Netflix / Amazon / Disney / Paramount / HBO

Escott1377

Netflix / Amazon / Disney / Paramount / HBO
« on: 11 Aug 2022, 12:51 pm »
You would think with the amount of streaming options that my wife and I could find some common ground on what to watch??

In all seriousness, suggestions are appreciated. 

I like documentaries, she likes Real Housewives.

We just finished watching Alone on Netflix and she enjoyed more than I did.

So, can anyone help?  Whatcha’ got??

Vince in TX

Re: Netflix / Amazon / Disney / Paramount / HBO
« Reply #1 on: 11 Aug 2022, 02:08 pm »
Wife and  are watching WeCrashed on Apple TV right now, and it's pretty good.   It plays more like a movie than a miniseries.   I also watched Black Bird, and it was really  interesting.   Both are based on real events.

Of course, that means you may need to add another streaming service.   We have Netflix / Amazon / Disney / Paramount / HBO / Hulu / Apple TV...   I think I pay way too much for streaming services.    :lol:

VinceT

« Reply #2 on: 11 Aug 2022, 03:01 pm »
Disney - Amazon - Netflix

We have a lot of firestick "apps" so pretty much can watch anything we want, although the sound is not as good on the apps unlike direct from the streaming service in 5.1

kenreau

« Reply #3 on: 11 Aug 2022, 03:51 pm »
"High Maintenance" on HBO is a good couples series.  Started back several years ago with several seasons.

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 11 Aug 2022, 06:43 pm »
You may want to get an HBO subscription by August 21st, or wait 12 weeks and binge.

House of the Dragon
https://youtu.be/9MCqq2LVYw8

Vince in TX

« Reply #5 on: 11 Aug 2022, 06:58 pm »
You may want to get an HBO subscription by August 21st, or wait 12 weeks and binge.

House of the Dragon
https://youtu.be/9MCqq2LVYw8

I'm REALLY looking forward to this and Rings of Power on Amazon next month.  And Andor on Disney.   So much to watch, so little time.   :lol:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #6 on: 11 Aug 2022, 07:02 pm »
Maybe a show with a lighter tone but still quality.  For comedy I really like Psych (about a fake psychic detective) on Amazon.  For action I like Burn Notice and White Collar (Hulu).

WGH

« Reply #7 on: 11 Aug 2022, 07:09 pm »
And don't cancel your Amazon Prime subscription just yet. Although the trailer plays like a daytime soap opera it has potential, even The Witcher improved after the first season.

Sept 2nd - The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power
https://youtu.be/M3Dt4Kz5cRE

Daryl Zero

« Reply #8 on: 11 Aug 2022, 11:51 pm »
On Netflix is Extraordinary Attorney Woo

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt20869502/

https://www.tvguide.com/news/the-best-shows-on-netflix-right-now/

The Sandman was good eps 1 - 6 but I didn't really like eps 7 - 10.
Stranger Things
The Umbrella Academy (weird but watchable)
The Witcher (probably heading outside your wife's territory)
Breaking Bad (top 10 tv show ever)

Amazon has The Boys, Bosch and The Expanse

https://www.pastemagazine.com/tv/amazon/best-amazon-prime-series/

Disney has Marvel stuff or Star Wars stuff

I don't get Paramount

HBO Max has The Doom Patrol, Chernobyl, We Own This City (for fans of The Wire -- which I think was the best tv show ever), Peacemaker (if you liked the second Suicide Squad you'll love this), and others.

https://www.tvguide.com/news/best-tv-shows-on-hbo-max/

Agree with Tyson on Burn Notice (that's addicting) and also The Good Doctor on Hulu and another top 20 tv show: Justified

Somewhere on streaming are Joss Whedan's great tv shows before he went into movies and when I hadn't heard about his abrasive abusive manner: Firefly, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Dollhouse and Angel if you haven't seen any of those. He also did Agents of SHIELD which was a good serial.

owcraftsman

• Less is more when God is in it.
« Reply #9 on: 12 Aug 2022, 01:28 am »
Okay a good mix for couples viewing

Outlander
The Queen
Downtown Abby
Ozarks
Yellowstone
Virgin River
The Old Man
Joe Pickett

For the record I'm SiFi and History Channel and my wife is Reality TV (Housewives) and anything Entertainment/hollywood news
all mentioned above we thoroughly enjoyed together.

