• Where's The Bar?
World Cup 2018
« on: 15 Jun 2018, 07:59 pm »
My pick for the Cup, again, is Argentina.  :thumb:

There's some big games coming...    :D

Emil

Re: World Cup 2018
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jun 2018, 05:53 pm »
Italy not qualifying is pretty pathetic. The team must be sequestered on some island off of Naples.
What is happening to their program? :Played horribly in the last World Cup and now this?

Team USA? Unfortunately, they're not given the attention they deserved. Must be discouraging when most of the country doesn't even know you exist let alone not qualify.

Well, my two teams are out...er......never in

charmerci

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jun 2018, 06:25 pm »
Italy not qualifying is pretty pathetic. The team must be sequestered on some island off of Naples.

I think right now, they are being beaten up in Sicily.

Bemopti123

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jun 2018, 08:45 pm »
What is happening to their program? :Played horribly in the last World Cup and now this?

Team USA? Unfortunately, they're not given the attention they deserved. Must be discouraging when most of the country doesn't even know you exist let alone not qualify.

Well, my two teams are out...er......never in

Big big news on all fronts, on all former #1 and #2.  Mexico beats Germany, Argentina ties with unknown Iceland.  This is what the World Cup is all about, passion and a big dose of Fortuna at work.  Brazil ties with the Swiss???  I mean the champs are either slacking or futbolistic level across the world has caught up with the world powers.

mcgsxr

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jun 2018, 09:20 pm »
I find the WC pure entertainment - I am not even a casual fan of "the beautiful game".

Canada has not often fielded a team.  Nor Ireland.

So I just tune in for the elimination rounds, and watch to see who the team that surprises folks and goes deeper than anticipated will be this time around.  Cameroon back in the late 80's etc.

Don't get me wrong, I understand why people are passionate about it, but I cannot get past the diving and acting.  It is foreign to me for the most part (though it is increasingly common in hockey and other sports).

The great goals amaze me, even though I cannot truly understand how hard it is to pull off!

Emil

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jun 2018, 09:33 pm »
Don't get me wrong, I understand why people are passionate about it, but I cannot get past the diving and acting.  It is foreign to me for the most part (though it is increasingly common in hockey and other sports).

Its just an attempt to make a minor infraction into a major penalty ( yellow or red card)

mcgsxr

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jun 2018, 02:20 pm »
Yes - I understand their intent - I fail to understand why it seems (to the admitted outsider) to be so central to the game.

I refer to it as the "opera" within the sport.  We all laugh about the magic water bottle/spray.

twitch54

« Reply #7 on: 19 Jun 2018, 04:52 pm »

Like a lot of Americans I couldn't care less about the sport, but I do think are women are pretty good aren't they ?

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #8 on: 19 Jun 2018, 09:26 pm »
Yes - I understand their intent - I fail to understand why it seems (to the admitted outsider) to be so central to the game.

I refer to it as the "opera" within the sport.  We all laugh about the magic water bottle/spray.

Once you are subbed out, you are done for the day.
So after your "rest" time is up  (player  :argue: ref), better get after it.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #9 on: 20 Jun 2018, 01:14 am »
Wow, Japan beats Columbia.  :o

Bemopti123

« Reply #10 on: 20 Jun 2018, 01:31 am »
Wow, Japan beats Columbia.  :o

Japan has come a long way.  Colombia also.  It has sort of become a fixture among many South American powerhouses.  Brasil, Argentina and Uruguay are the perennial contenders, and once in a while Ecuador, Costa Rica but even Perú and also Panamá made the fray this year.

While many people in North America are not into it.... as someone who was raised on a steady diet of South American fútbol, every world cup is magical.  Everyone in NYC is always parading in their national team jerseys.   :thumb:

Mudslide

« Reply #11 on: 20 Jun 2018, 04:14 am »
I grew up involved with American football.  Soccer?  Uh uh.  I thought a 0-0 tie was 90 minutes of the most boring sports anyone could watch.

Then for some reason I started watching the Portland Timbers team...probably out of boredom for sports this time of year.  (I think baseball ranked a close second on the Boring Sports List.) 

Now?  Now I think a 0-0 tie in soccer can be one of the most exciting 90 minutes of sports one can watch!  Go figure.  I got hooked.  What a great game...artistic, athletic, strategic, and exciting!

Go Senegal.   :lol:

aragon63

• Dorian, Lydian, Phrygian,Jazz Minor
« Reply #12 on: 21 Jun 2018, 06:58 pm »
I have a feeling that Mexico will win WC . So far they played best soccer .

dpatters

« Reply #13 on: 21 Jun 2018, 07:44 pm »
Belgium hands down.  Argentina won't make it out of group play.

stlrman

« Reply #14 on: 21 Jun 2018, 07:56 pm »
Your right !!!
Croatia distroys them !!!
3-0
From the few minutes I saw , Argentina looked  totally outplayed.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #15 on: 21 Jun 2018, 08:16 pm »
I have a feeling that Mexico will win WC .

I hope you're right!  :thumb:

rbbert

« Reply #16 on: 21 Jun 2018, 10:27 pm »
I have a feeling that Mexico will win WC . So far they played best soccer .
I think their next game is key.  If they both play and well and win, I agree that would place them among the most likely contenders.  Unfortunately Mexico, like England, have a long history of disappointment over expectations.

Emil

« Reply #17 on: 24 Jun 2018, 03:55 pm »

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #18 on: 27 Jun 2018, 12:32 am »
Nice win for Argentina to move forward.  :thumb:

Delacroix

« Reply #19 on: 27 Jun 2018, 02:06 am »
One thing I've learned from decades of World Cups is that the opening qualifying group games rarely provide a reliable indicator of the way teams play in the knock-out rounds. While it's been great to see Mexico and England do well, I suspect that the Germans and Brazilians will start to impress more. Argentina escaped a near-death experience too (and Maradona had one of his own too it seems after giving everyone the finger when that winning goal went in!) and meet France next. Neither of those last two impressed so far but one of them will be in the quarter finals, two games from the final. My heart will cheer Mexico and England but my head tells me the final winner will likely be one of the usuals..Best outside bet? Belgium....