Off-Ramp 5 versus Diverter HR

audioengr

« on: 13 Feb 2012, 01:18 am »
Diverter HR is $2888. Flat cost, no upgrades, no options.
Offramp 5 $2274(without hdmi hynes) + $1199 monolith PSU= $3473. What do you charge to replace LI batteries in monolith psu? This will contribute to overall cost over time. Offramp 4 reviewed in stereophile with monolith was $3068. http://www.stereophile.com/content/empirical-audio-ramp-4-usb-format-converter
Steve I will be interested in the shootout in my system if you manage to find time for a visit. I agree with you comparing base Offramp 4 with Diverter HR isn't fair. The only comparison I've seen between your product and Sonicweld was done by Dave Clark in positive feedback. Original Diverter ($1295) vs Offramp 3/monolith ($2650) http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue46/ramblings.htm

Lets be fair now.  Even without the Monolith, the OR4 beat JA's bridge in the Stereophile review.  He now has the USB Hynes upgrade, so its that much better.

I could put an automatic 5V LI or LIFEPO battery supply on the diverter too and add another $1K to it easily.

If we are comparing apples to apples, the Diverter is $2888.00 and the similarly configured OR5 is $1549.00 (S/PDIF Hynes reg option only)

If I made a trip to Portland for a shootout, I want the results posted by you on this forum as well as Asylum and Computeraudiophile.  I really dont have time for this, but if it's the only way to compare them, I guess I'm game...

What kind of computer and software do you have?  PM, Amarra?

BTW, why dont you drive up here to Black Butte Ranch?  It's a lot more fun than Portland.  You can ski or snowmobile here.  I'll guarantee you that my DAC is world-class, so it will be easier to hear any differences.

Steve N.
« Last Edit: 14 Feb 2012, 06:58 pm by audioengr »

tpaxadpom

« Reply #1 on: 13 Feb 2012, 07:14 am »
Steve, I know you are very enthusiastic about your product.  I only trust results in my own system as everything else is irrelevant to me. I don’t see why you can not bring your own DAC to compare converters over SPDIF. I don't see how it would be easier for me to hear a difference in your system. I always do any serious audition of audio components in my own system. I am afraid I won't be able to make a trip to Black Butte Ranch in the near future.

It looks like the converters reviewed by pro reviewers were shipped with Monolith PSU. That makes me believe monolith psu is essential to get the best performance with Offramp. Dave Clark compared twice as expensive offramp 3 with monolith psu ($2650) and preferred the old Diverter ($1295) (not by small margin, but I won't quote my personal communication here).  So I don’t quite get your motivation why you want to compare offramp 5 without the monolith. I did read your comments here http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Any-thoughts-Diverter-192-vs-ramp-4 where you advice to compare best from both vendors. I tend to agree with you here. I hope the difference between Offramp 5 and Offramp 4 over SPDIF is drastic enough.  The difference between Offramp 3 and 4 was noticeable but not a deal breaker (imho).

As far as battery PSU goes for diverter... do they make 5V LIFEPO batteries? You mean you'll add a regulator to the battery pack and a 3ft cord to help diverter? I would hate to drill a hole in such a beautiful case especially when I am in doubt it will do anything positive.  :nono: I don't want to chop my usb cable as it won't meet usb 2.0 specs.

I haven't heard Hylide, but one person who I know owned one and preferred Offramp 3 with Superclock. Comparing halide that retails $450 with $1500 Offramp 3 isn't quite fair.

All comparisons are system dependent. I don' believe a shootout necessarily prove anything. Perhaps in the context of a given system/reviewer. But that is it. Here is what JA said in his review when he was using DAC with good jitter rejection (DCS Debussy) "In the context of my system using the TAD Compact Reference monitor speakers, I preferred the sound with the Off-Ramp 4. When I switched to the more mellow-balanced Sonus Faber Amati Futura speakers, the Debussy's USB input proved a better match." He changed speakers and the end result was different.

