Really good Vintage Receivers - what’s your experience

RDavidson

Re: Really good Vintage Receivers - what’s your experience
« Reply #20 on: 12 Jun 2021, 08:25 pm »
Per some of the earlier comments, I also have a NAD 3020B in excellent condition that I had recapped maybe 10 years ago. It has been nothing but reliable. I don't use it often, but doubt I'll ever sell it. It's a fantastic backup amp and has been handy. It could serve as the center of a modest spare system just as well.

EricP72

« Reply #21 on: 23 Aug 2021, 10:43 am »
I had a Sansui G-6000 and I sold it years ago. Now I'm setting up a 2 channel setup and I'm thinking about another vintage receiver and the Sansui G-8000 is on my list.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #22 on: 24 Aug 2021, 11:57 am »
Since my last post I dug out an old Nakamichi AV 500 receiver, a line made exclusively for Best Buy many years ago that reportedly contained the same amp as the more expensive regular line, just without some of the fancier features.  Man this thing kicks butt!  Rated 120 watts per channel it feels like it from the weight, very heavy, and from the sound, dynamic with a powerful bass line.

Craig B

« Reply #23 on: 24 Aug 2021, 04:35 pm »
I started with a Pioneer SX-727 in 1973. Sold it in '78 to help fund some GAS/Magnepan/Decca equipment as I moved into entry-level high end. I wish I still had it just for fun - it didn't have any problems other than some dirty switches. Of course, I have no idea how good the sound was - it was used exclusively with mediocre speakers in mediocre rooms. I heard better sound from later equipment, but that stuff also benefited from better speakers, better rooms, better recordings, and better-trained ears/brain.

johzel

« Reply #24 on: 24 Aug 2021, 04:40 pm »
Of course as with all things stereo a lot is opinion, but I do wish I still had my 1st system Marantz 1060 integrated.

My first system also centered on the 1060 integrated.  I've often thought about finding another just for nostalgia sake. :thumb:

djbnh

« Reply #25 on: 24 Aug 2021, 10:44 pm »
Proudly have my dad's Fisher 800-B receiver - bare chassis version (circa 1960) - that's in very good shape including having all the knob end caps and a plethora of NOS tubes (out of the unit's 22 tubes, I've only had to replace the two EM84A cats-eye tuning tubes, albeit the unit hasn't got much of a workout the past few years.)

I'm sure a major overhaul is in store one of these days, but the odd dusting seems to suffice for now. More info about this model: https://antiqueradio.org/Fisher800B.htm

lazydays

« Reply #26 on: 26 Aug 2021, 09:10 pm »
ONKYO! Owned too many of the other brands. Sansui probably sound best, but also die a quick painless death. They are good for about half the life of the others. The Marantz (back when they made good stuff) 22xx series are very nice, but now days way over priced. Have never listened to the Arcam, but have heard they sound good.
NAD's are fairly good, but nothing to brag about like their seperates.
gary

mr_bill

« Reply #27 on: 26 Aug 2021, 10:05 pm »
I have a Pioneer 780 - really nice.
I've heard great things about Onkyo A-10, A-7

Skilly

« Reply #28 on: 7 Oct 2021, 04:45 am »
I posted in another vintage topic the full story but for sake of discussion, I am currently madly in love with my Vector Research VR-7000.
1978 It just sounds GOOD

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #29 on: 7 Oct 2021, 05:12 pm »

Several vintage pieces, several already mentioned above, are still here in rotation and still functioning up to par. The one receiver I couldn’t wait to send to the dump was the Nakamichi-TA-3-you-piece-of-crap-how-many-times-must-you-go-into-protection-mode-five-times-in-a-week-really-five-times-and-after-two-count-em-two-technician-visits-and-you’re-still-locking-into-protection-mode-you-piece-of-crap-how-I- hate-you-Stasis-Receiver.