BobM

« Reply #10 on: 12 Aug 2022, 11:56 am »
We are currently watching

Locke & Key (Netflix)
The Sandman (Netflix)
Stranger Things (Netflix)
Ozark (Netflix) - but it's over now after many seasons
Maid (Netflix) - over now but a good story
Bridgerton (Netflix) - this one's for the wife

The Terminal List (Amazon)
The Old Man (Amazon and Hulu)
Vikings Valhalla (amazon) - only after you've seen the original Vikings shows
The Gilded Age (amazon) - this one's for the wife
Reacher (Amazon)

Killing Eve (Hulu)
The Great (Hulu)
Under The Banner Of Heaven (Hulu)

others to watch where you can find them ...
Animal Kingdon
Mayans (only after you watch Sons of Anarchy)
Westworld
The Handmaid's Tale
Better Call Saul (only after you watch Breaking Bad)
The Lincoln Lawyer
The Man Who Fell to Earth
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
Succession
Dark Winds

jonbee

« Reply #11 on: 20 Jan 2024, 04:36 am »
Wife and I started watching Loudermilk on Netflix. Both find it very funny!

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #12 on: 20 Jan 2024, 10:29 am »
Wife and I started watching Loudermilk on Netflix. Both find it very funny!

I also started Loudermilk, then paused on the first episode to finish Longmire, two L centric shows.  I'll go back to Loudermilk soon, I love the Office Space guy.

The thread is two years old so I imagine the couple first posting this may have broken up by now, such is the state of romance today.  However the greatest couples series of all time only received one offhanded recommendation.  The Marvelous Mrs Maizel is one of the best television series of all time.  Great plot, fabulous characters, crackerjack dialog, and my favorite component of any series, it has an ending.  So many serious just fade away with no resolution to anything.  Another fantastic couples series,  The Queen's Gambit, another snappy dialog series, and this one is a one season limited series so you can do it on a weekend if you skip sports on TV.

Vince in TX

« Reply #13 on: 22 Jan 2024, 04:07 am »
I also started Loudermilk, then paused on the first episode to finish Longmire, two L centric shows.  I'll go back to Loudermilk soon, I love the Office Space guy.

The thread is two years old so I imagine the couple first posting this may have broken up by now, such is the state of romance today.  However the greatest couples series of all time only received one offhanded recommendation.  The Marvelous Mrs Maizel is one of the best television series of all time.  Great plot, fabulous characters, crackerjack dialog, and my favorite component of any series, it has an ending.  So many serious just fade away with no resolution to anything.  Another fantastic couples series,  The Queen's Gambit, another snappy dialog series, and this one is a one season limited series so you can do it on a weekend if you skip sports on TV.

The Queen's Gambit was excellent.   I may try to check out Marvelous Mrs. Maizel, although lately most of my watching is either sci-fi/fantasy (Marvel, DC, LOTR/Rings of Power, GOT/HOTD, Star Trek from the 1960s beginnings to current day, Star Wars in all of its iterations, Foundation, etc...).

One gem I stumbled upon after years of knowing about it, but not getting around to it, was Band of Brothers.   Watched all of those, and now I am watching The Pacific.   I am really looking forward to the upcoming Masters of the Air.   My late Grandfather was a navigator on a B17 during WWII.  That's him in the top row, far left, circa 1943.   :thumb:

Rocket

« Reply #14 on: 22 Jan 2024, 10:16 am »
Hi,

That was wonderful information about your grandfather. Those guys were true heroes AFAIK. My dad served in Borneo in 1942 in the AIF.

Cheers Rod

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #15 on: 22 Jan 2024, 11:15 am »
The Queen's Gambit was excellent.   I may try to check out Marvelous Mrs. Maizel, although lately most of my watching is either sci-fi/fantasy (Marvel, DC, LOTR/Rings of Power, GOT/HOTD, Star Trek from the 1960s beginnings to current day, Star Wars in all of its iterations, Foundation, etc...).

