SET amp

onaclearday

SET amp
« on: 7 Feb 2020, 07:03 pm »
Has anyone used a SET amp with an X3 or other spatial speaker? 

Dsaldivar

Re: SET amp
« Reply #1 on: 12 Feb 2020, 02:13 am »
If you allow me to chime in,
What about a tube integrated with the X3 or X5?
Thanks,
Dan

bbybaudio

« Reply #2 on: 12 Feb 2020, 02:47 pm »
I have the X5s and use a Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP integrated. This is the newer unit with the better capacitors in it. I switch between EL34s and the KT150s. Sound is spectacular! With the KT150s in, unit sounds more like the Audio Research 75SE, while EL34s provide more midrange magic and retain low end and sparkle. Speaking with Kevin Deal at Upscale Audio, he believes this integrated can easily drive most any speakers out there, let alone the high efficiency Spatials. I rarely get the volume turned up beyond 4 (out of 16). The Primaluna replaced Manley Snapper monos with a Cary SLP98 F1, fully modded and direct coupled. To me, and my wife, the Primaluna provides much better sound in all phases, bass, dynamics, mids, transparency. Cables are Audience AU24SE but recently swapped out to try Anticables.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #3 on: 12 Feb 2020, 03:59 pm »
On my X5s I have used a 2 watt 45 tube amp, a 3.5 watt 2A3 tube amp and a 75 watt CJ tube amp using KT120s, all sounding great.  Hard to believe, but the 45 tube amp is my favorite and drives the speakers to very loud in my 20 x 18 room.  I do have a pair of OB subs hooked up as well, but even without them the bass is good.

geerock

« Reply #4 on: 12 Feb 2020, 08:45 pm »
Clayton does the audio circuit with a Linear Tube Audio Z10 tube integrated.  Premium EL 84 tubes putting out 12 watts.  The newest Berning designed circuit and I've heard it with a couple different speakers, although not the x series.  Just a stunning experience from that amp.

bbybaudio

« Reply #5 on: 14 Feb 2020, 09:16 pm »
I wil say that the most holographic, 3-Dimensional you are in the room sound I have heard in my system was using Atma-sphere OTL amps and preamp. The design is likely different from the ZOTL, but still OTL. Biggest problem for me with the Atma-spheres was the heat coming off the monoblock amps. I would break into a sweat while listening. Nonetheless, amazing sound, so perhaps I should think about the LTA equipment.