Console Mods

DTH

Console Mods
« on: 4 Feb 2003, 10:57 pm »
I have been aware of the various X Box and PS mod chips that have been on the gray market for some time now. My impression they are most useful to folks who need to enable region free DVD decoding.

Someone forwarded me this link today:

http://halo.bungie.org/misc/hackinhalomirrors.html

I guess someone used a modded X Box to get into Halo into a developer mode.

Does anyone have any insight on how this works? Has anyone ever used a modded box?

Woodsea

Console Mods
« Reply #1 on: 4 Feb 2003, 11:28 pm »
With a modded box, you will be unable to play online thru M.S.  A very serious deterent in my book.

DTH

Console Mods
« Reply #2 on: 5 Feb 2003, 03:08 pm »
Yes, MS states that you cannot use the Live service with a modded box, although I imagine it is just a matter of time before someone figures out a way to defeat this.

I imagine you can use a modded box with the Game Spy and Xbox Connect online srtvices. Which I suppose opens the doors for using cheats online.

Woodsea

Console Mods
« Reply #3 on: 5 Feb 2003, 05:14 pm »
Yep, that's pretty much how I see it.  Online gaming is the best way.  Cheating in dungeon seige really turned me off to a fine game.  So
even though I was really looking into getting my box modded, no more is it my plans.

bubba966

Re: Console Mods
« Reply #4 on: 10 Feb 2003, 04:41 am »
Quote from: DTH
I guess someone used a modded X Box to get into Halo into a developer mode.

I think you actually need a developer's Xbox to do that. I've briefly spoke to one of the Bungie guys about it in the past, and as I recall that was what he said you needed to do that.

But we were taling about all kinds of things at the time. And I don't recall exactly what could & couldn't be done with a standard 'box.

Next time I see him I'll try & remember to bring it up again.