Speaker model by room size

hawkjeff

Speaker model by room size
« on: 6 Oct 2020, 09:26 pm »
I'm looking at possibly investing in my first pair of Omegas. I haven't actually had the chance to hear them but everything I read leads me to think they will be a great fit for some of my sensibilities. My first step is to pick a model to start with. I saw a pair of Super 8 XRS for sale used, but alas they were no longer available by the time I got to them. A pair of Super 7s are in a city somewhat far, but maybe achievable. I've also considered a new pair of Compact or regular Super Alnico Monitors.

My room is approximately 17'x22' with 8' ceilings. My system sits on the 17' wall. Which would be the best models for me to start with? Am I better off trying to get into a tower or should I go with monitors and then consider adding a sub if I need more bass?

NoDisco

Re: Speaker model by room size
« Reply #1 on: 7 Oct 2020, 12:37 am »
I have sams in a slightly smaller space. Positioning is important.

NickMimi

« Reply #2 on: 7 Oct 2020, 01:32 am »
My room is 16x24 w/18’ ceiling that opens further into the rest of the house. I need full sized towers, well away from the walls to enjoy the music best. I use XRS 6 Alnico versions and enjoy them immensely. You have a much nicer ceiling configuration, i bet you could get away with  The smaller versions but might enjoy full sized best. Either way i think you should be pretty happy.

hawkjeff

« Reply #3 on: 7 Oct 2020, 02:17 am »
I have sams in a slightly smaller space. Positioning is important.

Are you happy with what they give you in that space? And what have you found to be the positioning nuances? Do they do better further from the wall, for example?

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #4 on: 7 Oct 2020, 02:27 am »
Random thoughts....

If you are considering XRS, I would suggest HO instead, which would be smaller than the XRS.  It gives a bit more bass output than the single driver monitor and has higher sensitivity.  It is logical to think that the larger speaker needs a bigger room.  My sense is that they are better for a smaller room than singles as they will give more natural frequency response at lower volumes and with less watts. 

I am an advocate for the alnicos over the ferrites.  I find them richer, more textured, more natural.  The highs are fine to my ears; the ferrites have more extended highs.

Regarding subs.... I run SAM HO's with bass reinforcement.  With Louis' blessing, I have the ports completely plugged to make sealed cabinets.  At a slight cost to bass output, I find the bass to be markedly more articulate.  With the subs, the slightly less bass output is no problem whatsoever.  The blending is undetectable (may depend some on the subs you have).  You can get away with less distance from the front wall more than with rear ports.  This doesn't seem to get much response whenever I post about it, so I'm guessing most don't go this route.  But I'd be surprised if someone tried ports plugged with subs and preferred ported.

.....Pete

redwoodaudio

« Reply #5 on: 17 Dec 2020, 11:08 pm »

Regarding subs.... I run SAM HO's with bass reinforcement.  With Louis' blessing, I have the ports completely plugged to make sealed cabinets.  At a slight cost to bass output, I find the bass to be markedly more articulate.  With the subs, the slightly less bass output is no problem whatsoever.  The blending is undetectable (may depend some on the subs you have).  You can get away with less distance from the front wall more than with rear ports.  This doesn't seem to get much response whenever I post about it, so I'm guessing most don't go this route.  But I'd be surprised if someone tried ports plugged with subs and preferred ported.

.....Pete

Super interesting idea.  I have two Omega 10" subs with my Junior Alnico XRS towers.  Worth the experiment.

RDavidson

« Reply #6 on: 18 Dec 2020, 12:24 am »
Either way I would add a sub or two or plan to do so later. I'm definitely not a bass-aholic either. Getting the subs to blend seamlessly has different requirements for each Omega model (accounting for room size and listening preferences, of course). With your room size I would go the 6" HO route or with an 8" model, then augment with a sub or two from there.