No need for W4S Recovery with microRendu?

SFDude

No need for W4S Recovery with microRendu?
« on: 30 Mar 2017, 04:11 am »
I had a laptop with USB into DAC. Purchased a W4S Recovery (USB reclocker) that I had between the laptop and the DAC. Sounded decent enough. Jumped on a microRendu that I picked up on AC recently. Sounds super clean compared to the slight veil in the music from my old laptop->W4S Recovery->DAC setup.

I tried to keep the Recovery in the chain, between the microRendu and the DAC. But the lights never came on the Recovery. So now, microRendu is plugged directly into the DAC and I'm guessing I have a Recovery sitting around, possibly waiting for something else (ie. another network streamer to compare w/the microRendu) later on.

Is that correct?

Also curious why the lights never came on the Recovery when inserted in the chain with the microRendu and DAC.

Thanks and ... wow.... just heard more details that I had barely managed to notice before in the old setup. Impressed with this little device!

guf

Re: No need for W4S Recovery with microRendu?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Mar 2017, 04:21 am »
The MR has a Regen built in, and I think thats a similar device as the W4S recovery?  Not sure about the recovery not getting power.

SFDude

« Reply #2 on: 30 Mar 2017, 03:31 pm »
Thanks guf. Will fiddle more with it later when I have the time to debug this. I've seen other folks put a Regen AFTER the microRendu with success so the Recovery shouldn't be any different. Possibly the USB cable is the culprit?  :scratch:

enser

« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2017, 07:20 pm »
Ran into the same config issue as you. In my case, my DAC USB jack required 5v power so the need the RUR to have its own power supply was still required in addition to powering the mR. I couldn't decide if I liked it in the chain (was a W4S DAC2) after the mR. I'm now using a W4S DAC-2v2 SE and I find the RUR offers no real improvement vs mR alone. Using an UpTone LPS-1 on the mR - I'd say that would be place to spend $ for USB audio improvements...

SFDude

« Reply #4 on: 13 May 2017, 06:50 pm »
Ran into the same config issue as you. In my case, my DAC USB jack required 5v power so the need the RUR to have its own power supply was still required in addition to powering the mR. I couldn't decide if I liked it in the chain (was a W4S DAC2) after the mR. I'm now using a W4S DAC-2v2 SE and I find the RUR offers no real improvement vs mR alone. Using an UpTone LPS-1 on the mR - I'd say that would be place to spend $ for USB audio improvements...

Yup. Power supply would be next but definitely going to try to form a lasting impression of the mR with the iFi iPower first. These things tend to take time to understand whether the upgrade would be worth it so I want to make sure I actually know how it sounds like currently before looking at an LPS-1 for example.

Thanks!

-dave