PS: I use macbook pro with Amarra. Contact me via PM if you want to get together.

audioengr

« Reply #2 on: 13 Feb 2012, 07:11 pm »
Steve, I know you are very enthusiastic about your product.  I only trust results in my own system as everything else is irrelevant to me. I don’t see why you can not bring your own DAC to compare converters over SPDIF. I don't see how it would be easier for me to hear a difference in your system. I always do any serious audition of audio components in my own system. I am afraid I won't be able to make a trip to Black Butte Ranch in the near future.

Okay, then I will do the shootout at your place, with some conditions:

1) we use my DAC, preferably connected directly to your amps using XLR cables, no preamp
2) We use my USB and S/PDIF cables

It looks like the converters reviewed by pro reviewers were shipped with Monolith PSU. That makes me believe monolith psu is essential to get the best performance with Offramp.

This is not the case, but it can help. It is not necessary.  In fact, I will bring two different wall-warts and my Monolith.

Dave Clark compared twice as expensive offramp 3 with monolith psu ($2650) and preferred the old Diverter ($1295) (not by small margin, but I won't quote my personal communication here).  So I don’t quite get your motivation why you want to compare offramp 5 without the monolith.

Monolith is not necessary with any of the converters.  The OR3 is 2 generations old and an adaptive interface.  The OR5 is a different product.

I did read your comments here http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Any-thoughts-Diverter-192-vs-ramp-4 where you advice to compare best from both vendors. I tend to agree with you here. I hope the difference between Offramp 5 and Offramp 4 over SPDIF is drastic enough.  The difference between Offramp 3 and 4 was noticeable but not a deal breaker (imho).

You never heard a fully optioned OR4. Makes all the difference.  The OR5 is a lot better.

As far as battery PSU goes for diverter... do they make 5V LIFEPO batteries? You mean you'll add a regulator to the battery pack and a 3ft cord to help diverter? I would hate to drill a hole in such a beautiful case especially when I am in doubt it will do anything positive.  :nono: I don't want to chop my usb cable as it won't meet usb 2.0 specs.

I'm just making the point that it is possible to design an automatic supply for the Diverter also, and this would add $1K to the cost.  It would undoubtedly make it better too.

I haven't heard Halide Bridge, but one person who I know owned one and preferred Offramp 3 with Superclock. Comparing halide that retails $450 with $1500 Offramp 3 isn't quite fair.

There you go.  My older Adaptive generation was actually better than the Halide Async design.  Did the customer have a Monolith?  Probably not.

All comparisons are system dependent. I don't believe a shootout necessarily prove anything.

What? Then am I wasting my time to come to Portland???? :scratch:

Shootouts IMO are the BEST way to determine the best performing gear.

Here is what JA said in his review when he was using DAC with good jitter rejection (DCS Debussy) "In the context of my system using the TAD Compact Reference monitor speakers, I preferred the sound with the Off-Ramp 4. When I switched to the more mellow-balanced Sonus Faber Amati Futura speakers, the Debussy's USB input proved a better match." He changed speakers and the end result was different.

The Debussey USB is not as good as my USB interface, period.  Read this:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?icomp&1328246582&&&/Mach2Music-mini-and-Amarra-:-Huge-disapp

And this:

http://www.dagogo.com/View-Article.asp?bShowUnpublished=&hArticle=860&PageOfArticle=2

The Debussey uses internal clocks to try to reduce jitter, but these clocks are not as good as the OR4 clock, so that's why it sounded not so good with the TAD speakers.  I would be suspicious of anything that does not sound good with the TAD speakers.  It's the jitter of the Debussey clocks that JA was hearing, not the OR4 clocks.  I recommend to avoid these types of DACs, that reclock internally with less desirable clocks.  TAD's are one of the most accurate speakers on the planet IMO.  I would like a pair.

PS: I use macbook pro with Amarra. Contact me via PM if you want to get together.

Perfect.  Which version of Amarra?  I hope not the latest - not so good.  It should be 2.3.2 version (4317)  This is what we need for the shootout.  If you dont have it, I'll bring it.

I'll PM you.

Steve N.

