Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

Fernando

• fernando _at_ -34.899705, -56.158880
Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #2440 on: 19 Sep 2018, 09:58 pm »
If the content is identical then there should be no reason to scrape additional content as the scraped data is relevant to the tag data.  So if you plug in one drive with Leonard Cohen the BDP will scrape the relevant data for Leonard Cohen.  If you plug in more drives with Leonard Cohen it won't add any additional data unless the new drives contain additional Leonard Cohen albums that the original drive didn't contain.  The BDP will also check for new data if the existing cached data exceeds an age of 4 days.

Also for measuring current consumption by USB devices I keep one of these around the office and at home, there reasonably accurate, accurate enough anyways.

https://www.amazon.ca/DROK-Digital-Multimeter-Voltmeter-Capacitance/dp/B00J3JSEG6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1537376784&sr=8-3&keywords=usb+current+meter

Chris

good to know, certainly.

if "scraped data is relevant to the tag data." - then if I edit and modify a Tag, it should scrape for more or for less data. I mean: if Tag contains "Leonard Cohen", it generates less scraping than a Tag containing "Leonard Cohen Herbie Hancock" - just a guess.

I'm happy 32GB solved this. Space Used stays at 2%  :D -

first, I will check the MyPassport when plugged to the BDP - I like that meter, shall search in the neighbourhood anyway.

Thank you, Chris.

now I feel an urge to listen Patricia Barber singing Summertime, at 24 192 ! -

Fernando.-

Rod_S

« Reply #2441 on: 20 Sep 2018, 01:08 pm »
I have a couple .wav albums, any idea why these get classified as Various with each individual song showing up as it's own separate album? I've confirmed the tag data is correct and it's common AlbumArtist and Album information for each album so the albums should be grouping the songs together in the browser but that's not happening.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2442 on: 20 Sep 2018, 02:57 pm »
I have a couple .wav albums, any idea why these get classified as Various with each individual song showing up as it's own separate album? I've confirmed the tag data is correct and it's common AlbumArtist and Album information for each album so the albums should be grouping the songs together in the browser but that's not happening.

Hi Rod,

Is the tag data being read by the BDP's firmware?  If you play the track does it show the tag data or the file name?  WAV data can be quite hit or miss due to its lack of any official support

Chris

Rod_S

« Reply #2443 on: 20 Sep 2018, 03:53 pm »
It just shows the file name. Should I convert the .wav files to .flac? Would that fix the issue?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2444 on: 20 Sep 2018, 04:29 pm »
It just shows the file name. Should I convert the .wav files to .flac? Would that fix the issue?

Likely it will

Rod_S

« Reply #2445 on: 20 Sep 2018, 04:52 pm »
Yep it did, thanks

Krutsch

« Reply #2446 on: 24 Sep 2018, 01:44 pm »
Is this still broken?  If so could you place the bdp into service mode and email me the service id?

Chris

Done.

Service ID: 142

Krutsch

« Reply #2447 on: 15 Jan 2019, 04:29 am »
S2.38 2019-01-10
Build: Manic Moose
MPD: 0.19.21 NEWS
Kernel: 3.16-0.bpo.2-486

I updated to the latest BETA. I am unable to save *any* of my Settings from the Media Player.

For example, I was trying to re-enable the Bryston DB (I've had it off for awhile, using Soundirok).

Clicking on the SAVE button appears to do nothing.

FYI...

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2448 on: 15 Jan 2019, 04:53 pm »
S2.38 2019-01-10

I updated to the latest BETA. I am unable to save *any* of my Settings from the Media Player.

For example, I was trying to re-enable the Bryston DB (I've had it off for awhile, using Soundirok).

Clicking on the SAVE button appears to do nothing.

FYI...

Thanks, this should be fixed in the next update

Chris

Krutsch

« Reply #2449 on: 4 Sep 2019, 10:36 pm »
Reliably playing back 192/24-bit audio files with the BDP-1.

With recent releases of Manic Moose:

S2.40 2019-08-08

I am unable to playback 192/24 files without stuttering at the start of the song. I have both disabled thumbnail optimization, and left on on (default), and I've disabled all of the Bryston scraper stuff.

What I observe is this: at the start of a track, the album art in the MEDIA player view sort-of flashes - twice - like it's loading and then re-loading album art. I have some large tracks from the Grateful Dead that are 192/24 and (relatively) long, so the files are large. This occurs at the start of an album or if I skip forward or skip ahead to a random track - same observed symptom. This seems to be an issue only with these large files - with Redbook or 96/24 files, playback is as smooth as it always was.

