Cables for Super 3

Inscrutable

• http://home.earthlink.net/~inscrutabl/index.html
Cables for Super 3
« on: 28 Aug 2004, 09:37 am »
Well, I'm joining the club!  I have a pair of Super 3's about to be on the way.  I'll be feeding them from a Decware Zen Triode and/or a Fi-X 2A3.

I have some Kimber (Kwik 12) and Museatex cables.  Anyone here have suggestions for a better match?

Bwanagreg

Cables for Super 3
« Reply #1 on: 31 Aug 2004, 08:53 pm »
I can't comment on the cables you alrady have, but I and a few others here have had good results with Mapleshade cables. The thin guage wires weem to work very well with the Fostex's - I tried an experiment with magnet wire from Rat Shack and was pretty happy with the sound, although the Mapleshades are a noticeably better at the frequency extremes.

Khorn Dave

Home Brew Like Mapleshade
« Reply #2 on: 4 Oct 2004, 03:16 am »
I haven't heard the MapleShade cables, but there design philosophy mirrors mine. Thin (26ga) solid-core wire of the purest metal (copper or silver) you can find wrapped in as little as possible.

I have had success with Michael Percy's 6/9's long-crystal copper which he sell's for about 5 cents a foot - a real bargain! Find some polypropylene tape, the clear stuff they sell as packaging tape, and sandwich the  wires between two layers, making sure you keep the wires apart. And voila, audiophile cables on a budget. Further tweaks if your momentem keeps you goin' are cryo treating your creation and/or adding a third wire and connecting it to the positive lead of a 9v or greater battery to bias the dialectric like the big boys do. Lots of fun!

David

ohenry

Cables for Super 3
« Reply #3 on: 4 Oct 2004, 11:54 am »
A while back I ordered some 24 ga. kynar (silver-coated copper) wire from Squires Electronics and had it twisted at a rate of 4/inch.  I liked the result compared to using cat 5 and 6 with hornshoppe horns and it's relatively cheap.  And. . . you get to choose the colors. :wink:

In my system, these wires seemed to reveal more details and extend the high frequencies.  I haven't tried doubling the runs to see if that makes a difference.

I, too, think it would be interesting to try some of the nice copper products at Percy's for speaker wire (it's hard to refer to this thin stuff as "cable").  I've been impressed by what the 23 ga. 5/9's bare silver wire from his site has done in my homemade interconnects.

Louis O

Cables for Super 3
« Reply #4 on: 6 Oct 2004, 01:26 pm »
Hi Inscrutable,

Your speaker are on the way via Fed Ex and can't wait for you to recieve them.

All the cable suggestions are really good and it's important to get a cable that has musical qualities as speed, great mids and fast articulate bass. I have tried a lot of cables and some are really to high fi ( slow bass and recessed mids). The Mapleshade cables are really good and DIY can be a lot fun too.

Hi Greg,

Sorry about the delay in the new cabinets, but when I come back from the show, I will get them out to you.

Thanks again,
Louis