St. Louis "Rockumentary"

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
St. Louis "Rockumentary"
« on: 22 Dec 2023, 03:00 am »
Mainly based on the radio station KSHE, it talks about the impact St. Louis had on Rock and Roll "back in the day". The list of popular musicians that give credit to STL for their fame is impressive.
If you grew up in STL, you'll recognize so many of the DJ names. Lot of memories for me as I grew up here, and with these guys voices in my speakers.
Hope you enjoy:

https://youtu.be/CVDelcKWVUY?si=nw2ApQL-Aixk3zAf

BPT

• Industry Participant
  • Balanced Power Technologies
Re: St. Louis "Rockumentary"
« Reply #1 on: 22 Dec 2023, 08:52 pm »
 :rock: :rock: :rock:
BPT
« Last Edit: 23 Dec 2023, 11:14 am by BPT »

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
« Reply #2 on: 22 Dec 2023, 10:24 pm »
Thanks Bob for posting this Saint Louis Rockumentary.
Born and raised in Webster Groves.  Went to grade school with Mark Klose.
Grew up listening to KSHE and still do today.

Scott F.

« Reply #3 on: 24 Dec 2023, 02:22 pm »
I started listening to KSHE right around '68 or '69, mostly because of my parents complaining about the content at the time. I remember my mom saying KSHE was promoting premarital sex, drugs and all things counter-culture. What made it even more alluring, my cousins house was three blocks away from KSHE's studio window. I can't tell you how many times over the years, we were at the window requesting tunes, sharing herbs with the DJs and just hanging out.

Those lucky enough to live in St Louis in the 60's, and 70's, got one of the most varied rock music education in all the country. There are groups that would have never "made it" without KSHE. A few that come to mind, Sammy Hagar, Nectar, REO Speedwagon, tons of southern rock bands like LRB, Ozark Mountain Daredevils, Poco and so many others. St Louis became THE concert stop in the mid-west, back in the day. If KSHE played your tunes and St Louis bought your records, there was a good chance you were going to be successful. Many, many stations across the country would look to KSHE for what was getting air time and they'd start playing it.

On the weekends, the overnite jocks got into REALLY deep tracks from groups like Gentle Giant, Hawkwind, Genesis, Yes. Those times really developed my love of prog and psych. Back then, in my teens, I spend countless hours with 'cans' on listening to everything KSHE had to offer.

...and still going today, KSHE is the oldest rock format radio station in the nation.

For those outside of StL, here is a link to do a little deeper dive on KSHE
https://www.kshe95.com/museum/

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #4 on: 24 Dec 2023, 06:42 pm »
Ahhh, Prince Knight, Mark Klose, Radio Rich, Ted Habek, Rick Balis, Randy Raley, Ken Suitter, Gary Kolander, Joe “Mama” Mason, Al, the guy the women go fer Hofer.

My lord what an amazing bunch of DJ’s that opened up so many different genre’s of rock, new wave, Prog, and on and on.

Sooooo much music I would have never been exposed to if it weren’t for KSHE 95.  :green:

sturgus

« Reply #5 on: 24 Dec 2023, 09:12 pm »
 :rock: :rock: :rock: Since 69 Rockin On

BPT

• Industry Participant
  • Balanced Power Technologies
« Reply #6 on: 25 Dec 2023, 12:50 pm »
Saw Nektar a little while back at the Wildey in Edwardsville. One original member left in the band and they guys sounded fabulous. Before the show, a couple jocks from KSHE called the band out on stage and inducted them in the KSHE Rock Hall of Fame. There were some good stories told and everyone enjoyed remembering the future. Merry Christmas to all.
BPT

cfisher835

« Reply #7 on: 25 Dec 2023, 04:46 pm »
Nektar! I titled an academic paper I gave in Scotland this summer "Remember the Future" but no one seemed to get the reference. Thanks for posting the rockumentary.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 25 Dec 2023, 04:50 pm »
Seems the algorithms at Youtube are working perfectly, they dropped this in my lap last night:
KSHE History 1967-1984 -- A Brief History Of The First 17 Years Of The Radio Station
(I've not watched it yet)

https://youtu.be/pE09owJ2l0w?si=Hgf_5d5rYs0V5FlM

Flycl65 captain

« Reply #9 on: 26 Dec 2023, 02:06 am »
I saw Joe Mason had some Magenpan 3.7i for sale on Facebook Markeplace last month.  I almost bought them… just didn't want speakers sitting 3-4’ out from the walls.  It doesn't sound like much, until you measure it out.

vinyldavid

• Collectorious Giganticus
« Reply #10 on: 26 Dec 2023, 03:05 am »
I have KSHE's last great turntable, a Technics SP-10mk2a.  It was installed in the mid eighties and pulled from service during their last move.

Their current turntable is a Technics SL-1200mk2, which is an excellent vinyl spinner in its' own right, but it's no SP-10mk2!

popthinker

« Reply #11 on: 26 Dec 2023, 04:23 am »
I worked for KWK one summer doing music research and got to play softball in the St. Louis Music League against the KSHE crew (which still contained some of the greats). John Ulett was a tough out!

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #12 on: 26 Dec 2023, 02:08 pm »
I worked for KWK one summer doing music research and got to play softball in the St. Louis Music League against the KSHE crew (which still contained some of the greats). John Ulett was a tough out!

His wife Ruth and I graduated from high school together.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 26 Dec 2023, 02:55 pm »
Welcome aboard "Flycl65 captain". Your post is approved. I think you have to post once more before you're totally free to post?