WireNut

Re: Hiding MDF joints
« Reply #40 on: 25 Aug 2013, 03:40 am »
The 3M syringe applicator works great.

« Last Edit: 25 Aug 2013, 10:04 am by WireNut »

bdp24

« Reply #41 on: 25 Aug 2013, 11:13 am »
Does anyone have experience with Titebond Liquid Hide glue? It's non-elastic properties make it appear ideal for attaching braces to interior cabinet walls and to each other, or for the assembly of the interior box of a two-layer enclosure.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #42 on: 27 Aug 2013, 12:06 am »
The first pair of cabinets I glued up were too out of square for me to use so I glued a front and back on each box then used them to practice on. Now I have practiced a couple of painting techniques on them. First I brushed on 3 coats of 1-2-3 primer to each box. Then I sprayed one with Rustoleum truck bed liner and the other with a Rustoleum textured multicolor copperish paint.  Here is how the multicolor paint turned out:

Here's the truck bed liner:

The epoxy experiment is going to have to wait awhile, that stuff's expensive. Any idea what kind of coverage a quart of resin will get when used on the outside of speakers?

For my veneering experiment I am going to try a heated iron method using Heat Lock veneer glue. However, nobody local carries it so I am going to have to order it in before I can start.

Mike

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #43 on: 27 Aug 2013, 04:41 pm »
Looking good, Mike :thumb:

WireNut wrote: 
Yes I agree, there are many to choose from. 3M epoxy is used exclusively where I work for any Proctor and Gamble project.
Good to know!  Keep on using our epoxy, and blue painter's tape, and respirators and sand paper, and Bondo, and...Post-It Notes :green:

RAW

« Reply #44 on: 27 Aug 2013, 07:31 pm »
The first pair of cabinets I glued up were too out of square for me to use so I glued a front and back on each box then used them to practice on. Now I have practiced a couple of painting techniques on them. First I brushed on 3 coats of 1-2-3 primer to each box. Then I sprayed one with Rustoleum truck bed liner and the other with a Rustoleum textured multicolor copperish paint.  Here is how the multicolor paint turned out:

Here's the truck bed liner:

The epoxy experiment is going to have to wait awhile, that stuff's expensive. Any idea what kind of coverage a quart of resin will get when used on the outside of speakers?

For my veneering experiment I am going to try a heated iron method using Heat Lock veneer glue. However, nobody local carries it so I am going to have to order it in before I can start.

Mike

Mike
A little info for your finishing with truck bed liner spray.
After doing several hundred spires speakers and Elf small monitors. My tip for doing this.

First seal the end grain of the MDF. I used 50/50 glue and water then switched to shilac.. Shilac one coat dries fast sand then move on.
Next  get some cheap black latex paint. Walmart if you like. Paint the cabinet black FIRST.
Now if the end grain is not sealed reapply some more shilac but sand first then reapply the shilac.

If it works good and the paint shows no signs of end grains move on.
Next paint with the liner spray. Keep back 12" plus to make the desired finish. If you follow this above a can of bed liner spray easy does 4-6 cabinets your size..

Al

Captainhemo

« Reply #45 on: 27 Aug 2013, 10:18 pm »
^^^
Worked well for me too.   I didn't use the Shelac  but did   a few  coats of the glue/water mixsanding  a bit in between coats.
I  used Behr  Premium Primer/Paint   to cover the entire cabinets   before   the liner went on.

I also found it important to  keep shaking that can of rustoleum  bed liner for best results.   If you don't like the color,  you can always top coat the bed liner,  on  my OB7's I used  Dupli Color automotive paint and it worked  very well

-jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #46 on: 27 Aug 2013, 11:55 pm »
With the truck bed liner you don't have to worry about the speakers slipping out of your hand  :green: