$3-5k/pr, Floorstander or Monitors?

saisunil

Re: $3-5k/pr, Floorstander or Monitors?
« Reply #40 on: 23 Apr 2012, 09:31 pm »
Only listening to them side by side would would help - even them it will boil down to preferences ...

In any case it would be fair to say they both offer "direct sales" great value ...

Cheers

cujobob

« Reply #41 on: 23 Apr 2012, 11:22 pm »
Yes, I know the crossovers are harder to implement correctly in a 3-way, but from what I've read, Rick at Selah knows what he's doing. I've seen comments from him regarding his 2-way vs 3-way and he states that if implemented correctly, it allows the drivers to operate in their designed range and can make for a smoother sound. I'm sure both are excellent speakers, without a direct comparison (wasn't someone here or another forum getting both?), I don't think it's fair to say one is better than the other.
The cabinet in the Vapor obviously involves much more time and expense, but does it really make that much difference?

Yes, edge diffraction alone makes a significant difference. If both speakers are compared, I hope they integrate subs so the bottom end is equal.

If three ways were simply better, we'd be using many more drivers than that. In an ideal system, the main speakers would be cut off above 50 hz to properly integrate the bass. The need for the third driver goes away in such a system, for the most part.

If we had full polars of both speakers, we could probably better compare.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #42 on: 23 Apr 2012, 11:27 pm »
...If three ways were simply better, we'd be using many more drivers than that. In an ideal system, the main speakers would be cut off above 50 hz to properly integrate the bass. The need for the third driver goes away in such a system, for the most part.

that's because such a system, w/active subwoofers, IS a 3-way system.   :wink:

doug s.

cujobob

« Reply #43 on: 23 Apr 2012, 11:36 pm »
that's because such a system, w/active subwoofers, IS a 3-way system.   :wink:

doug s.

Crossing over to multiple subs doesn't necessarily have drawbacks to it, but blending drivers together in a more sensitive frequency range does.

Will2

« Reply #44 on: 23 Apr 2012, 11:45 pm »
I know these were mentioned on the first page of the thread but I'll resuscitate the idea.  I've been very happy with my AudioKinesis speakers and I believe Duke has delivered for a long time.  This model looks like it might meet your needs:

http://www.audiokinesis.com/product_ak_prisma.html

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #45 on: 23 Apr 2012, 11:49 pm »
Crossing over to multiple subs doesn't necessarily have drawbacks to it, but blending drivers together in a more sensitive frequency range does.

don't get me wrong - i think crossing to multiple subs is the best way to get high quality sound, regardless of what your mains are.  i was yust stating the obvious, that a 2-way monitor crossed to subs is a 3-way system.   :wink:

doug s.

saeyedoc

« Reply #46 on: 24 Apr 2012, 01:38 am »
Was looking again at the details of the Cirrus and I am impressed with the build quality. My wife noticed some of the pictures and thought they looked great in some of the exotic veneers.
Now thinking of leaning towards those with the custom stands with the crossover in the base. I think I'll wait a month or two and see how Ryan is coming along and whether he can get a better handle on reasonable completion dates.
There is someone on the Audiogon forums who has ordered both the Tempestra and Cirrus and I'll be interested in their review.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #47 on: 24 Apr 2012, 07:30 am »
2 ways always have ugly @ss stands.  Might as well get a 3 way that's actually veneered and finished from top to bottom.  I friggin hate the crappy looking black metal stands most 2 ways have to sit on.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #48 on: 24 Apr 2012, 10:21 am »
2 ways always have ugly @ss stands.  Might as well get a 3 way that's actually veneered and finished from top to bottom.  I friggin hate the crappy looking black metal stands most 2 ways have to sit on.

So don't hold back.   :)  From a proportional viewpoint a stand with the same footprint looks best to me, but then why not take advantage of the volume?  I've seen wowsy looking stands, but the assembly is still top heavy and they cost $$.  Overall it just looks sort of goofy to me to try to suspend a box in the air, especially when you invest all that money/technology.

saeyedoc

« Reply #49 on: 24 Apr 2012, 02:09 pm »
Have you seen the custom stands Vapor can make? They put the crossover in the base. The speaker is anchored using metal rods that come from the cabinet through the top plate secured with a lug bolt underneath. They can match the veneer in the speaker.
I agree that the stand mounts take up just as much real estate as a floorstander, but IMO they still don't look as big. At the same price point you have to put more money into the cabinet to get a floorstander.
Bigger isn't always better, if you're offloading the lower bass to a sub, a smaller monitor has been said to image better.

jackman

« Reply #50 on: 24 Apr 2012, 02:20 pm »
Those Vapor stands are as nice looking as it gets.  The speakers are really nice looking as well.  I would encourage the OP to listen to as many speakers as possible before making a decision.  VMPS is often overlooked because they are not the flavor of the month, but the RM30's are very good sounding and I still think they look cool. 

If you are going to shell out this kind of cash, try to find people near you who are willing to let you hear their speakers.  I'm a fan of monitors and active subs but they can take a bit of work to dial in.  My subs use a basic Behringer DCX2496 and, after a session with Phil Bamberg and an Omni-mic (from partsexpress), he dialed in the bass flat to 20hz.  The bass output is amazing and blends perfectly with the monitors.  After owning this type of system, I could not go back to passive 3 way speakers.  It took about fifteen minutes to dial in the woofers using the Omni-Mic. 

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #51 on: 24 Apr 2012, 02:23 pm »
I thought my 2 way speakers have nice looking stands.   :dunno:

saeyedoc

« Reply #52 on: 24 Apr 2012, 03:07 pm »
I thought my 2 way speakers have nice looking stands.   :dunno:

Nice...
I see you're a Porsche fan, what are you driving?
I got a '12 Cayman S last July, love it.

oracle309

« Reply #53 on: 24 Apr 2012, 03:40 pm »
The most obvious choice is a second Vandy 2W sub and monitors. But stands are always an issue (even with large monitor types like the big Harbeths). It almost begs the question, if you like the old Vandersteens, why not upgrade to the improved Model 3A? You may also consider (if looking for a non-typical  "monitor" style recommend) Fritz Loudspeakers. Many models have been well reviewed and most are under USD$2k . Then add another sub ;)

I personally like floor-standers because the need for good (and usually expensive) stands can move you up into a more full-range speaker that does credible bass on their own and only need a little augmentation. Consider jackman's comments on an outboard crossover, just spend some money upgrading the DCX2496 (if this system is also used for listening. If you have a primary 2 channel setup, please disregard.
Those Vapor stands are as nice looking as it gets.  The speakers are really nice looking as well.  I would encourage the OP to listen to as many speakers as possible before making a decision.  VMPS is often overlooked because they are not the flavor of the month, but the RM30's are very good sounding and I still think they look cool. 

If you are going to shell out this kind of cash, try to find people near you who are willing to let you hear their speakers.  I'm a fan of monitors and active subs but they can take a bit of work to dial in.  My subs use a basic Behringer DCX2496 and, after a session with Phil Bamberg and an Omni-mic (from partsexpress), he dialed in the bass flat to 20hz.  The bass output is amazing and blends perfectly with the monitors.  After owning this type of system, I could not go back to passive 3 way speakers.  It took about fifteen minutes to dial in the woofers using the Omni-Mic. 

I'd love to have your issue. Perhaps donate the Vandersteen 2's to a needy audiophile (local). I'm sure the recipient would love them.:)

saeyedoc

« Reply #54 on: 24 Apr 2012, 04:23 pm »
The most obvious choice is a second Vandy 2W sub and monitors. But stands are always an issue (even with large monitor types like the big Harbeths). It almost begs the question, if you like the old Vandersteens, why not upgrade to the improved Model 3A? You may also consider (if looking for a non-typical  "monitor" style recommend) Fritz Loudspeakers. Many models have been well reviewed and most are under USD$2k . Then add another sub ;)

