Coffee

vilding

• Musician. Audiophile on a budget.
Re: Coffee
« Reply #120 on: 8 Jun 2020, 12:09 pm »
It's electric, but it doesn't grind superfine. Moka and aeropress is no problem but espresso maybe not.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #121 on: 8 Jun 2020, 12:29 pm »
I use metal strainer with milk it have to be very thin powder, it take me about 10 minutes to grinder a full cup grain, the thinner the longer it takes.

twitch54

« Reply #122 on: 8 Jun 2020, 02:40 pm »
Anybody still like perc'd coffee ?

had a pot a buddy's house a few months back that was superb. Back when I started drinking coffee over 50 years ago that's how coffee was served for the majority of us.

guf

« Reply #123 on: 8 Jun 2020, 03:02 pm »
great review of high end manual grinders
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn9OuRl1F3k

this guy does great videos.

vilding

« Reply #124 on: 8 Jun 2020, 03:16 pm »
You gotta love James Hoffman! He takes the term coffee nerd to a higher level.
Really great videos! I also felt somewhat good about myself when I saw that he liked my grinder...  :P

Fullrange: Then it probably won't grind fine enough. But I'm kinda curious about your tecnique..?

guf

« Reply #125 on: 8 Jun 2020, 04:29 pm »
You gotta love James Hoffman! He takes the term coffee nerd to a higher level.
Really great videos! I also felt somewhat good about myself when I saw that he liked my grinder...  :P

embarrassing to admit I just learned about him.  :duh: I have a lot of catching up to do on his channel

mick wolfe

« Reply #126 on: 8 Jun 2020, 05:08 pm »
Anybody still like perc'd coffee ?

had a pot a buddy's house a few months back that was superb. Back when I started drinking coffee over 50 years ago that's how coffee was served for the majority of us.
It's all subjective regardless, no worry. I often wondered if a perc isn't very similar in principal  to a stovetop moka pot like a Bialetti :scratch:  As I remember though, a perc will use a much coarser grind.

twitch54

« Reply #127 on: 8 Jun 2020, 08:40 pm »
Best 'drip makers' ?  I'm getting recommendation on this brand as being one of if not the best..........

https://technivorm.com/products/thermal/

By no means inexpensive but those that have one swear buy it

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #128 on: 8 Jun 2020, 08:43 pm »
Wow! Some serious roasting gear here... I see a lot of you guys have espresso machines well. What do you use? How do you use it?
I'm mainly a pour over guy, sometimes use my moka pot with pretty good results. I do like a good espresso when out and about, but I kinda have to trust the person making it haha. A bad espresso is a sad experience, like when I've tried making it myself.... :roll:

And grinders: I have a Vilfa svart that doesn't really grind espresso, but is really good, for the price, in the other ranges.

Also, at this point, I'd like like to say that just like with hifi, I'm  budget conscious (read poor) coffee lover.

My first espresso machine was a Rancilio Silvia 3. It now graces our winter home. Approximately two years ago, I purchased a Profitec Pro 500. My grinder is a Bravatza Vario.

Our son just gifted me an Aeropress, which I have used three times so far. I can see taking it with us on our travels (once it becomes safe again). It produces coffee that is like a cross between stovetop espresso and French press IMO - pretty good if you ask me.

Michael

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #129 on: 9 Jun 2020, 12:55 am »
Best 'drip makers' ?  I'm getting recommendation on this brand as being one of if not the best..........

That's what my parents have, they're very happy with it. I think it makes good coffee.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #130 on: 9 Jun 2020, 01:17 am »
Fullrange: Then it probably won't grind fine enough. But I'm kinda curious about your tecnique..?
I dont like coffee with water, the coffee become diluted. I take it only with milk without sugar and without sweetener, which are carcinogenic, for this it is necessary to grind the coffee very fine and strain it with a sieve strainer (not paper).

The only secret is the temperature of the milk, too cold does not release the oils from the coffee, too hot burns the coffee.

guf

« Reply #131 on: 9 Jun 2020, 02:00 am »

The only secret is the temperature of the milk, too cold does not release the oils from the coffee, too hot burns the coffee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_r5kpXPRYo

this guy says different...Coffee is roasted at 200 celisus degrees plus? and you think boiling water is going to "burn' the coffee more?  :duh:

skip to the 1:20 mark.

guf

« Reply #132 on: 9 Jun 2020, 02:04 am »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #133 on: 9 Jun 2020, 02:13 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_r5kpXPRYo

this guy says different...Coffee is roasted at 200 celisus degrees plus? and you think boiling water is going to "burn' the coffee more?  :duh:

skip to the 1:20 mark.
I have to drink the coffee that I make I cant discard it, so if the milk is too hot the coffee definitely will taste like burnt.

My English is not very good lately, is he referring to all types of coffee trees in the world?  And to all roasting temperatures, here are 4 temps of roasting:
Low   temp / Mild flavor
Medium roast / Traditional flavor
High roast 1 / Strong flavor
High roast 2 / Extra strong flavor
« Last Edit: 9 Jun 2020, 12:53 pm by FullRangeMan »

murphy11

« Reply #134 on: 9 Jun 2020, 12:49 pm »

I picked up a TV on Craigslist for $100 and have seen them within 45 minutes of Philly for that price. They are built with a high level of quality so I would not hesitate to buy used. The aero press made a nice cup but I drink more than one and so does my wife. The TV model I have makes about 4 cups total of which is perfect for me. The TV is my home daily driver and I’ll use the aero press at work when our office opens again.

vilding

« Reply #135 on: 9 Jun 2020, 04:11 pm »
Fullrange: First time I hear of this way of drinking coffee. As a person that enjoys one latte a year but generally thinks milk is the enemy of coffee, it's pretty far out...  :lol: Might have to give it a try some time...

Aeropress, oh sweet little friend! It's nice because it's so versatile and portable, and it makes a really smooth cup of coffee.
This is a nice video of the inverted method (for which there are thousands of recipes..): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ACh1o5EgaA

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #136 on: 9 Jun 2020, 04:38 pm »
Hey now, that Aeropress thing is made out of plastic.  Nobody thinks putting hot water in there and letting it sit for a minute or two is a good thing, right?  Whether it has BPA or not, that doesn't seem a purist method.  We wouldn't drink our coffee out of a plastic travel mug, would we?   :wink:

mick wolfe

« Reply #137 on: 9 Jun 2020, 09:33 pm »
Hey now, that Aeropress thing is made out of plastic.  Nobody thinks putting hot water in there and letting it sit for a minute or two is a good thing, right?  Whether it has BPA or not, that doesn't seem a purist method.  We wouldn't drink our coffee out of a plastic travel mug, would we?   :wink:

If the Aeropress was harmful, I'd be dead by now.  8)

leemaze

« Reply #138 on: 10 Jun 2020, 01:50 am »
From a coffee professional (I’ve worked in specialty coffee industry for over 12 years) id recommend 2 drip brewers - Bonavita 1900 series and the Breville Precision Brewer (upgrade pick). Whichever way you go I’d recommend buying an SCA certified brewer (meaning it reaches 200F during the brewing process), and buying the thermal carafe version (glass pots with hot plates burn your coffee instantly). Happy to answer further questions. Happy Brewing!

twitch54

« Reply #139 on: 11 Jun 2020, 06:34 pm »
Water ??

with all the great coffee's and recipes for brewing what are everyones preferences for water ? tap, bottled, natural spring........