Is there a cheaper alternative to the VRX•1 Cable Pair?

Larkston Zinaspic

I would not by any means expect Dusty to endorse a product that he does not use, but I was wondering if the cable design of the VRX•1 would be the same as a set of these:

http://www.speakerrepair.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=37-364&Category_Code=

It may be that the VRX•1 is completely different, but I'm just curious to know. :scratch:

CIAudio

Re: Is there a cheaper alternative to the VRX•1 Cable Pair?
« Reply #1 on: 5 Nov 2007, 10:16 pm »
I would not by any means expect Dusty to endorse a product that he does not use, but I was wondering if the cable design of the VRX•1 would be the same as a set of these:

http://www.speakerrepair.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=37-364&Category_Code=

It may be that the VRX•1 is completely different, but I'm just curious to know.

Your link has a cable wired differently than VRX•1 and will not work with VDA•2 for balanced output. The cable needs to have one RCA connected to pins 2 & 1 (plus phase), the other RCA connected to pins 3 & 1 (minus phase).

ua100k

• Industry Participant
    • Merrill Audio
« Reply #2 on: 6 Dec 2010, 09:06 am »
Dusty,

On the CIaudio VDA-2, does is the left or right RCA outputs designated as in or out of phase? Or is this only with respect to each other?

Thanks.

CIAudio

« Reply #3 on: 6 Dec 2010, 03:00 pm »
I'm sure what your question is...

VDA-2 has a pair of 0 phase outputs, and a pair of 180 outputs.
When used with VRX-1, you have a true balanced output.

ua100k

• Industry Participant
    • Merrill Audio
« Reply #4 on: 6 Dec 2010, 03:16 pm »
Well I was wondering if either of the pairs were designated 0degress or 180 degress, so when using RCA only it would be better to use the 0 degrees, i.e. no phase shift and on the xlr maybe the left RCA pair would go to pint 2 and the right to pin 3.

My guess is this would not matter, however on the Mark Levinson's DAC, it allows for that on the XLR outputs. I have not experienced any difference in sound when switching between the 2.

Thanks.

CIAudio

« Reply #5 on: 6 Dec 2010, 03:45 pm »
The output pairs are designated as 0 & 180. If your electronics do not invert phase, use the 0 outputs for single-ended.

For balanced, the 0 output is connected to pin 2 of the XLR, 180 output to pin 3, and ground to pin 1. On VRX-1, there is also a shield connected at the XLR shell.

jk@home

« Reply #6 on: 30 Sep 2018, 01:20 pm »
The output pairs are designated as 0 & 180. If your electronics do not invert phase, use the 0 outputs for single-ended.

For balanced, the 0 output is connected to pin 2 of the XLR, 180 output to pin 3, and ground to pin 1. On VRX-1, there is also a shield connected at the XLR shell.

I'm picking up a preamp that is said to be fully balanced and would like to try a diy version of this cable, to experiment. Do you use a coaxial or twisted pair for this? At first glance I would think the former, and add a jumper from pin #1 to the shell tie-in? Thanks.

CIAudio

« Reply #7 on: 30 Sep 2018, 03:09 pm »
Each phase uses a shielded twisted pair... shield is connected to shell only (not connected at RCA end).
Do not connect signal ground to shell.

jk@home

« Reply #8 on: 30 Sep 2018, 11:34 pm »
OK, thank you very much for that info.