Dave's Cables by DaveC113

cab

Re: Dave's Cables by DaveC113
« Reply #40 on: 17 Jul 2013, 04:30 pm »
What is the insulation on the 14 gauge Neotech EC-UPOCC copper wire? Single conductor? Thanks.

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #41 on: 22 Jul 2013, 03:14 pm »
Hi cab, the 14 gauge wire is made of ~1060 strands of 44 gauge UPOCC copper, each strand is individually enamel insulated and braided around a flat film core. The wire is enclosed in a cloth jacket made of 70% cotton, 30% polyester.

The 20 gauge wire is pictured below, the 14g wire is the same except scaled up. The film core is colored red with a sharpie for better visibility. The 14g wire will have a black jacket with white accents.

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #42 on: 23 Jul 2013, 02:56 am »
Here's a prototype D1 XLR cable. Launche and pfarthings are going to give it a try, I appreciate it guys!  :thumb:

It uses Furutech FP-701M and FP-702F gold plated XLR connectors. They are very robust connectors with a metal body and spring-type strain reliefs. The 22 gauge Neotech EC-UPOCC wires are braided with 18 gauge mil spec ground wires. This cable takes a bit more time, effort and money to build, but price will definitely be under $200.

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #43 on: 23 Jul 2013, 03:55 am »
No, thank you Dave for accommodating the request.  I am very pleased to be able to audition your cables.  They look nice and I'm looking forward to hearing them.

ServerAdmin

« Reply #44 on: 23 Jul 2013, 09:35 am »
Might need to be moved to the industry ads section but we'll let Pez or whoever currently facilitates this circle decide.

Right. It would be more helpful if you followed the published guidelines to start with.

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #45 on: 23 Jul 2013, 01:39 pm »
Sorry, I am trying... :oops:

I figured the mod here would move the thread as needed, I did not start it.

JohnR

« Reply #46 on: 23 Jul 2013, 01:54 pm »
I figured the mod here would move the thread as needed, I did not start it.

Sorry but that's nonsense. Why should anyone do extra work for your sake? Read the guidelines!! Please!!????

Thanks ;)

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #47 on: 23 Jul 2013, 02:02 pm »
I sent you a PM John. I am trying, really.  :oops:

I read the guidelines, asked for my membership to be changed to Industry Participant or Contributor and suggested this thread be moved in the first post I made. I cannot delete or move threads myself. Anyway, would be great to keep this to PMs, I would really like to follow any and all rules here and I am not breaking any on purpose.

JohnR

« Reply #48 on: 23 Jul 2013, 02:10 pm »
Look. You can't make commercial/promotional posts in a non-commercial area. That's just simple and obvious. You can't excuse it with "someone else started the thread." Please just use the designated commercial areas for commercial posts.

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #49 on: 24 Jul 2013, 01:37 am »
JohnR, you're right and this thread is now in the right section. Sorry about that. Now for good news!

DHL was a couple days late, and my tracking info said my package was in Tokyo yesterday, but I called and it was sitting at the local delivery dock... not being delivered.

But I got it today!  :D

The wire is made of 1060 strands of 44 gauge UPOCC copper, enamel insulated and braided around a thin/flat film core. Pretty cool!

pfarthing

« Reply #50 on: 7 Aug 2013, 07:13 am »
Oh, interesting. These Furutech XLRs are really great, but did you try Neutriks, though? I just finished comparing about 6 sets of balanced cables and the ones I liked most used cheapo Neutriks (though the cable itself is hideously expensive)

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #51 on: 7 Aug 2013, 09:08 pm »
Oh, interesting. These Furutech XLRs are really great, but did you try Neutriks, though? I just finished comparing about 6 sets of balanced cables and the ones I liked most used cheapo Neutriks (though the cable itself is hideously expensive)

No, I have not tried Neutrik yet. The Furutech plugs I'm using look like Abbatron connectors with a couple differences. I look forward to hearing what you think of the XLR cable!

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #52 on: 15 Aug 2013, 04:48 am »
Some pics of cables...

