New owner of M4TS speakers has a question: Why were these speakers discontinued?

chazz101s

Hello, y'all.

I've owned my M4TS speakers for a couple of months.  (They have replaced Buggtussel Amydalas, which I used [and still own] for 13 years.)

I am very, very impressed with my Spatial Audios.  (Still siting them in my 13ft x 10ft x 9ft room.  New positions for them every 3 or 4 or 5 days . . . yes, I'm getting close to screwing in the spikes.  But, man, dialling in new-to-these-ears speakers is a lot of work! ;-)

Anybody who knows, please fill me in on why a speaker as impressive (at least to my ears) as the M4TS model - and as affordable to own - was discontinued.

Your insight will be very much appreciated.

Cheers, Chaz

jjss49

perhaps clayton will answer this...

erniek

I'm curious about this as well. They did not seem to stay around for long. I use mine with a REL t-7 sub and they do blend well with it.

Audiosaurusrex

I am a very proud owner of the M3 sapphire. I bought mine in January 2020. One of the earlier models. Within a few months, Clayton had already changed the design to include a different base module and angled stance. Initially when speaking to Clayton and hence watching a few of his interviews and explanations of his designs, he is truly a visionary and strives to continually improve his speakers. He has the gift of art and science and an amazing ear for matching and mounting those custom drivers. Probably saw the M4TS as an awesome design but moves forward. I’m hoping the M3’s will continue too.

morganc

Simple answer:  the new models are much better across the board. 

Spatial Audio

Hello Chazz,

Happy to hear that you are liking the M4TS. It is a legit good sounding speaker, but is much older than most may realize. The original design is from 2015. We continued producing it until we were able to develop the more advanced approach found in the Sapphire series we introduced in 2019. So, it is incorrect that they were not on the market very long. A classic speaker nevertheless. Enjoy!

Clayton Shaw
Spatial Audio Lab

chazz101s

Thank you, Mr. Shaw.  Your taking the time to reply to me is much appreciated!

Chaz

Birdbrain

It is a shame that entry level Spatials went from $2k to $3450, probably a bridge too far for many people. My advice? Get a part time job.  :)

jjss49

It is a shame that entry level Spatials went from $2k to $3450, probably a bridge too far for many people. My advice? Get a part time job.  :)

maybe so, but based on my experience the current spatials still offer tremendous performance for the outlay... puts many more expensive speakers to shame

TomS

He has an entry level Sapphire based speaker in the pipeline at that price point, sort of a stand mount.