Best of RMAF

Wind Chaser

Re: Best of RMAF
« Reply #20 on: 18 Oct 2010, 04:07 am »

That's what I would expect a "local yokel" to say.  :rotflmao:

Yeah,,,, I'm just jeolous cuz i can't afford to go to one of them high falutin audio shows.  :slap:

That wouldn't be a problem if you curtailed spending habit on new music.  Instead of buying +20 CDs a month, buy 10 instead.  Surely you must have more than a few thousand by now. :!:

Pez

« Reply #21 on: 18 Oct 2010, 04:09 am »
Sorry Pez, Guess we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one! 
I don't agree to that.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #22 on: 18 Oct 2010, 04:31 am »
Ha - now I'm doubting whether those mushrooms were really that good at Shanahan's or was it Chateau du Woodsyi thinking for me :lol:

Drinking at altitude is one freeky ride :thumb:

Chairdude

Dude, those mushrooms were phenomenal!!

groovybassist

« Reply #23 on: 18 Oct 2010, 04:33 am »
Sorry Pez - don't smoke.  Just calling it as I see it.  I wasn't expecting every room to sound great, or even every room to sound good.  If I was a mfg., I'd be working very hard to have my room sounding it's best from the get-go.  I'd rather have my room closed for a bit longer than some others, than have people's experience of the sound be negative, especially with the power of internet forums like this one.  I think vinyl_lady hit on it - booming bass, shrill highs and too loud.  This is the way I felt about many rooms.  I don't think this does proper service to the mfg., or potential consumers.  Perhaps my expectations are a bit high, but that beats the alternative - travel to a show at significant expense, expecting to hear bad or mediocre sound.

Tyson

« Reply #24 on: 18 Oct 2010, 04:34 am »
Seems like early on there were a lot of favorable responses, people saying stuff like 'best show yet' (more or less) and now these reports that are less than favorable. What's up? Believe me, I'm not trying to sound snotty from 2K miles from the action. But were people originally encouraged then dissapointed after further review?

What about rooms specifically from 'our' guys like GR, Virtue, Odyssey, etc?

This WAS the best show yet.  I ALWAYS insist on sitting in the sweet spot in EVERY room.  The rooms are set up to sound good in this one chair, and they almost always do sound good there.  If you did not sit in the sweet spot, you opinion is invalid and you are an idiot.

groovybassist

« Reply #25 on: 18 Oct 2010, 04:37 am »
I sat in the sweet spot as often as was possible/practical, recognizing the sweet spot is not always the middle chair in the first row.  In either case, I don't consider my opinions invalid, nor do I consider myself an idiot.

Tyson

« Reply #26 on: 18 Oct 2010, 05:12 am »
I agree, both of those are true statements.

Pez

« Reply #27 on: 18 Oct 2010, 05:18 am »
Just FYI Tyson is drunk.

Sorry Pez - don't smoke.  Just calling it as I see it.  I wasn't expecting every room to sound great, or even every room to sound good.  If I was a mfg., I'd be working very hard to have my room sounding it's best from the get-go.  I'd rather have my room closed for a bit longer than some others, than have people's experience of the sound be negative, especially with the power of internet forums like this one.  I think vinyl_lady hit on it - booming bass, shrill highs and too loud.  This is the way I felt about many rooms.  I don't think this does proper service to the mfg., or potential consumers.  Perhaps my expectations are a bit high, but that beats the alternative - travel to a show at significant expense, expecting to hear bad or mediocre sound.

I don't know. I think basing your opinion on the fact that there was a little boom and sizzle is pretty dismissive of the reality that is a trade show like this. Every single manufacturer is put in a shitty little room or a shitty big room with shitty hotel grid power that every other shitty room is running on and then must get a plethora of very complicated and sometimes finicky equipment to produce decent sound. I have seen many manufacturers scrambling well into Saturday evening to get things to sound better. To say that "If I was a mfg., I'd be working very hard to have my room sounding it's best from the get-go." is statement devoid of any knowledge that this IS what 99% of the manufacturers are doing all day, every day at the show. Do you really think that these guys fly in from all over the united states and, hell, the world for this show just to set up a bad sounding system to piss you off and let you down? Your expectations aren't too high, your understanding of what they go through to do this is too low.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #28 on: 18 Oct 2010, 05:41 am »
Every single manufacturer is put in a shitty little room or a shitty big room...

What is it about these rooms that makes them so shitty?

Pez

« Reply #29 on: 18 Oct 2010, 05:50 am »
Poor acoustics unfriendly dimensions, the fact that the guy to the right, left, across, above, and below you are also blasting music, huge windows, over burdened power grid, 108 voltage coming out of the outlets, pictures bolted to the wall, loud air conditioners... Need I go on?

Mariusz

« Reply #30 on: 18 Oct 2010, 05:55 am »
Poor acoustics unfriendly dimensions, the fact that the guy to the right, left, across, above, and below you are also blasting music, huge windows, over burdened power grid, 108 voltage coming out of the outlets, pictures bolted to the wall, loud air conditioners... Need I go on?

It sounds like my room with few drunk friends over..... :scratch:

Pez

« Reply #31 on: 18 Oct 2010, 06:03 am »
Hmmmm actually it is a lot like that, including the drunken shouting and rants.  :lol:

Mariusz

« Reply #32 on: 18 Oct 2010, 06:08 am »
Hmmmm actually it is a lot like that, including the drunken shouting and rants.  :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wish I was there with you guys  :cry:

Pez

« Reply #33 on: 18 Oct 2010, 06:13 am »
There's always next year! :beer: :beer:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #34 on: 18 Oct 2010, 06:15 am »

I can work with the poor acoustics unfriendly dimensions; most of us have no choice in that matter as the average home isn't built with the perfect audio room in mind.  However I can understand how the ambient noise coming from all the surrounding rooms would be a severe problem along with the tax on the power grid.

Mariusz

« Reply #35 on: 18 Oct 2010, 06:18 am »
I really need to do RMAF....... it sounds like so much fun.
As far as synergy goes, I need more rebellious crowd and high tolerance for alcohol.
 :lol: :lol: :lol: :beer: :guitar: :rock: :dance: :wine: :jester: :no_see: :no_hear: :no_speak: :singing:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #36 on: 18 Oct 2010, 06:33 am »
Well, Legacy WAS at the show last year and had some of the best sound there.  Both the Whisper and the Helix models.

Greg

Naim was also at the show last year...2009...I was in their room. :thumb:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #37 on: 18 Oct 2010, 06:34 am »
I reading comments about ....too loud....so....how loud is too loud ? :scratch:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #38 on: 18 Oct 2010, 06:45 am »
That wouldn't be a problem if you curtailed spending habit on new music.  Instead of buying +20 CDs a month, buy 10 instead.  Surely you must have more than a few thousand by now. :!:

Actually I think I'd rather have a lifetime of music than just 1 weekend of hotel rooms. And for what it's worth Windchaser, I don't buy CD's, I download my music. But thanks for trying to be helpful,,, if you were really actually trying to that is.

Cheers,
Robin

Wind Chaser

« Reply #39 on: 18 Oct 2010, 07:03 am »
I get your point on having a lifetime supply of music.  I just assumed that you were already at that point (or even past that stage) and that acquiring more music was your number one expense based on the WAYLTN thread.