WiFi Booster/Router Extender

Don_S

WiFi Booster/Router Extender
« on: 17 Mar 2022, 08:15 pm »
I have a music server that stores music internally. I control it from a laptop or desktop using VNC. Unfortunately the server gives me lots of aggravation and won't connect. I get the message from VNC that it is not searching for cloud connections. That means the music server isn't connected to the internet. It does work with a 50 Ethernet cable connected but that is not a permanent solution.

My iPad, laptop, and Kindle all work in that room using their internal WiFi devices so the signal is not that bad.

The music server has an Alfa WiFi adapter does not get the job done on that unit but does work on another one so I know it isn't completely defective.
https://smile.amazon.com/ALFA-AWUS036ACH-%E3%80%90Type-C%E3%80%91-Long-Range-Dual-Band/dp/B08SJC78FH/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2GDUC5DFX26F&keywords=alfa+wifi&qid=1647546125&sprefix=alfa+wifi%2Caps%2C162&sr=8-3

Suggestions? Anything less expensive than this? I have no idea how good this unit is since the reviews are for blankets, cameras, and other items. Way to go Amazon. I need an extender with at least one Ethernet port. If you know of a unit that really works please let me know.

https://smile.amazon.com/Extender-Booster-1200Mbps-Repeater-Speed-2022-F/dp/B09PZG3X93/ref=sr_1_2?crid=JVA3NX6ILYNV&keywords=router+extender&qid=1647547413&sprefix=router%2520extender%2Caps%2C140&sr=8-2

Doublej

Re: WiFi Booster/Router Extender
« Reply #1 on: 17 Mar 2022, 09:08 pm »
Your music server can't connect to the wifi router in the house but other devices can from the same physical location in the house.

Have you confirmed that the music server's wifi card is turned on?  Can see your wifi network from the  music server? If yes, what is the signal strength reading from the music server? What is it from the iPad, laptop, and Kindle when in the same location as the music server?

What are you using for the music server? What operating system is it running and are both the operating system and manufacturer's patches up to date?

Don_S

« Reply #2 on: 17 Mar 2022, 10:44 pm »
I think the music server has a WiFi card. Does that matter with the Alpha external WiFi device connected?

Doublej

« Reply #3 on: 17 Mar 2022, 11:14 pm »
I think the music server has a WiFi card. Does that matter with the Alpha external WiFi device connected?

It might or might not matter. Why do you need to use an Alpha WIFI device if your music server has a built in WIFI device? If you want to use the Alpha with the music server then you want to make sure the built in WIFI device is disabled and the Alpha is enabled.

sunnydaze

« Reply #4 on: 17 Mar 2022, 11:26 pm »
I use this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084CZMYNM/?coliid=I1IZYCDL40LHWE&colid=3CYUXA852AIKX&psc=1&ref_=gv_ov_lig_pi_dp

It works great using my streamer (which was having dropouts / connection problems when using wifi) in a bedroom that is distant from the router.  It basically turns your home's wiring into an ethernet connection.  Your device connects to this via ethernet cable.  Hard wired so it's reliable.

Don_S

« Reply #5 on: 17 Mar 2022, 11:50 pm »
Thanks for the information and recommendation.

I use this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084CZMYNM/?coliid=I1IZYCDL40LHWE&colid=3CYUXA852AIKX&psc=1&ref_=gv_ov_lig_pi_dp

It works great using my streamer (which was having dropouts / connection problems when using wifi) in a bedroom that is distant from the router.  It basically turns your home's wiring into an ethernet connection.  Your device connects to this via ethernet cable.  Hard wired so it's reliable.

Don_S

« Reply #6 on: 17 Mar 2022, 11:54 pm »
It might or might not matter. Why do you need to use an Alpha WIFI device if your music server has a built in WIFI device? If you want to use the Alpha with the music server then you want to make sure the built in WIFI device is disabled and the Alpha is enabled.

I am now remembering the last time I used that music player in that system. I have two systems and the other one has an Ethernet port in the wall so no problems using the player there. I was having intermittent problems with connection with the music player in the WiFi-only room. So I added the Alpha as a booster. It worked fine then but not now. The only thing I am doing differently now is the rack is on a side wall slightly farther away but only by a few   feet.

Doublej

« Reply #7 on: 18 Mar 2022, 12:15 am »
You should be able to see the WIFI signal strength that the adapter is getting...

Don_S

« Reply #8 on: 18 Mar 2022, 01:48 am »
Problem solved for now. Tech support (my neighbor) suggested I check the internet setting. For some reason it had turned itself off. I selected connect automatically and hope it sticks this time.