Spatial Audio - New X Class Product Announcement

Spatial Audio

Re: Spatial Audio - New X Class Product Announcement
« Reply #40 on: 26 Mar 2019, 12:41 am »
Hi Clayton, these new X series designs look real enticing. I've been waiting for an OB powered sub with an AMT driver, the X3 especially cause of its size, checks off all the boxes. Just want to know:
- Will the DSP powered section be user controllable to allow for optimum room placement?
- How does the X3/5 AMT compare to the X2 driver?

Looking forward to the reviews at the show, good luck to you, I wish I could get there in person.

Hi Davek,

Yes, powering the OB woofer is quicker and more powerful for sure. Hard to go back to passive bass. There are 3 file presets on the amp that I can use to give some flexibility in different sized rooms. Besides volume adjustment it's not really user adjustable unless you are proficient in such things and download the Hypex control software.

The AMT used in the X3 and X5 is the same as in the X2.

Clayton

SlushPuppy

« Reply #41 on: 26 Mar 2019, 01:28 am »
« Last Edit: 4 Aug 2019, 12:43 am by SlushPuppy »

KLH007

« Reply #42 on: 26 Mar 2019, 03:18 am »
Slush, I believe Clayton has realized this and there will be a revised/updated X-2 in the future.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #43 on: 26 Mar 2019, 03:28 am »
What would be cool is if the X-2 was modified to be able to use a servo OB bass section.  That would definitely take it a step up.

JackD

« Reply #44 on: 26 Mar 2019, 03:37 am »
I would imagine the baffle in the X-2 is considerably more expensive to build than the ones in the new models.  If it was changed to an M-T-M configuration like the PAP speakers you could put the powered OB bass section on the bottom and move the current bottom section to the top. 

yakbob

« Reply #45 on: 27 Mar 2019, 05:00 pm »
I'm curious to know what deficiencies you feel the $10k X2 has that (let's say) a $15k X2-Plus would correct. All reports I've read on the X2 is that it offers fantastic performance in that price category.

There's always the risk of buyer's remorse for early adopters. One the one hand you get be "the first" to experience the gadget, on the other hand, progress happens and depreciation is not going away (in any price category) anytime soon.

Two new models. Same AMT as the X2, more powerful bass than the X2, and less expensive than the X2..... So what's the point of purchasing an X2? Why does it even exist in your product line? Am I missing something? Will it be replaced by a new version? Is there an upgrade path for current X2 owners who feel some remorse about the (improved and less expensive) new X models? Feeling a bit confused right now....

Slush

Spatial Audio

« Reply #46 on: 30 Mar 2019, 09:58 am »
The X2 will remain in the line. Many users like the stylish chassis design, low profile and all passive configuration. The upcoming X3 and X5 are simpler designs in the vein of the M3 chassis, and therefore less expensive to build. I always try to design and build the best product possible in a given range, while keeping in mind that customer needs vary.

Clayton

Spatial Audio

« Reply #47 on: 30 Mar 2019, 10:22 am »
Shots of the new X5 model, being prepared for Axpona. It's a beautiful product - Clean and modern with explosive performance.

sumoking

« Reply #48 on: 30 Mar 2019, 03:42 pm »
Nice design!
What colors will it come in Clayton?
Thank you.

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #49 on: 30 Mar 2019, 03:51 pm »
Very nice, I like it a lot!  I think the flush mounted grills contribute greatly to the clean look.

sumoking

« Reply #50 on: 30 Mar 2019, 03:59 pm »
I would have thought the x-3 would go lower than the x-5 with
the larger woofer, but I noticed they are both measured at 25 hz.
Can you explain a bit on why that is?
Thank you.

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #51 on: 30 Mar 2019, 04:07 pm »
Clayton, earlier you said the amp mounts to the machined aluminum base plate with a 2 inch thick spacer.  Is that still the case and it just has not yet been installed in the picture above?

Spatial Audio

« Reply #52 on: 30 Mar 2019, 07:14 pm »
We will offer Black, White and Red paint surfaces, along with a number of standard wood veneer finishes. The wood veneer wrapped around the radius edges looks amazing. Veneers will increase the price slightly. We now have in-house veneering equipment along with CNC milling, thats how we can keep the price reasonable. 

Clifford Brown- Yes, the amp is not yet mounted to the machined base plate in the X5 Black photos. The X3 photo below show the amp mounted. You can also see the machined aluminum dipolar rear lens for the Heil unit.

Sumoking - The two models have the same bandwidth because of on-board DSP bass software, but the larger X3 model provides more displacement and its larger baffle provides greater impact - great for larger rooms.

stefd

« Reply #53 on: 30 Mar 2019, 07:28 pm »
Hi,

Would the recommended amp power be lower on the X5 than the M3 turbo s?
I am building system from scratch and my current thinking is either mono block with M3 or stereo AMP < 200W with X5?
Is this correct thinking?

boisty

« Reply #54 on: 30 Mar 2019, 07:32 pm »
These photos are hazardous to my bank account.  Very beautiful speakers.  The white version looks amazing.

boisty

Spatial Audio

« Reply #55 on: 30 Mar 2019, 07:46 pm »
Hi,

Would the recommended amp power be lower on the X5 than the M3 turbo s?
I am building system from scratch and my current thinking is either mono block with M3 or stereo AMP < 200W with X5?
Is this correct thinking?

Yes, the X5 passive section (and X3) works from 100Hz and up, at 8 Ohms, so a small amp will actually drive it loud. SET amps are welcome in this case. But, the max power is 200W RMS, so large amps are fine as well. Almost blow out proof. This allows you the freedom to use your favorite amp and not worry about compatibility issues.

Clayton

Spatial Audio

« Reply #56 on: 30 Mar 2019, 07:47 pm »
These photos are hazardous to my bank account.  Very beautiful speakers.  The white version looks amazing.

boisty

Thanks Boisty - They look even better in person.

sumoking

« Reply #57 on: 30 Mar 2019, 09:56 pm »
Thank you Clayton.
Not only do I like the white version, but more importantly my wife
loves the look!!  However, a veneer version sounds very interesting, so I would
consider that as well.

My room is 18’x21’ with one side open to a nook.
My M3 Turnos S does a really nice job and I have a powered sub
for the last octive. Which model do you recommend?
Thank you for all your answers to my questions.

Spatial Audio

« Reply #58 on: 30 Mar 2019, 10:52 pm »
Thank you Clayton.
Not only do I like the white version, but more importantly my wife
loves the look!!  However, a veneer version sounds very interesting, so I would
consider that as well.

My room is 18’x21’ with one side open to a nook.
My M3 Turnos S does a really nice job and I have a powered sub
for the last octive. Which model do you recommend?
Thank you for all your answers to my questions.

An 18'x21' room would qualify as a larger room, so my first choice would be the X3, assuming funds permit.

Clayton

sumoking

« Reply #59 on: 30 Mar 2019, 11:23 pm »
Would agree I could lose the sub?
That could free up some funds by selling it.
That’s the last question! Thank you.