positioning the ht3's

rwerner

positioning the ht3's
« on: 31 Aug 2007, 05:59 pm »
I've had trouble getting an integrated sound from my HT3's.  This was characterized on many recordings by an overemphsis on stereo separation.  Undoubtedly it was because I had no room to back away from the speakers, and  I was therefore forced to listen from a position that was too close.  This unintegrated sound was not helped by toe in that left me at the apex of an equilateral triangle, or even behind the apex.  So I tried moving my speakers closer together, fearing that this would narrow my sound stage too much.  But it worked! I now have the apex of the triangle crossing behind me, and a virtual sitting position that is somewhere in the middle of the hall is produced, perhaps a bit further back than I wish, but worth the gain in integration.  I suspect the gain in sound quality is also due to the speakers being moved further away from the side walls of my room.  Summary:  don't be afraid to position your speakers closer together, when sitting closer than ideal. (the dimensions are:  distance between the speakers=5 feet. Seating position from front of speaker:  8 feet)/

95bcwh

Re: positioning the ht3's
« Reply #1 on: 31 Aug 2007, 07:31 pm »
This was how I positioned my HT3 when I was living in small apartment - the speaker completely disappeared, the singer was singing just few feet away, instruments were playing all around me, even a guy who owns a $300k system was impressed with the sound I got out of it! :green:

Of course, some people may not like the feeling of being so close to the "stage".

fsimms

« Reply #2 on: 31 Aug 2007, 10:35 pm »
This was how I positioned my HT3 when I was living in small apartment - the speaker completely disappeared, the singer was singing just few feet away, instruments were playing all around me

I heard his setup that way.  It was the best sound that I have ever heard.  It was strange sitting on the stage just in front of the musicians though!  Fabulous sound though.

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #3 on: 22 Feb 2009, 02:24 am »
This was how I positioned my HT3 when I was living in small apartment - the speaker completely disappeared, the singer was singing just few feet away, instruments were playing all around me, even a guy who owns a $300k system was impressed with the sound I got out of it! :green:

Of course, some people may not like the feeling of being so close to the "stage".

Can I ask why the speakers ore offset from the sidewalls? Did you have a bass node issue perhaps?