SOTAPRAT DAC updates

audioengr

Re: SOTAPRAT DAC updates
« Reply #40 on: 25 Apr 2020, 09:30 pm »
Thanks for the update!

I have no use for DSD. I would use Ethernet and SPDIF.

I'm still looking forward to hearing this DAC.

Listened last night to 44.1 and 96 tracks.  My wife and I both agree that it beats the Overdrive for vocal liveness using my Music First passive line stage.  For bass and slam, the jury is still out, but may be limited by the line stage transformers.  Really smooth natural vocals.

Still a lot of work to do and money to spend to get it in final form, ready for sale.  I should have a proto to send around before that though.

Steve N.
« Last Edit: 26 Apr 2020, 12:28 am by audioengr »

audioengr

« Reply #41 on: 2 May 2020, 09:00 pm »
Tried native DSD64 yesterday with the Ethernet interface.  Amazing sound quality using Linn Kinsky.  I have the same track 24/96 and DSD64 and the DSD beats the PCM hands-down.  More clear, less echo noise, superb bass.  No overhang.  Great attack and decay.  I've never been a fan of SACD, but this is something else.  Very exciting!!

I plan to download some HDtracks DSF files today and try some tracks that I'm more familiar with.

USB license for DoP is another problem.  At least with Audirvana, it is not showing DSD capable.....
« Last Edit: 2 May 2020, 10:52 pm by audioengr »

richidoo

« Reply #42 on: 3 May 2020, 12:26 am »
You mentioned Roon compatible. Also DLNA? Are there any other ethernet streaming protocols?
thanks

audioengr

« Reply #43 on: 4 May 2020, 07:10 pm »
You mentioned Roon compatible. Also DLNA? Are there any other ethernet streaming protocols?
thanks

Yes, it does DLNA, UPnP and Open Home. I don't know of any other protocols.

I determined that the USB interface can only do DoP, but I have not tested this yet.

The Ethernet can do both DSD64 and DSD128 now.  Cannot do DSD256 because the D/A chip does not support it.  I decided it needed DSD128 because many of the downloaded tracks are only available in 128 and 256.

Steve N.

richidoo

« Reply #44 on: 26 Jun 2020, 02:50 pm »

Still 70 style, but less GI Joe.  :thumb:

Glad you kept the red button.

audioengr

« Reply #45 on: 27 Jun 2020, 05:10 pm »
Richidoo - thanks.  I have had a lot of feedback and made some changes as a result.  I try to listen to what customers prefer.

I made some progress on the DSD and now it should support both 64 and 128 natively using the Ethernet interface.  Still getting the signal timing ironed-out to make the D/A chip happy.

Steve N.

beowulf

« Reply #46 on: 16 Aug 2020, 06:10 am »
This is exciting and very well may be my next DAC.  If I may ask or suggest ... why not just use the same font style and size style of the more classy looking Overdrive on the SOTAPRAT as well as the same toggle switches?  Also, why not use the same amount of slots or are the extra bottom slots needed?

In other words, make the face plate look like the power supply chassis of the Overdrive.

Thanks and looking forward to reading more when you have some updates!

audioengr

« Reply #47 on: 18 Aug 2020, 01:01 am »
This is exciting and very well may be my next DAC.  If I may ask or suggest ... why not just use the same font style and size style of the more classy looking Overdrive on the SOTAPRAT as well as the same toggle switches?  Also, why not use the same amount of slots or are the extra bottom slots needed?

The cooling holes in the top and bottom are not needed, so this reduces cost.  This is a much more efficient DAC that does not get as hot as the Overdrive.

The font from the Substation is much too small to be used on the front panel of the Sotaprat IMO.

Steve N.

audioengr

« Reply #48 on: 4 Aug 2022, 05:27 pm »
The SOTAPRAT with XMOS USB is complete but needs to have baseboard rework imbedded in the new fab.

This DAC is sounding more dynamic than even my reference Overdrive SE.  In fact, I think it is the most dynamic DAC I have ever heard.  I'm using it with a passive transformer line-stage.  Very enjoyable to listen to.  The main difference compared to my Overdrive is a less extended bass end.  I have replaced and upgraded many of the electrolytic caps to make this better and it has helped, but I think the voltage regulators are limiting it.  Compared to most DAC's, it has great bass however.  The Overdrive is exceptional in this regard, so it is a hard thing to compete with.  For instance, I have auditioned many of the Chord DAC's and their bass response is not as good as the SOTAPRAT.

The problem is going to market with it.  It is a $100K investment to do a 100 build of the complete DAC.  I am reluctant to put that kind of money into it when I'm frankly retiring soon.  I think I may just do a new fab imbedding the rework and do a 100 build of the fab only for now.  Then, I may look for another audio company to productize it. I have one more of the original FABs with the regulators soldered on it (must be machine-soldered), so I may build another prototype.

Steve N.