Any CD player recommendations?

soundbitten1

Re: Any CD player recommendations?
« Reply #20 on: 4 Dec 2010, 12:18 am »
Currently using a Sony CE595 which I think is a very nice CD player, but have the audiophile itch to see if I can "upgrade".

I went from the Sony SCD-C200ES to an Emotiva ERC-1 and while the Sony was a nice player and probably comparable to yours the ERC-1 was a huge sonic upgrade. Why spend $1500 when you can first try out the Emotiva for $400 (if you don't like it you can send it back for a full refund within 30 days).

Ericus Rex

« Reply #21 on: 4 Dec 2010, 12:10 pm »
Quit readin' and start listenin'!     :thumb:

2gumby2

« Reply #22 on: 4 Dec 2010, 12:32 pm »
Quit readin' and start listenin'!     :thumb:
Just trying to get as much information as I can before I pull the trigger. I'm in no hurry and will probably wait until after the holidays to make my purchase. There is not a wide variety of CD players to choose from in my area. I live in Japan at a U.S. military base and the closest Hi-Fi shop is about 1 1/2 hours from where I live. I've been there and listened to the high end Denon and Marantz offerings. Couldn't really tell the difference, but they both sounded good. Plus I want to buy a U.S. voltage model because the Japanese voltage is different and I'll eventually move back to the U.S.

I came across the Onkyo C-S5VL and it has had some good reviews and seems to be another high value player.

I sent the Audiogon seller of the Bryston BCD-1 some questions a couple of days ago but haven't received a reply yet. The Bryston is certainly a well regarded player.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs

2gumby2

« Reply #24 on: 5 Dec 2010, 11:34 am »
Came across this Harman Kardon HD 990. Lots of positive reviews especially out of Europe where it was introduced before the U.S. Has true balanced XLR outputs. My Wyred4sound STP SE preamp has XLR inputs and I wonder if there may be any advantage to the balanced CD player outputs.

http://www.harmankardon.com/EN-US/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?PID=HD%20990
« Last Edit: 6 Dec 2010, 10:50 pm by 2gumby2 »

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #25 on: 5 Dec 2010, 03:32 pm »
Check out a home grown NuForce CDP-8 and this link:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue52/awards.htm

Ericus Rex

« Reply #26 on: 5 Dec 2010, 05:06 pm »
I would buy every single other recommendation above before I bought a Harmon Kardon.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #27 on: 5 Dec 2010, 05:11 pm »
I would buy every single other recommendation above before I bought a Harmon Kardon.
Well put!!

davidrs

• Which do you value more, happiness or truth?
« Reply #28 on: 5 Dec 2010, 06:41 pm »

I have absolutely no interest in computer audio. I have over 3,500 CDs and I derive pleasure out of taking the CD out of the case and rading the liner notes. Just old fashioned I guess.

Making a recommendation over your budget, but given your strong drive to derive pure pleasure from redbook CDs you may want to check out the Ayon CD2.  Morrow Audio has one on offer at an attractive price.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1296682914&/Ayon-CD2

More within your price range: Raysonic.

Also consider a SONY 5400ES or a Yamaha CD-S100 (the yamaha doesn't get much coverage). Both are right at your price point and play SACD also.

Modded versions of both are getting very good press (not much over budget if you were to find a used sample and then mod it).

Good luck with your search. Not sure if you are military or civilian, but in both cases, appreciate your service.

- David.

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #29 on: 5 Dec 2010, 07:13 pm »
Second on the Raysonic...

Bought a slightly used 128 for under a K a couple of yrs ago.
Still going strong.....and I still enjoy it.

2gumby2

« Reply #30 on: 6 Dec 2010, 11:02 am »
O.K. Fill me in on what is wrong with Harman Kardon. In reading about the HD 990 CD player I didn't notice any negative reviews. This CD player has some very nice features and seems well regarded in Europe. Only found one U.S. owner review and he loved it.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #31 on: 6 Dec 2010, 01:40 pm »
I owned several HK pieces in my youth, before I knew there was anything better than HK/Adcom/Nakamichi.  HK hasn't been hi-end since the early 70's.  All the recommended players above will offer you higher-end sound.