DaveBSC

« Reply #3 on: 13 Feb 2012, 11:55 pm »
I'm curious how this will turn out. Frankly I'd like to know why the Diverter HR is so expensive, and what they are doing to try and deal with the bus power. There is no free lunch there. The Audiophilleo marketing materials go on and on about their "regenerative power supply" which can be easily beaten by a few bucks worth of DIY batteries. USB power stinks, that's all there is to it. I have no idea why you'd want to use it in a nearly $3K product.

audioengr

« Reply #4 on: 14 Feb 2012, 12:00 am »
I'm curious how this will turn out. Frankly I'd like to know why the Diverter HR is so expensive, and what they are doing to try and deal with the bus power. There is no free lunch there. The Audiophilleo marketing materials go on and on about their "regenerative power supply" which can be easily beaten by a few bucks worth of DIY batteries. USB power stinks, that's all there is to it. I have no idea why you'd want to use it in a nearly $3K product.

I agree.  It seems to me that in something that small, you would be forced to use switching regulators.  Certainly not discrete linears.  They take up a lot of space.  3-terminal monolithics are junk.

Steve N.

Patay

• Sonicweld
« Reply #5 on: 14 Feb 2012, 01:46 am »
Hello Everyone,

Josh from Sonicweld here (I designed the Diverter and build each one personally).  There are a few points in this discussion I’d like to address.

First, to Steve: it seems rather cavalier of you to speculate that adding some kind of external supply to the Diverter would add $1k to its cost.  You presume to know how I would accomplish such a thing and what my BOM would amount to.

Next, on the subject of a shootout - why impose all of your system restrictions on tpaxadpom?  If you’re really confident in your product, allow him test it using whatever system configuration he desires and let the cards fall where they may.  It’s one thing to ask, “hey, do you mind if I bring my DAC and cabling so I can compare using familiar equipment?” but quite another to require that many key variables conform to your own arbitrary wishes.  If you were performing your own evaluation I would understand and expect that you’d want to use your own equipment, but I can’t see how this would enhance a shootout at someone else’s place or make the results more trustworthy.

For that matter, it seems to me that your very presence at such a shootout would skew the test outcome in the sense that you have an obvious vested interest in having the Off Ramp come out on top (which is fine and expected; I would feel the same way about the Diverter).  Clearly, that agenda will be transparent to all the participants, and will thus exert some degree of pressure on them to see things your way.  Perhaps I assume that others are too much like me, but I know I could never be fully honest in expressing my feelings about a piece of equipment if I had the designer of said gear looming over me.  I would want to take my time with the evaluation, and conduct it in an environment as free of pressure and bias as possible.

Finally, in regards to the power supply and the incredulity of some as to why I continue to use USB power versus some kind of outboard solution - I’ve written at length in other forums on this issue (I think most heavily over at Head-Fi and computeraudiophile), so I encourage anyone who wants to read up on more of my reasoning to search out those threads.  But I’d like to make a few additional points here, at the risk of being a bit redundant:

1.) I think there is an unjustified and unsupported level of paranoia about USB power quality.  Such pronouncements are usually presented as axiomatic and beyond need of substantiation (“USB power stinks, that's all there is to it.”).  Really?  How was this collective wisdom achieved?  Anyone who questions this oft-parroted canard is seen as daft or ignorant.  Granted, I don’t spend much time on forums, but for as many times as I’ve seen this line of reasoning presented as irrefutable proof of the need for outboard or  battery supplies, I’ve never once seen any of its adherents present measurements or other data to substantiate the supposed evil of USB power.  I wouldn't advocate running an audio device from it directly in unprocessed form, but I have actually measured it on several occasions using a variety of computers, and I don’t think it’s nearly as horrible as most people make it out to be (and I posted some of my results on-line, if anyone wants to hunt for the forum thread).  It is certainly addressable through good power supply design practices.

