M3 Sapphires Compared to M3TM (early impressions)

Shakeydeal

Re: M3 Sapphires Compared to M3TM (early impressions)
« Reply #20 on: 21 Nov 2019, 02:04 pm »
I am not surprised at all that any Spatial speaker would be an upgrade over Vandersteen 2cs. I know they have a huge fan base but they are easily bested IMHO. They don't really do anything wrong and are easy to listen to, but lack dynamics and swing. They have never got my toes tappin.

Congrats on your purchase. I think you will be very happy.

Shakey

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #21 on: 22 Nov 2019, 07:10 pm »
I ordered the Sepele and asked Clayton to darken them up too. Yours look gorgeous snowpuppy. When I asked Clayton about speaker cables he mentioned Dueland as that’s what the drivers are wired with. Any thoughts or recommendations?

SnowPuppy77

« Reply #22 on: 22 Nov 2019, 07:29 pm »
I ordered the Sepele and asked Clayton to darken them up too. Yours look gorgeous snowpuppy. When I asked Clayton about speaker cables he mentioned Dueland as that’s what the drivers are wired with. Any thoughts or recommendations?

My Dad has the Kimber 8TC for his Magnepan 3.7i and he likes them.  I have the cheaper Kimber 8PR because I have a very long speaker cable run.  My Kimber 8PR is very well built and sounds as good as the Tara Labs biwire cables they replaced so they are good.  That said you can't go wrong with Clayton's recommendation.  Not sure what the M3 Sapphire driver wire is exactly but I know it is Dueland.  Perhaps Dueland tone wire.

By the way I am glad Clayton does not use biwire hook ups personally.  Biwire just ends up costing twice as much with twice the cable and I believe it is better to spend that extra money on a significantly better quality single wire cable.

Shakeydeal

« Reply #23 on: 22 Nov 2019, 07:47 pm »
Since Clayton usually shows with Anti-Cables, I'm surprised he didn't recommend Paul's speaker cables.

SnowPuppy77

« Reply #24 on: 22 Nov 2019, 08:17 pm »
Since Clayton usually shows with Anti-Cables, I'm surprised he didn't recommend Paul's speaker cables.
He mentioned Anticable to me one time and my Dad when we asked and I know he likes them.  Perhaps with Deuland speaker cables there is some synergy with the internal speaker wiring.  That said the extremely positive response the M3 Sapphire system got at CAF is a very strong endorsement Anticables (and the rest of the components).  They certainly let that system shine.  I personally have Anticable on my shortlist for future upgrades.

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #25 on: 22 Nov 2019, 08:49 pm »
Snow puppy, Did you set a darker shade of Sepele? I thought I remember seeing pics of those.

SnowPuppy77

« Reply #26 on: 22 Nov 2019, 09:04 pm »
Snow puppy, Did you set a darker shade of Sepele? I thought I remember seeing pics of those.
Yes I have a little darker shade of the Sapele.  The M5 Sapphire Introduction thread has pics of mine that I posted.  Looking at the CAF pics the regular Sapele finish looks similar but Clayton told me the light in that room was dark.  I am convinced that the Sapele will look great finished natural or a little darker due to the natural beauty of the grain.  I think the walnut looks great too.  Really like what Clayton is doing for those who like wood veneers on their speakers.  He is not necessarily going after the exotic levels of finish we see on Salk speakers but still very tasteful IMO.

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #27 on: 22 Nov 2019, 09:33 pm »
Cool yes that is what I asked Clayton for. Yours look lighter than what is posted on the website. Maybe Photoshop :D
I agree seeing them in the pics at CAF they look rich and luxurious. I am so excited!!

James Edward

« Reply #28 on: 22 Nov 2019, 10:12 pm »
FWIW, I have been using AntiCable speaker wire to great effect. I started using it because I have a long (24 ft) run, and most other cables are prohibitively expensive. I stayed with it because it sounds damn good. I am referring to the 12 ga. solid core 2.1 wire they sell. I have the M3 Turbo S.