For storage, I am using a Samsung EVO SSD, in an external enclosure and connected via USB 2.0 (back, lower port) which benches at 14.8 MB/sec, using the Manic Moose bench test.

FWIW, if I am not using the Manic Moose UI (no web UI) and use Soundirok as the control app (i.e. pure MPD playback), the stuttering does not occur.

I can't recall when I started seeing this issue, but it's been a while.

Just an FYI, I suppose... maybe it's time for me to sunset the BDP-1, but this has not been a problem in the past with 192/24 files.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2450 on: 5 Sep 2019, 01:09 pm »
Hi Ken,

I'll try to find some time to look into this, i personally don't really listen to any thing above 96khz 24bit and likely why I haven't noticed it on my BDP-1.

Chris

Calypte

« Reply #2451 on: 5 Sep 2019, 05:14 pm »
I have the BDP-pi with MM 2.36.  A rare oddity with this equipment is that sometimes during the very first play of a file I've downloaded or ripped, the music will suddenly drop out for several seconds early in the music (this is usually classical music), and then audio will resume as though nothing happened.  It's non-repeatable.  This never happens with future plays of the music, and it doesn't even occur every time with a new file.  But I've learned to rather expect it when playing something the first time, and I feel grateful if it doesn't happen.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #2452 on: 6 Sep 2019, 09:55 am »
Calypte,

the same goes for the BDP-3. i would say that these dropouts happen if the player (and therefore the connected hard disk drive) is not in use for a while. maybe the songs have to be completely ''loaded'' again??

al.

gbaby

« Reply #2453 on: 9 Sep 2019, 06:46 pm »
Calypte,

the same goes for the BDP-3. i would say that these dropouts happen if the player (and therefore the connected hard disk drive) is not in use for a while. maybe the songs have to be completely ''loaded'' again??

al.

My dropout problems ended when I stopped using iTunes as an importer. I now us dbpoweramp and it was the best purchase I could have made. No more dropouts.  8)

Calypte

« Reply #2454 on: 9 Sep 2019, 09:40 pm »
I don't use iTunes.  Except that it exists, I know nothing about it.  Last night I had a dropout occur during the second play of a new download.  Also, I don't think recency of play has any relevance to these dropouts.

gbaby

« Reply #2455 on: 10 Sep 2019, 05:00 pm »
I don't use iTunes.  Except that it exists, I know nothing about it.  Last night I had a dropout occur during the second play of a new download.  Also, I don't think recency of play has any relevance to these dropouts.

What program are you using to import or rip music?

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #2456 on: 10 Sep 2019, 09:12 pm »
My dropout problems ended when I stopped using iTunes as an importer. I now us dbpoweramp and it was the best purchase I could have made. No more dropouts.  8)

I checked out dB online, and it does look impressive, the complete package (incl video ripping software, for DVDs etc). I haven't experienced any dropouts in my system, when using XLD (Mac) to rip my discs/convert Flac. So, for now, I am going to stick with XLD. But I admit, the pricing for the complete dB package is quite reasonable! Tempted, but 100 bucks buys me quite a bit of downloads.... :roll:

Calypte

« Reply #2457 on: 11 Sep 2019, 05:27 am »
What program are you using to import or rip music?

I download music from Presto Classical and HD Tracks, occasionally from Amazon (MP3).  Most of my rips have been with Foobar 2000, but sometimes I use Exact Audio Copy, which can rip almost anything.  Foobar 2000 sometimes trips on certain tracks, but it's faster than EAC.

gbaby

« Reply #2458 on: 11 Sep 2019, 03:53 pm »
I checked out dB online, and it does look impressive, the complete package (incl video ripping software, for DVDs etc). I haven't experienced any dropouts in my system, when using XLD (Mac) to rip my discs/convert Flac. So, for now, I am going to stick with XLD. But I admit, the pricing for the complete dB package is quite reasonable! Tempted, but 100 bucks buys me quite a bit of downloads.... :roll:

I was so impressed with dbpoweramp, that I purchased the complete package, and I did not know it contained software for ripping DVDs. I'll have to revisit it as I am trying to make a DVD of a wedding and put some of my music collection on it. I tried to do it with my MacBook Pro, but it would not let me put the music on it as it was copyright protected. :oops:

gbaby

« Reply #2459 on: 11 Sep 2019, 03:56 pm »
...Tempted, but 100 bucks buys me quite a bit of downloads.... :roll:

I have found that I'd rather purchase the CD and rip it myself as it sounds better that a download in my opinion.