2.) The power supplies in the Diverter have enjoyed continual refinement; the supply that powers the most critical circuitry (namely the output clocking oscillator)  achieves, to pick an arbitrary frequency, 133 dB of PSRR at 100kHz with a noise level of less than 1nV per root Hertz.  Thus any power supply ripple at that frequency will be reduced by a factor of almost 4.5 million.  To put this in perspective, let’s imagine that the USB bus power suffers from 500mV of ripple and noise, which is far higher than I’ve ever measured from any real-world computer.  Knocked down by 133dB, this yields .112 *microvolts* even in this extreme, fanciful case.  In the Diverter, this 133 dB noise reduction figure accounts for active suppression only, and does not factor in the considerable passive filtering preceding it, nor does it account for the PSRR of the load device itself, so the actual rejection of noise originating from the USB supply will be appreciably higher.  My intent in citing such an example is not to engage in some kind of specsmanship, which I think is rather pointless, but to illustrate my view that the power supply is not an appreciable source of error in the Diverter.  This isn’t to say that it’s perfect (no such thing) or that I won’t find ways to make it even better, just that I see no compelling reason to offer an external supply other than as a concession to market whims.  It wouldn’t surprise me if I sold more Diverters if I offered an outboard supply, but I feel strongly about design integrity, and would never add a “feature” that I didn’t think had true merit simply to satisfy those who feel it should be present.

3.) It has long been my strongly held view that external power supplies have been and continue to be in vogue because they undeservedly give the impression of additional value via the presence of an additional “box.”  This imparts warm fuzzies to both manufacturer and end user, but adds little in the way of actual technical benefit, and may worsen things, actually.  Most insidiously, an external power supply gives the illusion of “isolation,” one of the golden comfort words for many audiophiles, even if few really understand what this means or why it is desirable.  Ask yourself honestly: what exactly do you feel an external supply accomplishes?  How does it accomplish it?  If a device could be designed to perform at least as well or better without an external supply as with one, would you still want an external supply?  If so, why?  BTW, if your answer is “because it looks cool” I have no problem with that; I do have a problem with the idea that a power supply is always better simply because it is external to the main device or consists of batteries, a cold fusion reactor, secret alien tech, or whatever else you want to use as a power source.

Here is the reality of isolation: every USB to SPDIF converter I’m aware of which is capable of USB audio class 2.0 performance, mine included, relies on a galvanic connection to the host computer via a USB cable.  Even if brute force attempts are made to provide “isolation” such as removing the Vbus and/or ground wiring (an abysmally bad idea in my estimation, but one which I’ve seen marketed as the key feature of some audiophile-oriented USB products), there is still an irreducible noise pathway from host to USB endpoint: the differential data pair.  Far from preventing the noise from getting into your device, what this misguided technique accomplishes is to force a much higher level of common-mode noise onto the differential pair than would otherwise be present, where it can wreak all kinds of havoc (or in the case of an ESD event, actual device damage).

A far better design strategy, in my view, is to understand what the noise sources and pathways are and address those issues head-on, rather than throwing a band-aid like an external power supply at the problems.  Sure, in the case of a device with a poorly-designed internal power supply, a very good external one may indeed improve its performance, but why not design things properly in the first place?  This is a key reason why I designed the Diverter without the option of add-ons or upgrades; I strongly believe that designing things as good as I can make them from the beginning will always be preferable to some sort of after-the-fact bolt-on.  Even if the external circuitry is absolutely world-class, there are still the mechanical and electrical weak points of cables and connectors.  A very fast, low-noise, internal supply which is able to exploit direct, low-inductance ties to power and ground planes is always a superior solution.  It isn’t as sexy because it seems inchoate, hidden away on an invisible circuit board, and is beyond the user’s ability to tweak and fiddle with.

So, if the USB device is never really isolated from the host, and state-of-the art power quality is achievable, what reason is there for me to use an external supply?  Steve is at least correct in saying that offering such an option would increase the Diverter’s cost, but I don’t think it would increase its performance or provide additional value, and that’s why I don’t offer it.  That said, there are third-party USB supplies on the market which can be used with the Diverter.  I don’t think they’re necessary and I don’t recommend them, but I can’t stop anyone from trying them (provided they’re competently designed, the Diverter is well-protected against faults and they’re not going to hurt anything).  In fact I have several customers who have tried such supplies with the Diverter, but I’ve never had anyone report that there was any positive benefit, and I’ve had a few tell me they heard no difference whatsoever.  YMMV, of course.