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #29 on: 22 Nov 2019, 10:25 pm »
Thanks James I will check them out. I need about an 8ft pair and will be replacing my Audioquests

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #30 on: 22 Nov 2019, 10:58 pm »
Thanks James I will check them out. I need about an 8ft pair and will be replacing my Audioquests

I would check out the Anticable 3.1's if you can. I started with 2.1's, which blew me away compare to some much more costly cables. I then upgraded to the 3.1 and my jaw dropped again. Just much more bass, bass detail and more meat on the midrange. I then read about the "Schroeder" method for cables and had Paul from Anticables build me a pair of custom "4.1" cables which are essentially a double run of 3.1's. I've been using them for a month and I doubt I'll ever replace my speaker cables again. Even my wife, who has good hearing but is by no means an audiophile, immediately said the Anticables sounded better than my old cables, and that was the 2.1's. I don't think she knows I upgraded to 4.1, but the other day she was sitting next to me listening to some music and at one point she looked over with a big smile and said "this sounds amazing!"

I will say I haven't used Dueland speaker cables but I am using them for interconnects and I did play around with some Western Electric 10ga tinned copper stranded cloth cable which some say sounds similar. I liked it but it was totally different sounding than the Anticable. The WE was very smooth sounding but a bit dull to me. One good thing is I could turn up the volume without strain, but I almost felt like I had to turn up the volume to get the sound to come alive. With the Anticables the soundstage is HUGE and the dynamics are life-like even at moderate volumes, and vocals are crystal clear, goose-bump inducing, without any harshness.

SnowPuppy77

« Reply #31 on: 22 Nov 2019, 11:25 pm »
Thank you for these posts.  Yep, Anticables definitely staying on my short list.

rich2ch

« Reply #32 on: 23 Nov 2019, 02:25 am »
How are the new M3 Sapphires for nearfield listening, say 6-8 feet away?

Thanks,

Rich

SnowPuppy77

« Reply #33 on: 23 Nov 2019, 02:43 am »
How are the new M3 Sapphires for nearfield listening, say 6-8 feet away?

Thanks,

Rich

Interesting you ask because I experimented with that after work.  I leaned in from my listening couch on some Monteverdi vocal music which had singers spread across the stage.  Sounded good enough for me to want to try it some more this weekend.  Imaging seemed to improved.  I do have a wall about 2 feet behind my head  when sitting normally on the couch that I should probably treat for reflections.  Here is pic of room:

Shakeydeal

« Reply #34 on: 23 Nov 2019, 10:59 am »
Do you have a pic of your near field position?

SnowPuppy77

« Reply #35 on: 25 Nov 2019, 06:44 pm »
Do you have a pic of your near field position?

I just lean up with my head over the center of the coffee table.  Gets me to about 6' from speakers.  Not sure if that is near field.

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #36 on: 25 Nov 2019, 07:18 pm »
Snowpuppy, your M3’s look amazing! Love the darker shade of Sepele. What is the rest of your system compromised of?

SnowPuppy77

« Reply #37 on: 25 Nov 2019, 07:42 pm »
Snowpuppy, your M3’s look amazing! Love the darker shade of Sepele. What is the rest of your system compromised of?

System:
PS Audio Dectet power conditioner
Pro-ject The Classic turntable with Clear Audio Ebony Performer V2 cartridge and Pangea phono cable
Schiit Mani Phono preamp with Swagman Labs power supply
Cambridge Audio CXC transport with Transparent coax digital cable
Schiit Yggrasil (Analog 2)
Schiit Ragnarok integrated amp
DHLabs Air Matrix balanced interconnects
Kimber 8PR speaker cables

Shakeydeal

« Reply #38 on: 25 Nov 2019, 07:51 pm »
Nice setup you have there.

Shakey

aniwolfe

« Reply #39 on: 25 Nov 2019, 07:52 pm »

Screw the nice finish! I think the biggest issue is that, Snowpuppy is drinking Water when listening to his TM's and Milk & Cookies with his Sapphires. I thought that Spatial speakers were made to be listened to with a nice glass of Pinot Noir?  :nono: