New member from Boston, MA, Vintage Energy Pro 22

ambarvalia

New member from Boston, MA, Vintage Energy Pro 22
« on: 5 Jul 2022, 09:12 pm »
Hello from Boston. Just got Vision SET 120 Control amp by AVA, replacing my old Arcam Alpha 7R. Wow, what a difference it made! I'm still using Energy Pro 22 I bought in 1984 (?). They still sound wonderful to me but how long would speakers last???

Audiosaurusrex

Re: New member from Boston, MA, Vintage Energy Pro 22
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jul 2022, 12:04 am »
Hi and welcome,
I’m down in Westport, MA. I had an original pair of Vandersteen 2ce’s from 1993. They sounded great up until a few years ago but the midrange started to crackle specifically on BB Flim but other than that it was fine. Drivers can deteriorate so based on environment and heat/humidity. If they still sound great that’s all that matters.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jul 2022, 03:10 am »
Welcome!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 6 Jul 2022, 03:20 am »
Welcome to AC  :thumb:

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #4 on: 6 Jul 2022, 02:09 pm »
Energy Pro-22s are nice speakers, have you worked on the tweeters yet?

Some info here:   https://www.abitech.ca/

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 6 Jul 2022, 02:11 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC ambarvalia   :thumb:

ambarvalia

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jul 2022, 03:21 pm »
Thank you all for your welcomes! And thank you, opnly bafld, for the info on Energy Pro 22. No, I haven't worked on the twitters. They still sound fine to me after almost 40 years of listening to them! But eventually I need to replace them, I think. But my ears are so used to their sound. What other speakers sound like them? Wharfedale Linton? Harbeth?

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #7 on: 7 Jul 2022, 01:27 am »
Thank you all for your welcomes! And thank you, opnly bafld, for the info on Energy Pro 22. No, I haven't worked on the twitters. They still sound fine to me after almost 40 years of listening to them! But eventually I need to replace them, I think. But my ears are so used to their sound. What other speakers sound like them? Wharfedale Linton? Harbeth?

If you get new speakers and like them, you will adjust to whatever differences there may be.
You could even start to wonder why you didn't replace the Energy's years ago.  :wink: