Room Treatment for M3TM

zilch321

Room Treatment for M3TM
« on: 17 Jan 2020, 08:14 pm »
Good Afternoon, I'm wondering what folks have done here to treat their walls behind the M3TM. I had been just about to order some room treatment before I came into possession of a set of triode masters. Now I'm wondering if there are any special considerations I should be making given the nature of the TMs tweeter arrangement. Would most still threat their front wall just as they would with a typical box speaker?

I am a new user to the forum and unfortunately forum search is currently off limits to me. I appreciate any insight or other threads folks might be able to point me toward.

JackD

Re: Room Treatment for M3TM
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jan 2020, 02:41 am »
I used one of the large rectangle GIK Impression panels with the freestanding supports behind each speaker.

https://www.gikacoustics.com/product/impression-2inch-acoustic-panel-diffusor-absorber/

ric

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jan 2020, 02:48 pm »
Congrats! If you are carpentry handy I would suggest building a pair of DIY Shakti Hallowgraphs. I've had mine for many years and thought when I started using open baffle speakers that I wouldn't need them anymore--wrong! Using the hallowgraphs, for me, can make the difference between hearing the venue properly or hearing it more closed in.
If you are interested, let me know and I can send an AudioAsylum link or give you my thoughts on a simpler version using "wiggle molding" from Lowes.
Good luck!

TimS

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jan 2020, 06:18 pm »
Congrats! If you are carpentry handy I would suggest building a pair of DIY Shakti Hallowgraphs. I've had mine for many years and thought when I started using open baffle speakers that I wouldn't need them anymore--wrong! Using the hallowgraphs, for me, can make the difference between hearing the venue properly or hearing it more closed in.
If you are interested, let me know and I can send an AudioAsylum link or give you my thoughts on a simpler version using "wiggle molding" from Lowes.
Good luck!
Hi Ric

I'm interested in more information on the DIY Shakti Hallowgraphs.  Please provide the AA link - thanks

zilch321

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jan 2020, 01:06 am »
Thanks much for the input. I had been talking with GIK before the M3's dropped in my lap. I was concerned that going ahead with treatment behind the speakers might defeat part of the speaker design since the TM's have rear facing tweeters. It sounds like treatment is better than not and I should go ahead with my plans.

ric

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jan 2020, 03:58 pm »
Yeah, what's confusing for me is that the Spatial's are OB, AND have "controlled directivity", I think, meant to minimize room interference. So on the one hand they are "spatial" and on the other minimize that spatiality.
All I know is that I ended up upgrading the crossovers which really opened up the sound, but still I can hear soundstaging differences with the hallographs, that for me can make or break the performance sense.
    If these speakers are a keeper for you, I highly recommend upgrading the crossovers, good luck!

aniwolfe

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jan 2020, 04:28 pm »
Thanks much for the input. I had been talking with GIK before the M3's dropped in my lap. I was concerned that going ahead with treatment behind the speakers might defeat part of the speaker design since the TM's have rear facing tweeters. It sounds like treatment is better than not and I should go ahead with my plans.

Dipoles can benefit from a Diffuser. From what I understand they don't absorb the benefits of a Dipole. They are suppose to spread the sound in a more friendly way into the room.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #8 on: 20 Jan 2020, 09:14 pm »
My general rule is diffusion behind an OB and absorption to the sides.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #9 on: 21 Jan 2020, 04:54 pm »
I would agree with Tyson on the diffusion behind in most cases - unless you are restricted in the space behind them and it causes frequency response issues.  OBs should have a null directly to their sides.  Side wall reflections somewhat depend on the situation and your preferences in terms of absorption vs. diffusion.

HanaEyes

« Reply #10 on: 22 Jan 2020, 04:47 am »
Diffusers behind my m4tm works great, not so much when I had bass traps/absorption foam. behind. Pretty much removed most of the foam in my room after getting the open baffles.

jazzman463

« Reply #11 on: 22 Jan 2020, 01:37 pm »
In a small room ..13 x 12  bass trapping is a necessity. Just added a pair of GIK 's  and the sound of the M 5 's cleaned right up.  Now hearing all voice inflections and instrument nuances to a much greater extent. The imaging is now extending to the outside of the speakers ,and moving forward with a well defined holographic picture. The combination of the Traps and break in ( about 150 hrs ) has pushed the M 5's into a very special sounding speaker, particularly in small rooms.

HanaEyes

« Reply #12 on: 23 Jan 2020, 10:35 am »
Not really, my room is only 10x11, but there's no boom or bloat at all in the bass region. I've even added a rel t7 sub to fill the lower octaves. Last time when I had bookshelves or floorstands, there's always bass boom and I needed bass traps. But with these open baffles, adding traps for me sucked out the mid energy and I sold them off already.

Tweed

« Reply #13 on: 4 Oct 2021, 01:05 pm »
Good luck!

Hello, new here. I just purchased a pair of M3TM for use with a Primaluna tube amp.

I've always found the Hallowgraphs to be intriguing, but have not heard them. I would be grateful to hear about the wiggle molding version, thanks!

ric

« Reply #14 on: 5 Oct 2021, 03:42 pm »

About the wiggle mold version. Since I have not replaced (changed places with) the non-wiggle mold version that I have, I can't say one is better than the other. What i can say is that the wiggle mold version does work and I built two pair and tried them in different spots in my room and they are now a fixture in my room. Height makes a difference and they seem to be most effective at at least ear height. I am using one on the front wall near a window and one larger one on a side wall where there is a free standing fireplace and tile to diffuse that. The third, I am using between the speakers--at first I tried two there and it was too much but one seems to work fine--you just have to experiment with your room.
   The original DIY's that I have are on lazy susans right behing the speakers as I can pivot them in/out/straight--that has not changed for a few years. Sometimes let's say a chamber music recording sounds bad as far as instrument placement goes. Adjusting the Hallowgraphs will change the soundstage and help ameliorate any recording related problems. It will not change a bad recording to good, but to my ears they work!