DAY4201

« Reply #30 on: 24 Dec 2021, 06:25 pm »
I recently completely restored a Pioneer SX-850 (1977) that I bought for a measly $15 at a local GW. Best deal I ever made and probably ever will. It was in cosmetically great shape but quite dirty from probably sitting in either a garage or basement for many year.  It was one of my first restorations and needed and receive plenty of help from some very knowledgeable people on Audiokarma.

I use the same user name as I am here so it is possible to read and see the amount of work that went into it.

I use use it most with for listening and recording to cassette tape plus listening to vinyl. It is possibly the best vintage receiver I have but I am just beginning to restore a Sansui Seven which may be a good competitor. We'll see.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #31 on: 25 Dec 2021, 12:36 am »
I just saw Lestersleepsin's post, I can relate to the Nakamichi agita.
My BX-100 went into the shop once too often and then it visited the town dump.

rotarius

« Reply #32 on: 25 Dec 2021, 02:09 am »
I had a Luxman R1040 which was very very good even with old caps.  I am sure a refreshed one is terrific.  As for integrated amps, I have a refurbished Onkyo A-7 that is superb.  Although rated at 60wpc, the generous power supply of these things make them stand out for bass impact and heft.  Compared to the Arcams, NADs and other midfi stuff I have tried, the A-7 is just better and more musical. 

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #33 on: 25 Dec 2021, 02:30 am »
Still packed up after our retirement move. I love my Sansui AU-9500

Old photo of the AU-9500 & TU-9500

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #34 on: 25 Dec 2021, 04:48 am »
I've got a good friend that runs a record store.  They also sell a lot of used vintage stereo gear.  One day I walked in with a big box that had a $5 Chinese TDA 7297 amp that I'd put "upgrade" caps in (orange drops).  It was hooked up to a 5AH sla 12v battery.  We AB'ed against their best Sansui, Pioneer, and Marantz receivers.  It killed them all.  When we unboxed the mystery amp, they were amazed. 
Vintage is cool because of nostalgia.  There are old tube units that still are excellent, but the 70's and 80's stuff doesn't measure up. 

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #35 on: 25 Dec 2021, 07:40 pm »
Yesterday’s post was a nudge

Unboxed, hooked up and playing

FireGuy

« Reply #36 on: 26 Dec 2021, 02:16 am »
I recently completely restored a Pioneer SX-850 (1977) that I bought for a measly $15 at a local GW. Best deal I ever made and probably ever will. It was in cosmetically great shape but quite dirty from probably sitting in either a garage or basement for many year.  It was one of my first restorations and needed and receive plenty of help from some very knowledgeable people on Audiokarma.

I use the same user name as I am here so it is possible to read and see the amount of work that went into it.

I use use it most with for listening and recording to cassette tape plus listening to vinyl. It is possibly the best vintage receiver I have but I am just beginning to restore a Sansui Seven which may be a good competitor. We'll see.

I had one which I originally purchased in Japan (Yokosuska) in '77.  Owned it for 30 years and sold it.  Had a veneer problem and finally would not "pop" on as it should...with some bulbs out (minor issue) too.   I will say it was a solid unit, played well, plenty of power (Sansui SP-5500X speakers) for most of the years and the build quality extraordinary.  Loved it.  Had to go the AVR route with separate SET.  Kinda miss it.  The feel of the toggles, gain and tuner knobs was pure joy.  Monster of a unit.  Weighed a bunch and you had to get motivated to move it any real distance.

DAY4201

« Reply #37 on: 26 Dec 2021, 04:01 pm »
It is a beast for sure. 19.1kg/ 42.1 lbs. From what I read this one and maybe others in the series often had problems due to the fact  that the power supply which runs hot is on the bottom of the unit so it sort of cooks other components leading to failure. It also, like many vintage units, was built with what are now known as noisy transistors. They are always replaced in any restoration. But as you say the look and feel of the solid aluminum switches and knobs really are nice. This one does have a few places where the veneer has separated from the backing board. I can live with that. It is still in the "break in" so I am waiting to see how it will sound once it gets more hours on it.

mav52

« Reply #38 on: 26 Dec 2021, 05:03 pm »
I still have my Marantz 2270
  Needs to be recapped, new speaker terminals, ground updated