Keep in mind that you'll also never find a negative review of a Bose product.  Harmon is just as big and powerful and can control, to some extent, the press about its products.  And as I said above, reviews and reviewers often can't be trusted.

This is a hi-end site and you asked for our opinions.  I would trust all the opinions expressed in this thread before I trust a reviewer's.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #32 on: 6 Dec 2010, 02:53 pm »
O.K. Fill me in on what is wrong with Harman Kardon. In reading about the HD 990 CD player I didn't notice any negative reviews. This CD player has some very nice features and seems well regarded in Europe. Only found one U.S. owner review and he loved it.

There's likely nothing outright wrong with it.

Harman International is a huge company that sells around the world.  Tho their beginnings were definitely hi-end and Dr. Sidney Harman can be spoken in the same breathe as Saul Marantz, Henry Kloss (founded Acoustic Research, KLH and Advent) and David Hafler (Dynaco & Hafler)...as they grew larger their market became decidely larger and less dedicated to their roots.

So, audiophools (particularly in the US) seem to sneer at them...but among their many mid-fi offerings are some terrific brands and products and they have a serious R & D Department to create world-class products.  Among the brands in their stable are:

AKG, Crown, Studer, JBL, Revel, Lexicon, Infinity and more.

So, they have the mojo and engineering to create world-class products....but, generally, their 'flagship' H/K brand doesn't offer cutting edge.  They compete, admirably, with a host of products from Pioneer, Onkyo, JVC, Sony etc, typically.

The new 990 player may well be good - especially if it can be found at 20%+ discounts common on H/K - but there are likely many others in the sub-$600 range that are as good, or better, in the market.

For really well-developed mid-fi these days (that sounds far more expensive), I prefer the Cambridge brand.  They seem to be on quite a roll with a spate of well-thought-of products for little cash  :thumb:  http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products.php#cd-players

The Azur 650c goes for about what the H/K goes for and has a really good reviews going for it.

Regards, John

DTB300

« Reply #33 on: 6 Dec 2010, 04:57 pm »
Also consider a SONY 5400ES or a Yamaha CD-S100 (the yamaha doesn't get much coverage). Both are right at your price point and play SACD also.

Modded versions of both are getting very good press (not much over budget if you were to find a used sample and then mod it).

Great recommendation. 

The two best modders (IMO) is Dan Wright (Modwright - has a Circle here) and Allen Wright (VSE) - no relation to each other.  Both offer new output stages (no OpAmps) and new clocks with their mods - these are two BEST mods you can make to a player. 

These companies are not just part swappers.

There are many Professional and End User Reviews around to read about these two companies.  These modified players will outperform (IMO and others opinions when you read the reviews) stock players costing the same amount (player plus mods).  Most have stated their modified players sound as good as stock players costing 2-3 times as much.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #34 on: 6 Dec 2010, 05:51 pm »
I have a Oppo BD83SE and use it for 2 ch analog, and use the 2ch L/R from the multichannel as well from time to time.

I run this into an AVA preamp and Ultravalve Tube Amp.

The sound is superb.

There are TONS of positive reviews on this player.

I would look at the new upcoming BD95 audiophile player coming out soon.

I havent heard anything for more or less money that would make me change from this unit and I have listened and listened...lots of great stuff but for the price , its got great 2 ch audio as well as the HT stuff, SACD / DSS etc..

ALl the best
Alex

davidrs

• Which do you value more, happiness or truth?
« Reply #35 on: 7 Dec 2010, 02:40 am »
Great recommendation. 

The two best modders (IMO) is Dan Wright (Modwright - has a Circle here) and Allen Wright (VSE) - no relation to each other.  Both offer new output stages (no OpAmps) and new clocks with their mods - these are two BEST mods you can make to a player. 