14 Gauge Speaker Cables

Furutech FT Series Spades and Bananas on 14 Gauge Speaker Cables

11 Gauge Speaker Cables

11 Gauge Speaker Cables, There are flexible leadout wires going into the spades that can be bent to suit.

D2 IC Cable

Furutech FP-101 RCA Plugs

DD IC Cable

Liam2

« Reply #53 on: 17 Aug 2013, 02:44 pm »
Hi Dave,
Thanks for making your cable designs so available.  I built, and have been using for some time a 1/2 metre pair of Deulund 0.5 in simple parallel configuration using Eichmann Silver RCA Bullet Plugs.  Soon I will want to connect a device between my dac and amplifier and will need a second pair of interconnects, ideally matching.  The Deulund silver is expensive and I want to save on expenditure at the moment by not having to buy more.  Your DD design interests me because I could use the existing returns from both cables to make two new pairs using your configuration, though to save on cash I might use the copper version of the Eichmann Bullet plugs, of which I have a spare set already.

My questions are.....have you compared my existing simple parallel Deulund design to your DD?  Have you tried crossing the Deulund foils to compare with simple parallel, as described in the attached link?  If any or all of the forgoing what was your experience?  Finally, do you have a preference for stranded or solid core Neotech for the return from a sound point of view?
http://www.hificollective.co.uk/kits/pdf/duelund_wbt_interconnect_review.pdf

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #54 on: 18 Aug 2013, 12:47 am »
Hi Liam,

Yes, I have tried some different configurations, I will send you a PM.

I will say I am not a fan of parallel runs of wire in ICs.  :green:

Liam2

« Reply #55 on: 18 Aug 2013, 11:06 am »
Thanks for your prompt pm Dave.  I cannot pm you back at the moment, being a new member that is restricted.  I appreciate your advices.  As I said in my original post I have a set of the copper Eichmanns' so I will use those to keep cost down at the moment, there being potential further outlay when I trial the equipment the cables will be needed for.  The Neotech wire is available locally, so I will go with that.  Thanks again and I will keep in touch with the cable tour to learn how others appreciate your different designs.

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #56 on: 30 Aug 2013, 05:11 pm »
I am testing out Neotech's new OCC silver/gold alloy wire. It is 99% silver and 1% gold made with the OCC process and insulated with PE.

The cable uses 4 braided strands of 28 gauge wire, which is braided with the two 18 gauge UPOCC copper ground wires.

BobRex

« Reply #57 on: 30 Aug 2013, 05:31 pm »
I am testing out Neotech's new OCC silver/gold alloy wire. It is 99% silver and 1% gold made with the OCC process and insulated with PE.

The cable uses 4 braided strands of 28 gauge wire, which is braided with the two 18 gauge UPOCC copper ground wires.

This sounds interesting.  Do you hear a difference between multi-multi strand cables and cables using single or dual strands per leg?  There have been "claims" that the fewer strands the better, supposedly providing more coherence and better timing with equal bandwidth.  Both Darwin and Tempo Electric (as well as Audioquest, IIRC) make that claim.

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #58 on: 30 Aug 2013, 05:44 pm »
From my experience, the biggest contributing factors to overall sound quality with the signal leg of an IC cable are material and geometry.

Geometry that reduces the skin effect seems to work best, the D1 and D2 IC cable's signal wire is made of ~166 individually insulated strands of 44 gauge UPOCC copper... it is a litz cable developed for audio use. Litz wire was originally developed for RF applications and is intended to eliminate skin effect.

Duelund and others use a different approach, they use a flat wire or foil type geometry that reduces the thickness and increases the surface area of the conductor.

So in some of my cables there is one strand (DD) and others (D1, D2) have ~166 separate strands. Both work great. So I suppose I don't agree that fewer strands are better. There are far more important factors and using a single strand of wire with a round cross section is never going to provide optimal results imo.

xsb7244

« Reply #59 on: 10 Sep 2013, 01:33 am »
Has anybody done this?  Replace the stock wires in the amp or inside the preamp.  Superfluous?