New Record Day - Recent Videos on room treatment.

Theronbo

New Record Day - Recent Videos on room treatment.
« on: 5 Feb 2024, 04:07 am »
I’m not a reader of this ‘circle’.

But, have been inspired by Ron over at NRD (New Record Day) to spend all my audiophile $$$ on room treatments.

He just (past week or 2) posted 4 videos on treating a ‘listening room’ he recently acquired. It a separate shed.

He’s taken great pains to document his efforts… not just in the treatments… but his attempt to perform the task as data driven as he could. Ultimately, you use your ears.

I’ve ordered a couble (2 ) microphones… they’re both cheap… ‘test’ mics.

I want to do measurements efore especially…. See/hear where my room is at… & be able to see graphically as well as audibly the differences.

No idea where to start.  I know when I remove a large area rug to clean it (tile floor) room becomes really boomy.

Quite daunting… all the choices … DIY or Pro panels… absorbers vs diffusers…  & I want the room to remain ‘friendly’ to entertaining.

https://youtu.be/iTgW2hZYn08?si=l_i3YrfTNgW8yiKX

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
Re: New Record Day - Recent Videos on room treatment.
« Reply #1 on: 5 Feb 2024, 04:14 am »
Check out acousticfields.com. I think it would top of the heap. They are on YouTube as well. Lots of videos.

Rocket Ronny

AllanS

Re: New Record Day - Recent Videos on room treatment.
« Reply #2 on: 5 Feb 2024, 01:35 pm »
I only watched the last installment in the series.  It did a good job of summarizing the progression and I see the series as really advancing the topic of room acoustics being more important than much of the gear.

I really appreciated Ron’s closing remarks about expectations for improvements in the viewers rooms.  Ron started with a large echo chamber with a lot of room to add treatments that had audible but to my ears progressively less obvious impact.

Available resources will match the depth you’re willing to go.
+1 on Acoustic Fields videos.  Among others, I also really like https://acousticgeometry.com/videos/.  GIK also has a lot of good Acoustics 101 info.

They’re all educational but also designed at some level as marketing material to sell products.

This Audioholics article focuses on small room acoustics, which Ron’s room probably isn’t.
https://www.audioholics.com/room-acoustics/room-reflections-human-adaptation
It includes an embedded video discussion with Matthew Poes whose work definitely influenced my approach, though probably too late for me to avoid spending a few misguided treatment dollars.

If you’re up for it I’d definitely recommend investing time and relatively little money in REW and a measuring mic.  The recommended UMIK 1 or 2 are easy choices.  Measuring before treating will help identifying specific room problems and target treatments or other fixes (DSP, subs).