ARC appears to be in trouble ........

twitch54

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: ARC appears to be in trouble ........
« Reply #1 on: 29 Apr 2023, 08:45 pm »
I think all of the tube audio vendors must be having some problems by now.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
Re: ARC appears to be in trouble
« Reply #2 on: 29 Apr 2023, 09:19 pm »
I am surprised that ARC did not benefit from the huge increase in sales that many of us did durning the virus stay at home couple of years.

Our increase in sales financed development of several new products, circuits, chassis and all.

Frank

jpm

Re: ARC appears to be in trouble
« Reply #3 on: 29 Apr 2023, 09:33 pm »
I am surprised that ARC did not benefit from the huge increase in sales that many of us did durning the virus stay at home couple of years.

Our increase in sales financed development of several new products, circuits, chassis and all.

That's your commitment to the business and to your craft. Other owners might choose to buy a new yacht!

whydontumarryit

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 29 Apr 2023, 09:58 pm »
This from Aug. 2020

AUDIO RESEARCH CORPORATION UNDER NEW OWNERSHIP

‘TWS Enterprises, LLC, a privately held company owned wholly by Trent Suggs, has agreed to purchase Audio Research from the McIntosh Group, Inc. subject to completion of due diligence which is expected to be finalized by the end of August.’

ARC could have been selling units in the single digits/month for the last 20 yrs. for all we know. A small player in the industry with a name worth more than the company itself. Not charging enough and doing no marketing can't be overcome for very long. Not to mention this business is cut-throat these days.

Wayner

« Reply #5 on: 30 Apr 2023, 11:35 am »
I'm sure that ARC had a manufacturing/office facility, employees that were paid a nice salary with benefits and retirement, plus all of the other expenses that affected their production (parts availability, price increases) and a shrinking demand for their product due to the cost of their high end equipment, which further reduced their customer base. The Titanic sank because it could not maneuver around the iceberg, whereas a small crafts could easily maneuver around it.

Add to that a workforce that has become unwilling to work (or do not know haw to work) and the rising costs due to inflation, have caused many employees to migrate to greener pastures.

As America slips into a 2 class society (rich and poor, no middle class), the dominos of the past will start to tumble. I believe the show will start this summer as banks (like SVB) start to fail. Raising interest rates on home mortgages have broken that industry, so I suspect other industries will follow suit.

Bingenito

« Reply #6 on: 30 Apr 2023, 12:42 pm »
Sadly above is correct. The economic symptoms are now being observed but the issue has not even exposed itself yet. Audio companies are the very least of your problems.

Mike B.

« Reply #7 on: 30 Apr 2023, 03:23 pm »
I bought a complete ARC setup back in the 1970's. Magnaplaner B, D76, SP3. The D76 and SP3 went through upgrades to new models. I now own a Reference 75 amp. The company has always been a rock in terms of service and answering questions. I hope they survive.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #8 on: 30 Apr 2023, 04:25 pm »
You can tell when a brand is in trouble when you look at the big show reports and there isn't even a tiny bit of coverage about them. I saw no mention of ARC from any of the Axpona 2023 sites I followed.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #9 on: 30 Apr 2023, 05:18 pm »
   IMHO more to come. We had a booming economy 3 years ago.

charles

twitch54

« Reply #10 on: 30 Apr 2023, 06:52 pm »

charles

actually three years ago we had a world economy on the brink of shutting down !

Bingenito

« Reply #11 on: 30 Apr 2023, 07:44 pm »
Audio sales were up due to everyone spending more time at home. Prices skyrocketed regardless if it was speakers, dacs or eggs. What goes up must….

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #12 on: 1 May 2023, 12:37 pm »
actually three years ago we had a world economy on the brink of shutting down !

charles

The world economy is always booming or on the verge of collapse, depending on who you listen to.  :?

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #13 on: 8 May 2023, 12:44 am »
According to that What's Best thread a new owner for ARC may be coming up shortly.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #14 on: 8 May 2023, 01:21 am »
They need to make some lower end more affordable gear so people can get their foot in the door and want to upgrade to some of their more costly gear.  How about some amps, preamps and DAC's in the $2500 to $3500 range.  I like the sound of some of their gear but I can't stand the rack look.  Time to do something new.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #15 on: 8 May 2023, 02:29 am »
They need to make some lower end more affordable gear so people can get their foot in the door and want to upgrade to some of their more costly gear.  How about some amps, preamps and DAC's in the $2500 to $3500 range.  I like the sound of some of their gear but I can't stand the rack look.  Time to do something new.
+1. 
In the AR price range they have strong competition from the big McIntosch group and various small boutique US builders, not to mention many Euro tube manufactures and Solid State top amps from Asia and EU as ASR Emitter, Luxman, Accuphase to say few.

The AR amps always were expensive for what they offer, no Hard-Wiring only PCBs, needs highly matched tubes sold only by AR at premium prices, only PP no SE amps, but AR was selling well in the US for many years due to the patriotism of its fellow audiophiles.

TomS

« Reply #16 on: 8 May 2023, 10:55 am »
The I/50 integrated is exactly that, and it seemed to be a smash hit before things went South. Very cool piece  :thumb:
https://audioresearch.com/i50/

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #17 on: 8 May 2023, 11:07 am »
"The world economy is always booming or on the verge of collapse, depending on who you listen to."

+1

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #18 on: 8 May 2023, 03:00 pm »
The I/50 integrated is exactly that, and it seemed to be a smash hit before things went South. Very cool piece  :thumb:
https://audioresearch.com/i50/

The I/50 integrated sells for $5500 not $3K.  $4K to $5K is still out of range for a lot of people.  I like Parasounds model of business.  They have some inexpensive gear for people to get their foot in the door.  And then they have their JC monoblocks for $16K and some excellent sounding phono preamps.

jpm

« Reply #19 on: 8 May 2023, 05:58 pm »
I like the sound of some of their gear but I can't stand the rack look.  Time to do something new.

Agreed. I've never heard their gear but the look is very dated to me and not in an iconic way.