stop giving.

I have heard the HT3 and the ST speakers at AudioKarma Fest a while back and heard the HT3 and V3 speakers at Big Red's house that evening. They are all good, but may I suggest you consider the V3s if the HT3s are just out of your price range. They really give up very little on the bottom end to HT3s, and are extemely close over the rest of the range. I had made up my mind to order some V3s, then some medical issues and testing have come up, so I am holding off ordering until the diagnosis and bill paying is complete. These speakers would serve about 50/50 stereo and home threater duty for me. The V monster center is too big for me but I am thinking that maybe an HT2 monitor with the tweeter rotated 90 Degrees might make a fairly good center channel. Jim or Dennis would that be sensible?

sanlanman

« Reply #32 on: 4 Jun 2008, 12:33 pm »
OOPs double post.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #33 on: 4 Jun 2008, 12:40 pm »

My pair of HT3's was stock (there were no options way back when) and they performed exceedingly well.  Pete is correct in stating you don't need any upgrades for them to perform at a very high level.

Now if you fall into the audiophile category of wanting to squeeze every last ounce of performance from your system AND all of your other gear is already top notch, by all means, get some upgrades.

George

Philistine

« Reply #34 on: 4 Jun 2008, 01:11 pm »
Images - I have a pair of HT3's, and spent time with Jim on the phone, and face to face, before deciding on any upgrades.
Should you go down the Salk path Jim will give it to you straight (as per his earlier post) on what best meets your financial and sonic needs, and I would give him a call.  Obviouly he knows his products intimately and will give you an unbiased view on the comparative and relative strengths of each of his models, and any upgrade advice.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #35 on: 4 Jun 2008, 03:03 pm »
I'll take the Audi! :wink:

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #36 on: 4 Jun 2008, 03:26 pm »
The V monster center is too big for me but I am thinking that maybe an HT2 monitor with the tweeter rotated 90 Degrees might make a fairly good center channel. Jim or Dennis would that be sensible?
[/quote]

Well, there's already a center with the same woofers and the G2 tweeter in that configuration.  I don't think it would be worth designing a whole to crossover just to match the tweeter of the V3.  The G2 and LCY have very similar response profiles, and I can't say that one is superior to the other. 

brj

« Reply #37 on: 4 Jun 2008, 06:04 pm »
Quote from: BrianM
I do my share of surfing online and I have heard from no, zero, dissatisfied Salk customers.

I'm aware of a few cabinet finishing issues, driver problems, shipping incidents, etc., but to the best of my knowledge, the customers affected have always given Jim the opportunity to address the issues and Jim has always managed to make the customer happy.

sanlanman

« Reply #38 on: 4 Jun 2008, 07:09 pm »
The V monster center is too big for me but I am thinking that maybe an HT2 monitor with the tweeter rotated 90 Degrees might make a fairly good center channel. Jim or Dennis would that be sensible?

Well, there's already a center with the same woofers and the G2 tweeter in that configuration.  I don't think it would be worth designing a whole to crossover just to match the tweeter of the V3.  The G2 and LCY have very similar response profiles, and I can't say that one is superior to the other. 
[/quote]

Dennis, I don't want to hijack the thread so I will P M you.

Images

« Reply #39 on: 4 Jun 2008, 09:01 pm »

One problem with going with the AV123 or SP Tech route is their ability to deliver product. 

Neither has shown that they can deliver product (LS-6's and LS-9's with AV123, their other models don't have the same issues) even close to the promised release date or schedule.  While Salk speakers are built to order, Jim not only has improved on his turnaround time, he generally delivers when promised.

While this may or may not be an issue, I think it is definitely should be a factor in the buying equation.

For me personally, I would not buy from any vendor that consistently has problems delivering product.

George

I agree.  Initially I was enamored with a monitor concept allowing for orchestral reproduction, as was reported of the SP Tech Minis in the original January thread.  I admit, the delivery issues have caused me to shy away.  I had an experience with  a "modder" that produced a DAC a few years back.  After waiting 11 months for delivery, I gave up.  I don't want to be exposed to anything like that again, even if it means a greater initial investment.

I know there are SP Tech advocates who will assure me I needn't have this concern.  Regardless, it's really spilt milk, and I think the designer knows it.  Once you are unable to keep a commitment, then your credibility comes into question, unavoidably.  If you are in business, as I believe many of us are, then we know there is either getting it done, or not getting it done.  Anything in between is merely an excuse masquerading as an explanation. 

I should mention that the very first amp I ever owned was a Frank Van Alstine modded Dyanco 70, circa 1969.  Obviously, he's been at this game for a while.  If he chooses to use the HT3s as a referecne, I have to be significantly swayed by that.

I am grateful for all these posts.  Sometimes I am surprised by the willingness of AC members to recommend components, even if they use or represent something else.  There is a lot of integrity in this.