Using 7-channel receiver to bi- or tri-amp

ccvogel

Using 7-channel receiver to bi- or tri-amp
« on: 20 May 2011, 03:47 pm »
I have a Yamaha RX-V657 7-channel AV receiver that includes a "7-channel stereo" mode.

If I ignore the output for the center channel, I would have 3 L-channel and 3 R-channel amplifiers with which to bi- or tri-amp.

Am I correct?

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Re: Using 7-channel receiver to bi- or tri-amp
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2011, 03:50 pm »
I think that would be 6 mono channels.

Pez

« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2011, 03:52 pm »
Assuming there is no sort of matrixing, which I doubt with Yamaha equipment, you could theoretically use it for biaming or tramping. Usually though it won't work because they add echoing effects and other things to make it sound more spacious.
« Last Edit: 20 May 2011, 07:00 pm by Pez »

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2011, 04:00 pm »
I don't know what kind of DSP is used but I feel like I hear identical sound from each speakers, at least on Onkyo.

ccvogel

« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2011, 04:06 pm »
I think that would be 6 mono channels.
The User's manual is very sketchy, but it says the 7-channel stereo mode can be "[used] to increase the output stereo sources (in stereo) from all speakers"; so I was hoping that I wouldn't be restricted to mono.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2011, 04:07 pm »
  Nelson Pass at the DIY meetings used a multichannel amp to drive his DIY open baffle wonders. Worth a try.

charles

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2011, 04:10 pm »
It would be no issue if it were a 7 channel amp, Charles.  We are talking about 7-stereo mode using the receiver's DSP.  What is going into each channel?  I know I get louder sound out of surrounds and rears like they are being fed the same input. 

srb

« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2011, 04:15 pm »
The pairs of channels will be output in stereo and the center channel will have a summed mono output.  If you're using an analog input source, it's possible that the main L/R channels may be unprocessed, but the other channels are more than likely going through A/D and D/A conversion.

If you're using a digital input source, then it is a moot point.

If the Yamaha works like my Rotel, then there is no additional matrixing or delay effects like are used for derived Dolby/DTS modes and proprietary room simulations.

Steve

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #8 on: 20 May 2011, 04:22 pm »
It would be no issue if it were a 7 channel amp, Charles.  We are talking about 7-stereo mode using the receiver's DSP.  What is going into each channel?  I know I get louder sound out of surrounds and rears like they are being fed the same input.

Next time I'll read it through sorry, my bad.

charles

chrisby

« Reply #9 on: 20 May 2011, 06:06 pm »
when an operating manual has 106 pages, it can be easier to find the connections on the rear panel than to understand how to get the CPU  to let you do what you want  :wink:

If there is a complete bypass of all DSP and surround processing while retaining both master volume and channel level controls when using the direct multi-channel inputs,  then perhaps?

However, if you were hoping to use the internal crossover controls included in most of the latest surround receivers (even my $400 Denon has functions including Audyssey that 10yrs ago would have cost several times that for the processing /XO alone),  I think you'll find they are integral to DSP/surround modes and may not work adequately for your purposes in "2 channel stereo"  only.

when I managed to get my rig to work reasonably well (without rear/surrounds yet),  I carefully but the manual away and try to use the cable box's remote, not programmed for anything but volume control of the receiver most of the time - it's way too easy to accidentally push the wrong button on the Denon's control, and it can take 5 minutes to restore.   

I'm sure it can do far more than I ask it to, but the learning curve ...
:thumb:

Pez

« Reply #10 on: 20 May 2011, 07:16 pm »
I say go for it, if it works great! if there's some sort of DSP business going on you'll probably be able to tell right away. Either way you are protected by the passive crossover in your speakers assuming they have one. As long as you take the normal precautions involved any time you make a change like this you should be good to go.