Bryston 3B vs 3B NRB

bunkertoy

Bryston 3B vs 3B NRB
« on: 30 May 2020, 08:16 pm »
Hi everybody, Hope you're all well.

I have an older Bryston 3B from the 80's, I had it serviced about 8yrs ago. I was thinking of buying a mint condition Bryston 3B NRB, looks like its from the 90's is this an upgrade ? is the NRB as powerful as the older 3B ? I'm driving some older PMC TB1's.
I read the NRB is only about 100 watt per channel. I think my amp is closer to 135 w per channel. I would hate to pay more for a newer amp ($1000), but get less power from it.
My pre amp is an outstanding Bryston 1B

Always appreciate your thoughts and opinions.
Cheers

Hififreak

• www.brystonheritage.com
    • www.hififreaks.nl

GrooveControl

Re: Bryston 3B vs 3B NRB
« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2020, 07:33 pm »
The NRB is actually rated at 120w per channel, so don't worry about it having less power. A few other things to consider are:

1 - XLR inputs in addition to RCA, although this won't matter if using the 1B preamp. 

2 - If your older 3B has the block transformers, the NRB should produce less transformer buzz as the NRB has the newer style transformers.  Based on pics I've seen, some older 3Bs had toroidal just before the NRB, but not mine.

3 - Service history should be considered.  Did you recap your unit 8 years ago? If so, the NRB may have older caps than what you have.

4 - Style preference and condition of the unit. I personally prefer the older 3B style. Is the face of the NRB better than your older 3B. 

Good luck with your decision.   

bunkertoy

Re: Bryston 3B vs 3B NRB
« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2020, 07:37 pm »
I actually love the look of my Bryston. It's the Pro version, so it has the nice honking huge Bryston logo on it.

Thanks guys, always very helpful.