These companies are not just part swappers.

There are many Professional and End User Reviews around to read about these two companies.  These modified players will outperform (IMO and others opinions when you read the reviews) stock players costing the same amount (player plus mods).  Most have stated their modified players sound as good as stock players costing 2-3 times as much.

Add Warren Gregoire and Associates (for Sony) to the two excellent recommendations on modifiers, made by DTB300

Good luck with your search.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #36 on: 7 Dec 2010, 02:45 am »
I'm sure the OPPO 83se is a nice unit, but from what I've been told you could just a cheap transport with a Beresford 7520 DAC and have the same sound quality for much less.  I'm using a 7520 DAC with a Cambridge Audio CDP and it smokes the DAC Cambridge player.

guest1632

« Reply #37 on: 7 Dec 2010, 11:48 am »
I'm in the market for a new CD player and came across the Pioneer PD-D9MK2 here:  http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/HomeEntertainment/AudioComponents/Hi-FiAudio/ci.PD-D9MK2-K.Kuro

It looks very nice although I'm not sure which Wolfson DACs it is using. It's in the same price range as the Cambridge Audio 840 CD player wich has gotten good reviews in the press. The Pioneer also has SACD and is a plus. I'm in the initial stages of my search and thought some AC members would have some good input.

Hi, I read some review somewhere comparing the Piano 1 from Virtual Audio, and the Emotiv CDPlayers. Both players $400 for the Emotiv and  $600 for the Piano The review seemed to state that the Piano player sounded better, less vailed in the highs, and overall more open. In both cases, I think you have a 30 day listening window. So that might be worth your time. To possibly open another can of worms, you might consider a DVD player, which will do nicely for CDPlayback, as well as letting you watch movies.

However, if you are in the mood for just a CDP, then these two and the Teak and possibly the Newforce all in one players might be the ticket. I think I'd steer clear of the moded stuff. Resale value could suffer as a result. For ex. the 840C onits own is good but with some mods can be brought to new levels. But again, there is the warranty issue.

Yes, I understand the separate DACs and transport perhaps does sound better. But, then you have more cables to throw in the mix. one such combo to look at is the DAC from AVA. You could use your present player, and just add the DAC. From what I read on the AVA circle, you wouldn't regret that decission. Again, a 30 day money back guarantee.

That Piano 1 has received a lot of reviews, plus you can taylor the case configuration to please the eye in lots of configs.

In the longrun, you've been given lots of annalysis paralysis choices. I wish you Happy listening in whatever choice you choose.

Certainly a lot of good choices here.

Ray Bronk

2gumby2

« Reply #38 on: 7 Dec 2010, 12:09 pm »
I am hesitant to go the modification route again. I have an EVS modified Oppo 980H with $600 in modifications on this $180 player and it is not significantly better than the stock 980.

There are some great recommendations here and I'm still doing my research.

Ray Bronk - I'm interested in reading the comparison of the Emotiva and the Piano M1. Do you have a link?

2gumby2

« Reply #39 on: 7 Dec 2010, 12:16 pm »
I owned several HK pieces in my youth, before I knew there was anything better than HK/Adcom/Nakamichi.  HK hasn't been hi-end since the early 70's.  All the recommended players above will offer you higher-end sound.

Keep in mind that you'll also never find a negative review of a Bose product.  Harmon is just as big and powerful and can control, to some extent, the press about its products.  And as I said above, reviews and reviewers often can't be trusted.

This is a hi-end site and you asked for our opinions.  I would trust all the opinions expressed in this thread before I trust a reviewer's.
Regarding Hi-Fi reviews from the audio publications, I've learned to take what they write with a big "grain of salt". I've been to four Rocky Mountain Audio Festivals and when I read the reviews from the professional press on the equipment there, I rarely agree with their opinions based on what I hear. In general, I find the lower end Hi-Fi offerings more appealing. This is why I value the opinions here. It's because I get real world user opinions from true enthusiasts.