Cheers,

Josh

audioengr

« Reply #6 on: 14 Feb 2012, 06:31 am »
Hello Everyone,

Josh from Sonicweld here (I designed the Diverter and build each one personally).  There are a few points in this discussion I’d like to address.

First, to Steve: it seems rather cavalier of you to speculate that adding some kind of external supply to the Diverter would add $1k to its cost.  You presume to know how I would accomplish such a thing and what my BOM would amount to.

Josh - I said that I could design an automatic Li battery supply to replace the USB supply to retail for about $1K.  Not cavalier at all.  My 12VDC supply retails for $1299.00.  A 5V automatic LI battery supply would retail for a bit less.

Next, on the subject of a shootout - why impose all of your system restrictions on tpaxadpom?  If you’re really confident in your product, allow him test it using whatever system configuration he desires and let the cards fall where they may. 

I did offer to ship it to him, but he insists that I bring it to his system and assist in the setup.

I want to use my own DAC because it will allow us to eliminate the preamp and achieve a much lower noise level to better allow for hearing differences if there are any.  I also dont want compression in any component to hold-back the dynamics etc..  It will still be apple-to-apples.  The only thing that will change is the USB converter.  I just found out that he has my modded Parasound JC-1 monoblocks, so this will definitely help.

For that matter, it seems to me that your very presence at such a shootout would skew the test outcome in the sense that you have an obvious vested interest in having the Off Ramp come out on top (which is fine and expected; I would feel the same way about the Diverter).  Clearly, that agenda will be transparent to all the participants, and will thus exert some degree of pressure on them to see things your way. 

I'll try not to pressure anyone.  I'm confident that he will be candid in his conclusions. I want a fair fight here.  Volume levels will be adjusted and not changed.  The same tracks will be used.  I dont believe that he is the kind of person that will be influenced.  After all, he already has the Diverter and there is some pride of ownership there, potentially creating bias.

Finally, in regards to the power supply and the incredulity of some as to why I continue to use USB power versus some kind of outboard solution - I’ve written at length in other forums on this issue (I think most heavily over at Head-Fi and computeraudiophile), so I encourage anyone who wants to read up on more of my reasoning to search out those threads. 

I've read your rebuttals online more than once and I understand your arguments.  The fact that you have good power regulation of USB power in such a small convenient box is definitely novel.

However, I have as many arguments in the other direction.  If one has unlimited space and power capacity, then its easier to realize a high quality power system that is immune to input noise.  Notice that I said system, not supply.

My new products are really more about the final regulation than whatever wall-wart or battery powers it.  This is where the magic takes place.  I want the product to sound the same when using any power supply, AC or battery.  I want it to sound the same no matter what USB cable and computer I use.  This is not so much the case with the OR3 and OR4.  They did benefit from Li battery supplies.  With the advent of the OR5, the effect of the power supply is much less, so I dont believe there will be much incentive to change from the stock wall-wart.  In order to get good input rejection and excellent regulation, I need to start with a much higher voltage than 5V, so USB power does not work for me.

IME, it is difficult at best to deal with variable length varying quality USB cables and computer USB power supplies of varying quality.  You may have pulled this off successfully, but these are variables that I don't care to deal with.  I prefer to have complete control over the power feed capacity and voltage, and allow for future upgradability and upgrade options if needed.

BTW, did you design the Locus USB cables?  Nice job if you did.

Steve N.

Patay

• Sonicweld
« Reply #7 on: 14 Feb 2012, 08:05 am »
Apologies for my misunderstanding about the external supply, Steve - when I read this from you:

I'm just making the point that it is possible to design an automatic supply for the Diverter also, and this would add $1K to the cost.  It would undoubtedly make it better too.

I thought you were saying that if I chose to offer a Sonicweld-branded external supply for the Diverter, it would add $1k to the Diverter's cost, and I thought that sounded rather presumptuous.  I re-read the thread and saw some of your earlier text that clarified what you were talking about.  My bad. :duh:

Regarding the shootout - I understand your points, and if tpaxadpom has invited you to be present, so be it.  Personally I would recuse myself from such an exercise, or at the very least I'd restrain myself from posting "results" all over the net with the implication that they are somehow definitive and generally applicable, but that's just my opinion and I won't belabor it further.

