New to Audiocicrcle

s_chak

New to Audiocicrcle
« on: 21 Mar 2019, 10:21 am »
Greetings from the Eastside of Seattle, close to Bellevue, Wa.

I am not sure how long an initial post a new audio circle member can post but I thought I would say something about my journey in this hobby.

I am a 54 year old audiophile who grew up listening to vinyl. Our now 41 year old speakers were built in 1977 by a former landlord's son who was a gifted speaker maker. Amazingly those three way speakers are still in my dad's system and going strong.

With each speaker enclosure having a 12 inch woofer I remember how potent the bass of albums such as Dire Straits first album or the Eagles Greatest Hits sounded. This was bass that I could feel in my chest, embedded in an organic well balanced sound. Not surprising then that I my initial encounters with digital were really disappointing

When I first heard digital it sounded so anaemic and lacking in listenability and bass presence. So much so that I thought that there was something wrong with my system. Over time, I realized that atleast some of the missing magic was in the mastering. This is something reinforced by savvy audiophiles in the audio society I currently belong to.

I started the journey of owing my own system in 1995 with a set of B&W Dm630l speakers and a Rotel RA 970BX integrated with RCD 975 cd player. Over the past 20 years I have slowly built a system that sounds warm with good low level detail that isn't etched but is subtly discernible. I run solid state class A amps with a tube preamp along with D'appolito array speakers. This gives me some bass heft along with some mid-range and high frequency warmth. My Dac is an Nos type with a definite analog tone.

I am currently trying to figure out the ins and outs of computer audio. However, my biggest recent learning has been that I need to pay much more attention to the room in which my equipment is placed.

I look forward to learning more about this wonderful hobby via the wisdom of other audio circle members.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: New to Audiocicrcle
« Reply #1 on: 21 Mar 2019, 12:23 pm »
Welcome Schak :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 21 Mar 2019, 12:30 pm »
Welcome!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 21 Mar 2019, 04:31 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC s_chak   :thumb:

Wayner

« Reply #4 on: 21 Mar 2019, 10:28 pm »
Turn around and run.

s_chak

« Reply #5 on: 22 Mar 2019, 09:46 am »
It was nice to receive such a quick welcome to the audiocircle from a few members.

Wow, Phil A you have some really nice equipment in your system/s. Arthurdent, likewise you have gathered some interesting gear and music.