Odyssey Lorelei vs Salk Song Tower

jcoat007

Odyssey Lorelei vs Salk Song Tower
« on: 5 Nov 2009, 06:21 pm »
I currently have the Lorelei's and have had them for a few years.  I just recently moved from a big house with a big room for them, to a small house with a much smaller room.  Because of my limited space and the rear porting, I don't have enough room to let them breath properly.  The room interaction in the lower register is a bit excessive. 

Has anyone compared the Salk Song Towers to the Lorelei's?  I don't have a lot of room, so the small footprint is necessary and I am thinking that the transmission line might be good for a not-so-ideal room setup. 

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. 

jcoat007

Re: Odyssey Lorelei vs Salk Song Tower
« Reply #1 on: 5 Nov 2009, 06:41 pm »
Hey Marbles,

No can do on the monitors.  Stand mounts are out with my family in play.  No dedicated room like I used to have.   :cry:

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #2 on: 5 Nov 2009, 06:42 pm »
I haven't heard the Loreleis but have the SongTower with the ribbon tweeter. I've very happy with the speakers but suggest you visit the Salk Circle to see if someone in your area can offer demo. Jim Salk is more than happy to facilitate with helping you find someone. A demo will give you a chance to make your own assessment rather than relying on someone else listening experience.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 5 Nov 2009, 06:48 pm »
If you are having bass boom due to room interactions, then getting another ported speaker will not fix your problem (and TL's are a port, just a special kind of port).

I'd recommend plugging the ports to tame the boom.  It will allow more flexible placement options.  If you need more bass than the plugged speakers give, then a sub would be my next rec, specifically a Rythmik or a VMPS sub.

Pez

« Reply #4 on: 5 Nov 2009, 07:02 pm »
Buying a speaker to alleviate room problems is bad policy IMO. I agree with Tyson, stuff some foam in the ports and maybe put some treatment behind the speakers.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #5 on: 5 Nov 2009, 07:16 pm »
I have 4 Lorelei's in a 11' x 17' x 7' room and have no issues whatsoever. My main Lorelei's are 24" from the side walls and 52" from the front wall,, my rear Lorelei's hug the corners.  I have also heard the Songtowers and I don't see them producing the bass that the Lorelei can. I also don't see them imaging as well as the Lorelei. The Lorelei's require minimal toe-in for a solid imaging sound stage. I do feel you'll get a cleaner more accurate sound with the Songtower. As much as I enjoy what the Songtower and especially the HT3 (which I REALLY like) do, I love the way the Lorelei draws me into it's imaging soundstage. I will admit tho that I cut my Lorelei's off at 80hz and supplement the bass with an ACI Force XL. I find the midrange has even more definition & dynamics by doing this, it's not being done as an enhanced bass issue really.

If you're looking for a more accurate loudspeaker that has the bass of the Lorelei, I'd suggest looking at the supplementing the Songtower with a sub (or 2). Better yet if your budget can be expanded, maybe the HT2-TL would be a major stepup, I've never heard them so i can't say.

Defintely see (thru Jim Salk) if their's someone locally that will allow you to demo the Salk Songtowers, in your room if possible, head to head with the Lorelei and hear for yourself which loudspeaker pushes your buttons. It's really the only way to know for sure what you'll be happy with long term.

Cheers,
Robin

jcoat007

« Reply #6 on: 5 Nov 2009, 07:36 pm »
I can roll off my mains no problem and I do have a Zu Method sub that I might be able to squeeze into the space.  Good suggestion!!!!