FYI, my comments about power supply issues weren't directed exclusively at you, Steve - they were as much in response to other comments here and, by extension, elsewhere in forums.  Yes, I'm sure you've seen my responses before; like a cockroach that won't die after being repeatedly stepped on, this USB power subject keeps resurrecting itself, and thus I feel occasionally compelled to respond afresh.

No, I didn't design the Locus Design cables (much as I respect what Lee did, I'd never want to be directly involved in the cable business).  I would say I influenced them to a small degree in that I acted as Lee's technical advisor in several areas, and also in that he designed all of his cables using various Diverter iterations as his references, but the geometry, aesthetics, names, build methodology, and material choices were all his.  I played a minimal role.  Thanks for the kind words, though; I'm sure Lee would have been happy to hear them.  Sadly, his greatest USB cable work was never experienced by anyone other than him, myself, and a long-time customer of his who purchased the one-off prototype cable he built that was to be positioned above even the mighty Cynosure v2.

Josh

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: 14 Feb 2012, 12:20 pm »
I want it to sound the same no matter what USB cable and computer I use. 
Steve N.

Okay, then I will do the shootout at your place, with some conditions:

1) we use my DAC, preferably connected directly to your amps using XLR cables, no preamp
2) We use my USB and S/PDIF cables

What am I missing here?  Then why not use the owners current cables?  Also, to do a true apples to apples you should hookup your unit exactly how the customer has his Diverter hooked up.  If your product is preffered he will hear it and then at that time he should experiement without the pre. 

audioengr

Re: Off-Ramp 5 versus Diverter HR
« Reply #9 on: 14 Feb 2012, 07:09 pm »
Regarding the shootout - I understand your points, and if tpaxadpom has invited you to be present, so be it.  Personally I would recuse myself from such an exercise, or at the very least I'd restrain myself from posting "results" all over the net with the implication that they are somehow definitive and generally applicable, but that's just my opinion and I won't belabor it further.

I agree.  I planned to let the customer do the posting on this.  I may link to his posts however.  I would much rather defer to customer feedback.  In this era of marketing BS, its the only thing customers can believe anymore....

I have an ulterior motive of getting my Overdrive DAC into his system, which will I think be very interesting, as well as assisting in the listening session.

FYI, my comments about power supply issues weren't directed exclusively at you, Steve - they were as much in response to other comments here and, by extension, elsewhere in forums.  Yes, I'm sure you've seen my responses before; like a cockroach that won't die after being repeatedly stepped on, this USB power subject keeps resurrecting itself, and thus I feel occasionally compelled to respond afresh.

This is a lot like jitter or cable non-believers.  It will not die, and I just want to go fishing and not hear any more about it.

No, I didn't design the Locus Design cables (much as I respect what Lee did, I'd never want to be directly involved in the cable business).  I would say I influenced them to a small degree in that I acted as Lee's technical advisor in several areas, and also in that he designed all of his cables using various Diverter iterations as his references, but the geometry, aesthetics, names, build methodology, and material choices were all his.  I played a minimal role.  Thanks for the kind words, though; I'm sure Lee would have been happy to hear them.  Sadly, his greatest USB cable work was never experienced by anyone other than him, myself, and a long-time customer of his who purchased the one-off prototype cable he built that was to be positioned above even the mighty Cynosure v2.

We will all miss Lee.  Great guy for sure.

Best Regards,
Steve N.

audioengr

« Reply #10 on: 14 Feb 2012, 07:16 pm »
What am I missing here?  Then why not use the owners current cables?  Also, to do a true apples to apples you should hookup your unit exactly how the customer has his Diverter hooked up.  If your product is preffered he will hear it and then at that time he should experiement without the pre.

The result in theory should be independent of the cables, preamp and DAC, however there are some issues with that:

1) Customers dont always have an expensive USB cable that is short.  In this case, the USB cable may have an effect on the results.  I plan to use a standard Belkin gold 5 meter cable, nothing special.  If the price of the converter is an issue here, then an expensive USB cable adds to that price if it is required for good results.

