Quicksilver Amps, Anyone?

Animule

Quicksilver Amps, Anyone?
« on: 13 Jul 2023, 02:49 pm »
I'm curious if anyone is using Quicksilver amps with their Salks. I've got the Encore 9.5s being powered by Wells Audio's Innamorata II, which sounds great. Like too many of us, I'm just thinking about trying a different approach. I used to own Quickies from the 1980s and LOVED the sound, but the rectifier tubes were constantly blowing out so I moved into solid state. Quicksilvers new KT Monos, which can put out 100 watts with KT 150 tubes and don't have tube rectification, seem like a good fit for the Encores.

I look forward to hearing if y'all have any experience to share!

mick wolfe

Re: Quicksilver Amps, Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jul 2023, 05:13 pm »
I have a friend driving either Nola KO's or Nola Grand Reference's with Quicksilver V4 monos. Both Nola's appear to be similar in spec to your Salks. The sound of his system is nothing short of spectacular. The V4's are certainly worth a serious look IMHO. And yes, V4's have solid state rectification.

Animule

« Reply #2 on: 13 Jul 2023, 05:59 pm »
Thanks, Mick. I'm not that familiar with Nola speakers, but based on cost alone they seem pretty special. It's positive to know that Quickies are the amp of choice for your friend's system!

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jul 2023, 02:28 am »
I used Silver 88 Monoblocks with my HT2-TLs in combination with a USB DAC and a Placette RVC. Dynamics and transparency in spades.

Though I'd love to try the Benchmark AHB-2 amp. Have read some wonderful things about that little box.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jul 2023, 12:54 pm »
Quickies are great with everything!

MttBsh

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jul 2023, 01:08 pm »
Though I'd love to try the Benchmark AHB-2 amp. Have read some wonderful things about that little box.
[/quote]

One was just listed for sale on the Trading Post:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=186482.msg1955034#new

Rocket

« Reply #6 on: 15 Jul 2023, 12:19 pm »
Hi,

The Wells Audio INNAMORATA II is supposed to be a first class amplifier. Make sure your just making a sideways move with something different. I sure wish I listened to myself over the years. Upgraditis... lol\

Btw the have you thought of modifying your current amp:

http://www.wellsaudio.com/modifications

Cheers Rod

Animule

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jul 2023, 06:25 pm »
Wise words, Rod. Make no mistake, the Innamorata is an amazing amp! Just this morning I was blown away by the Dead's American Beauty, an album I've heard hundreds of times. My fantasizing about tubes is purely an interest in choosing "sweetness" over "accuracy." Just a different flavor, if you will.

aljordan

• http://home.roadrunner.com/~aljordan
« Reply #8 on: 29 Jan 2024, 05:11 pm »
Sorry for being a little late to the game. I have the later KT150 version of the Quicksilver Silver 88 monos, which are very similar in design to the current KT mono amps, just a little less wattage. The Silver 88 sounded very good on my buddy's Song 3 Encores.