One gem I stumbled upon after years of knowing about it, but not getting around to it, was Band of Brothers.   Watched all of those, and now I am watching The Pacific.   I am really looking forward to the upcoming Masters of the Air.   My late Grandfather was a navigator on a B17 during WWII.  That's him in the top row, far left, circa 1943.   :thumb:

The finest SciFi space show ever is The Expanse on Prime.  Finally a space opera that follows most of the rules of physics.  In the first episode a space ship needs to make a simple change in direction.  Alarms sound and every crew member goes running for a strapped in seat that injects stroke reduction meds because the G forces are going to be so intense.  No magical trans light speed travel, no magic gravity, no windows in spaceships.  Three hundred years in the future brings advances in propulsion cutting down travel times, as well as colonization of the moon, Mars, the asteroid belt, and some outposts on a couple jovian moons.  And a twist that is so fantastical that it actually makes perfect sense and is close to what many scientists predict about the subject.  Highly and strongly recommended for all SciFi fans.

Band of Brothers is a remarkable series, perhaps the finest WWII work ever produced.  I wasn't as impressed with The Pacific, a good series for sure, just not as good.  The new air warfare series looks promising as well.  My ex's dad was a tail gunner on a B24.  He was forever scared by the experience, takeoffs were the most terrifying part.  Shot down over Italy, captured by partisans who were going to execute him and the other survivers until they saw his Masonic ring.  Then they were like family, fed and sheltered, and walked right past the German troops every Sunday because you couldn't skip Mass.

WGH

« Reply #16 on: 22 Jan 2024, 08:50 pm »

The Battlestar Galactica series (2003 - 2009) is the gold standard for for space operas. The five seasons plus two movies created a complex universe with intrigue, double crosses, deception and competing Gods. The drama starts with a 2003 two episode mini-series (available on YouTube, GooglePlay and Vudu) then 2004's Season 1, Episode 1 "33" grabs your attention and doesn't let go, this is one of the most intense sci-fi episodes ever made.

Seasons 1-4 are available on Amazon Prime.

"33"
"Though there were compromises made due to concerns of the episode being too dark for audiences, the episode was lauded by both cast and crew in addition to winning the 2005 Hugo Award for Best Dramatic Presentation, Short Form."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/33_(Battlestar_Galactica)

The full length movie "Razor" is between Season 3 and Season 4
The second film "The Plan" is after Season 4

"Battlestar Galactica continued from the 2003 miniseries to chronicle the journey of the last surviving humans from the Twelve Colonies of Kobol, after their nuclear annihilation by the Cylons. The survivors are led by President Laura Roslin and Commander William Adama in a ragtag fleet of ships with the Battlestar Galactica, an old but powerful warship, as its command ship. Pursued by Cylons intent on wiping out the remnants of the human race, the survivors travel across the galaxy looking for the fabled and long-lost "thirteenth" colony: Earth."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlestar_Galactica_(2004_TV_series)

Sam Esmail (Mr. Robot) is in talks with Peacock about making a re-boot of the 2004 series.
https://screenrant.com/battlestar-galactica-reboot-story-update-modern-problem/

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #17 on: 26 Jan 2024, 07:47 pm »
Watched Killers of the Flower Moon on Apple TV yesterday.  I actually watched it over 2 nights, because it's 3.5 hours long and the subject matter is pretty heavy.  It reminds me a bit of that line from Hamlet about how "one may smile and smile and be a villain". 

WGH

« Reply #18 on: 26 Jan 2024, 08:26 pm »

The Woman in the Wall is the perfect atmospheric murder mystery to watch after finishing the latest season of Fargo (which was excellent). Ruth Wilson plays Lorna Brady, a woman on the edge of sanity and an unreliable narrator of her story, or maybe that's just what some people think.

The 6 part series is based on the true history of the Magdalene Laundries in Ireland where unwed mothers were housed and forced to work against their will. 30 years later Lorna and a handful of adult woman in town who are survivors of the laundries still wonder what happened to the newborn babies taken from them.

stlrman

« Reply #19 on: 8 Feb 2024, 03:26 pm »
Search Party , a series on HBO or MAX is a freaking blast !!
Highly recommended!!!👍👍👍