2) The customers DAC and preamp could easily mask some of the differences we are looking for here.  The preamp is not an expensive one, so it will likely cause some compression and add noise.  Any differences will be much easier to hear without the pre and with a better DAC.

Not that we will not try his DAC and pre, because we will.  We will have apples-to-apples with my front-end and with his front-end.  All of this will be a learning exercise.

Steve N.

Patay

• Sonicweld
« Reply #11 on: 14 Feb 2012, 09:08 pm »
Not trying to nitpick here, but people often assume a lack of refutation implies truth or endorsement, so...

It seems to me that in something that small, you would be forced to use switching regulators.  Certainly not discrete linears.  They take up a lot of space.

Careful with the assumptions - my designs are entirely SMT, are populated on both sides of the PCB, and employ parts as small as an 0201 package (about the size of ground pepper, for the uninitiated).  One can fit a lot of circuitry into a small space using such techniques.  The small size was very much deliberate and required great effort (far more than would be required to make something, say, three or four times larger).  The compactness has the added benefit of having extremely short signal paths and tight current loops, which constitute best practices in high-speed digital design.

3-terminal monolithics are junk.

I certainly agree with that.  I have never used (and would never use) 3-terminal regulators in any of my designs.

audioengr

« Reply #12 on: 14 Feb 2012, 09:13 pm »
Not trying to nitpick here, but people often assume a lack of refutation implies truth or endorsement, so...

Careful with the assumptions - my designs are entirely SMT, are populated on both sides of the PCB, and employ parts as small as an 0201 package (about the size of ground pepper, for the uninitiated).  One can fit a lot of circuitry into a small space using such techniques.  The small size was very much deliberate and required great effort (far more than would be required to make something, say, three or four times larger).  The compactness has the added benefit of having extremely short signal paths and tight current loops, which constitute best practices in high-speed digital design.

I certainly agree with that.  I have never used (and would never use) 3-terminal regulators in any of my designs.

You must have better eyes than I.  0402's are challenging enough. I modded an iPod once.  A Nightmare. You actually assemble 0201s by hand?

Steve N.

Patay

• Sonicweld
« Reply #13 on: 14 Feb 2012, 09:41 pm »
Yup!  I can't tell you how many parts have ended up on my shop floor, lost forever, because I simply breathed on them.  They're pretty routine for me now, but they are maddening sometimes.

tpaxadpom

« Reply #14 on: 15 Feb 2012, 04:30 am »
0201 are not easy for even experienced techs when there is a big ground plane. Our techs love me when I bring a board and ask them to replace a T-pad (5 0201 resistors).

As far as converters go,

Ideally I would prefer to spend a few days with each converter using my own setup. From my personal experience the short term listening session isn't enough to characterize an audio component. Maybe having Steve shipped his latest version of Offramp 5 to me a few days prior to shootout would be the best approach to make this comparison worthwile.

I have full range speakers with 2 subs in the near field. I don’t have quality XLR cables but my entire system can be wired like that, providing Steve brings 7m long XLR for my subs. The preamp I have has 2 sets of single-ended and 1 set of balanced outs. Now if we were to use power amps with XLRs the gain on my subs will have to be adjusted. I don't adjust by ear. If I start generating sweeps it usually takes a day (my fronts run a full-range). Playing with different cables/DACs to optimize the sound may take days.
I’d like to have Steve over so that he can audition the Diverter HR with his components DAC/cabling. I've heard good things about Steve's DAC so I wouldn't mind hearing one.

audioengr

« Reply #15 on: 15 Feb 2012, 06:09 am »
0201 are not easy for even experienced techs when there is a big ground plane. Our techs love me when I bring a board and ask them to replace a T-pad (5 0201 resistors).

As far as converters go,

Ideally I would prefer to spend a few days with each converter using my own setup. From my personal experience the short term listening session isn't enough to characterize an audio component. Maybe having Steve shipped his latest version of Offramp 5 to me a few days prior to shootout would be the best approach to make this comparison worthwile.

