Let's talk about Subs

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
Let's talk about Subs
« on: 20 Apr 2024, 04:43 pm »
What is your favorite sandwich?

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
Re: Let's talk about Subs
« Reply #1 on: 20 Apr 2024, 04:46 pm »
I start with the traditional grilled ham and cheese: white bread, cheese singles, deli ham, properly grilled on a flat grill.
« Last Edit: 20 Apr 2024, 05:54 pm by mix4fix »

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #2 on: 20 Apr 2024, 05:17 pm »
Oh it's hard to pick a true favorite. I'm always a sucker for a good Cubano. Watching the movie Chef will make me hungry every time.  I do also love Reubens or Bahn Mi sandwiches as well though.

jschwenker

« Reply #3 on: 20 Apr 2024, 05:39 pm »
Local brewery (Avery) makes a mighty fine BLAT burger - Bacon, Lettuce, Avocado, Tomato.

Also available at Cousins Maine Lobster food trucks: Lobsta grilled cheese and tots!

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #4 on: 20 Apr 2024, 06:15 pm »
  Grilled Chicken marinated in Balsamic vinegar. On Semolina bread. Topped with fresh Mozz, roasted peppers and Pesto.
charles

WGH

« Reply #5 on: 20 Apr 2024, 06:50 pm »
Meatball sub at the 4th Ave Deli on 4th Ave across the street from the Food Conspiracy Co-Op in Tucson, AZ. The narrow hole in the wall entrance is easy to miss but the meatball subs are killer. Each time I get one I say to myself "I can't believe I ate the whole thing".

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 25 Apr 2024, 09:43 am »
I would probably say a Banh Mi:drool:

dpatters

« Reply #7 on: 25 Apr 2024, 10:23 am »
A real Philly cheesesteak.

Don P

BritneySpears

« Reply #8 on: 25 Apr 2024, 10:35 am »
Haven't had the privilege of trying a philly cheese and steak. But in the Netherlands this is my go to. Surinam chicken curry.

nature boy

« Reply #9 on: 25 Apr 2024, 10:39 am »
It's tough to beat a traditional Italian sub in the greater Philadelphia - South Jersey - Northern Delaware area. Local deli and sandwich shops tend to have the real deal. I avoid the chains at all cost.

NB

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #10 on: 25 Apr 2024, 12:09 pm »
My favorite is people who don't post oversize pics that make the text impossible to read on my phone.

But back to the real topic, Jersey Mike's just opened a shop a couple blocks from me and the Big Kahuna Chicken Cheese Steak is just awesome.  It takes forever to make so you have to order in advance on the app, but worth it.  Second fav is the cold option Turkey and Provolone made Mike's way.  The only negative is that at busy times it's hard to find a place to stand in our small town.

BritneySpears

« Reply #11 on: 25 Apr 2024, 02:12 pm »
My favorite is people who don't post oversize pics that make the text impossible to read on my phone.

You could also become tech-savvy and use a decent browser and or phone.

What an unmitigated dumb piece of shit you are. I'm leaving this forum. I guess that was what you wanted.

JCarney

« Reply #12 on: 25 Apr 2024, 02:15 pm »
A proper corned beef and pastrami on dark rye. When I say proper, I mean the kind of sandwich that has so much corned beef and pastrami that it is a good six inches tall, no cheese. A container of really good mustard, absolutely no yellow mustard allowed here, and a bowl of pickles on the table. Also there has to be a side of slaw included. Each bite gets a little mustard, and a bite of pickle every so often to clean the palate. Binion's club sandwich in Vegas is awesome, a must try if you like club sandwiches. The corned beef and pastrami sandwich needs to look something like this.

JCarney

JCarney

« Reply #13 on: 25 Apr 2024, 02:20 pm »
So Britney, your retort to Letitroll was completely uncalled for. He is one of the nicest and most helpful people on here, and I agree with him on people posting crazy large pics. Doing that sort of thing would indicate that the poster is the one lacking tech savvy as you put it. I've posted pics for years, and take  moment to ensure that does not happen by adjusting the pic size. So yeah, please leave.

JCarney

oskar

« Reply #14 on: 25 Apr 2024, 02:43 pm »
How unfortunate for this misunderstanding to happen. And on the subject of sandwiches!
This is a friendly place and I don't believe that a long time member was intentionally trying to piss off a new member. Lay down your arms please.

qdrone

« Reply #15 on: 25 Apr 2024, 03:34 pm »
I'm partial to the Cubana,no pickles extra cheese at Jimmy Johns.

kmmd

• 5 mos.= My VAC is back - now silver w/phono
    • Systems
« Reply #16 on: 28 Apr 2024, 11:03 pm »
Banh Mi, yes

When in So Cal, we drop by the 626 and pick up a few from Banh Mi My Tho before coming back to the Bay Area.  It started as a mom and pop shop on Valley Blvd in Alhambra.  That location remains popular and is cash only.  Over the years they opened their second and third family owned locations on Garvey Avenue.  These two accept credit cards and don’t charge for the pickled veggies on the side.

Original location: https://www.yelp.com/biz/banh-mi-my-tho-alhambra?sort_by=date_desc

Photos below borrowed from Yelp for one of the locations on Garvey Ave. I apologize if the photos are too large.  There is usually an option to select a size but did not for this upload

Menu:

#1:

mcgsxr

« Reply #17 on: Yesterday at 07:27 pm »
There is a local place (The Corned Beef Hut) that makes amazing giant sandwiches - but only their ban mi is on a sub/grinder bun.  It is excellent.

I do like a traditional italian cold cut sub the most - lettuce, tomato, sub sauce, mayo, mustard, salt and pepper - cold cuts could include salami, bologna, ham, roast beef etc.

My family and I have started a "sandwich night" in response to how much a few of us have been enjoying Barry's "Sandwiches of history" channel.  Each week we have a night where its sandwiches for dinner - some past evenings have showcased egg western, cold cuts, meatball subs etc.  Great fun.

Charles Xavier

« Reply #18 on: Yesterday at 07:52 pm »
Porchetta, Mozz and Broccoli Rabe