Help me choose between two bad rooms

lousyreeds1

Help me choose between two bad rooms
« on: 1 Nov 2023, 08:37 pm »
Hi friends,

I just moved into a new space and am trying to decide where to set up the stereo.  Two choices, neither one of which is good.  Room A is 14.5' x 9.5' (138 sq ft), room B is 20.5' x 8.75' (179 sq ft).  Acoustics will be bad in both, though there's overall better symmetry in room A (fewer weird angles, windows, etc).  Room A feels like a standard-proportion bedroom, room B feels weirdly long and narrow.  Do I go for the better symmetry of room A or the larger overall size of room B?

In either case, I'll be using a few room treatments from GIK and Dirac room correction software to make the best of a bad situation.  Speakers are two-way Spendor A7, which I've found to work pretty well in spaces that I would expect to be too small for them - so I'm hopeful on this front.       

Many thanks in advance - I greatly value this group's input.

VinceT

Re: Help me choose between two bad rooms
« Reply #1 on: 1 Nov 2023, 09:20 pm »
Symmetry is important, plus 8.75 foot in room B doesn't give you much room at all for anything. Room A with a nearfield set up is probably your best bet. But both are doable with a nearfield set up where you can get your speakers away from the wall (back and sides) as much as possible and have a little room behind you. Sure others will chime in as well and have great suggestions.

Delta77

« Reply #2 on: 1 Nov 2023, 09:26 pm »
My thoughts pretty much mirror VinceT.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 1 Nov 2023, 11:00 pm »
IMO I think a good planar headphone may help you, mainly with these low sensitivity speakers that will require a big amp. Great equipments dont sound great in bad rooms.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #4 on: 2 Nov 2023, 03:06 am »
I think I'd try the long room, you'll likely have fewer issues with the bass in that room. Set up either on the long wall, well away from the end walls, or diagonally at one end.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 2 Nov 2023, 01:13 pm »
I'd vote for option A as closer to the Golden Rectangle Ratio. 

lousyreeds1

« Reply #6 on: 6 Nov 2023, 08:48 pm »
Thanks to all of you, much appreciated.