I personally like floor-standers because the need for good (and usually expensive) stands can move you up into a more full-range speaker that does credible bass on their own and only need a little augmentation. Consider jackman's comments on an outboard crossover, just spend some money upgrading the DCX2496 (if this system is also used for listening. If you have a primary 2 channel setup, please disregard.
I'd love to have your issue. Perhaps donate the Vandersteen 2's to a needy audiophile (local). I'm sure the recipient would love them.:)
I guess I'm just looking for something different than the Vandys. I like them, but I think 25 years is enough.
I'll probably hold on to them until my kids (17,21) are ready to move into a real apartment or house (not while in college).

oracle309

« Reply #55 on: 24 Apr 2012, 05:20 pm »
I guess I'm just looking for something different than the Vandys. I like them, but I think 25 years is enough.
I'll probably hold on to them until my kids (17,21) are ready to move into a real apartment or house (not while in college).

Lucky kid(s).

I am a little confused with your set-up. You're using the system as 2 channel? or are you using it as a 7 channel and the Parasound as a sub amp? Or? You've got lots of room so full-sized floor standers are not a problem. With the reasonably efficient (say 88dB+ @1W@1m) you should have no trouble driving it all with the Anthem I'm thinking.

Regarding speakers, I am assuming a front pair only? If so the world is your oyster. I do like Proac speakers, but haven't heard any with an Antem or a Parasound. That would be hit or miss. The idea of a "guaranteed purchase" from VPMS or Fritz or similar would make a lot of sense. I'd also check to see what the various manufacturers suggest based on your amplification. No one wants their speakers to fall on their face, so if your amplification is suitable, I'd go with some of the floorstanders already mentioned. I'd also check into some Magneplanar 1.7 s or the 3.7s ( about 10% above your budget but if given the chance to hear them I'm pretty sure you'd consider hard....). There is something special about big Maggies. I think the Parasound amp would easily drive the big Maggies, but you can always ask your dealer ... with the Maggies I would retain the sub at a minimum. If after listening to the 1.7s, you like them , except for the bass (or more correctly bass headroom), I'd get another Vandersteen sub. You may even be able to re-use your Sound Anchor stands (IIRC) :).

saeyedoc

« Reply #56 on: 24 Apr 2012, 05:47 pm »
It's a 5.1 setup. I'm looking to replace the L/C/R with identical speakers. I'm not using the amps in the Anthem at all. The sub is a V2W which has it's own amp. I had no place to run the wires for decent placement of surrounds, no walls to put them on. There were some in-ceiling parasounds when I bought my house, in a bad location (too far in back, too spread apart). I replaced them with Paradigm SA-15 R30s recently, was able to use the existing cables in the ceiling and put them in a much better spot.
I'm looking at roughly $1.5-2k per speaker for the LCR. I'd like to avoid getting another sub for placement issues.

TomS

« Reply #57 on: 24 Apr 2012, 05:50 pm »
Another option to throw in there (used price) is the floorstanding Merlin VSM-MXe  or even the TSM monitors. I've had both, WAF is very high as speakers go, and the sound is incredibly smooth with the Esotar tweeter. I used 2 ACI subs with the TSM's in my theater and I'm sure the Vandy sub(s) would work well too.

sharpsuxx

• "I guess live music is a healthy addiction." CT
« Reply #58 on: 28 Apr 2012, 02:55 am »
I think there is a guy on the Audiogon forums that just took delivery of some new Cirrus.  It certainly upheld my confidence in what Ryan does.  I think I will probably be placing my order soon for the Cirrus.  Just a few more pay checks and nice dinners for the wifey.

And those big black speakers above?  Are those TAD clones or something of the like?

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #59 on: 28 Apr 2012, 04:39 am »
I think there is a guy on the Audiogon forums that just took delivery of some new Cirrus.  It certainly upheld my confidence in what Ryan does.  I think I will probably be placing my order soon for the Cirrus.  Just a few more pay checks and nice dinners for the wifey.

And those big black speakers above?  Are those TAD clones or something of the like?

those "big black speakers" are gedlee abbey's.

doug s.