I have full range speakers with 2 subs in the near field. I don’t have quality XLR cables but my entire system can be wired like that, providing Steve brings 7m long XLR for my subs. The preamp I have has 2 sets of single-ended and 1 set of balanced outs. Now if we were to use power amps with XLRs the gain on my subs will have to be adjusted. I don't adjust by ear. If I start generating sweeps it usually takes a day (my fronts run a full-range). Playing with different cables/DACs to optimize the sound may take days.
I’d like to have Steve over so that he can audition the Diverter HR with his components DAC/cabling. I've heard good things about Steve's DAC so I wouldn't mind hearing one.

I can bring some test tracks to balance the subs, and my sound level meter.  I have Radio Shack or iPad meter.  I also have a spectrum analyzer app.

The cables are no problem.  I think we can balance the subs fairly quickly. 

If they are really full-range speakers, can we do without the subs??

Steve N.

tpaxadpom

« Reply #16 on: 15 Feb 2012, 08:13 am »
Steve, I have all kinds of software/hardware to do acoustic measurements. There is a bit more to it then simply adjusting the level with pink noise. If you want a good free app to do room measurements check out Room Equalizer Wizard available as a free download for registered members on hometheatershack forum. We can do the shootout without subs but I will have to get them out of the room and each is like 160lbs. This shootout should be done with subs (flatter frequency response range with extended deep end). No worries, we will figure something out. And no I have a separate HT setup, that is not why I have these subs in my 2 channel room.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: 15 Feb 2012, 12:45 pm »
If I may I'd like to throw my opinion in too as I've been following this interesting thread.  I think sending the OR 5 in advance would be a wise choice.  It's hard to really setup everything when two people are trying to do it where as it's really easier to just let tpaxadpom do it as he seems to have REW and know how to use it (congrats!). 

So, send the OR 5, let him get everything worked out properly with REW and then you Steve show up for some listening. 

BTW-The iPhone & iPad apps are not accurate using the internal mic.  There are many threads about this.

audioengr

« Reply #18 on: 15 Feb 2012, 08:19 pm »
Steve, I have all kinds of software/hardware to do acoustic measurements. There is a bit more to it then simply adjusting the level with pink noise. If you want a good free app to do room measurements check out Room Equalizer Wizard available as a free download for registered members on hometheatershack forum. We can do the shootout without subs but I will have to get them out of the room and each is like 160lbs. This shootout should be done with subs (flatter frequency response range with extended deep end). No worries, we will figure something out. And no I have a separate HT setup, that is not why I have these subs in my 2 channel room.

Okay.  If things are relatively flat already in your setup, then we should be able to get a decent balance just using a 50Hz and a 1kHz tone.  This would be quick.

Steve N.

Audioexcels

« Reply #19 on: 16 Feb 2012, 12:47 pm »

As far as converters go,

1) What's the point of having the OR5 if you can just listen to Steve's DAC?  I was unclear how you were discussing DAC's and then you switched to converters?

2) What's the point of having different cabling?  Steve says the cabling should not make much/any difference, but even if there is, you should have cabling that is good to your ears, and that's all that matters. 

3) Brings me to next point=what is the point having Steve around when only you can decide what works best for you?  Even if the Diverter is clearly superior, will Steve want to hear what exactly is superior, wouldn't he want to hear it in his system, in a room at an RMAF show side by side with his own component/s, etc. etc.?  In the end, it's all subjective, and only you as a listener of your own system can say what you want to have in your setup.

4) You may not need an A/B test or if you do, you already know you have two devices that are on equal terms and just want to figure out what exactly you are hearing differently, if much of anything at all, between them.  In the end, if all things are quite equal=equal enough, it's a no brainer going with the cheaper device.

If you have full range speakers, you won't need the subs.  Sure, it's fun to bring them into the session to increase the potential system SPL, but otherwise, they are useless in terms of resolution that your full range speakers will or should already be providing/at least giving you the tones/cues/etc.

Hopefully you can make this happen since you are eager to know how each sounds in your system and you can make your own subjective comments about your experience, should you elect to do so.