3D Printing in Speaker Building

HT cOz

3D Printing in Speaker Building
« on: 20 Sep 2012, 03:31 am »
Has anyone given any thought to how 3D printing could impact speaker building and the DIY market?  It's often said that a such and such won't work for DIY because it is too complicated.  Examples that come to my mind are complex baffles, wave guildes, amni directional cones, etc.  What if these complicated bits were programs that could be ordered from a company like Shapeways http://www.shapeways.com/  What other ideas are just waiting to be thought up with this newly available to the masses technology?

jcotner

Re: 3D Printing in Speaker Building
« Reply #1 on: 20 Sep 2012, 03:42 am »
I would suppose this would be very dependent on the materials that they
could actually manipulate with this technology.
Material resonance would be a very big consideration.
If this would pan out for speakers, too complex for DIY would take on a
new meaning.

pureiso

« Reply #2 on: 20 Sep 2012, 02:53 pm »
From what I have been reading about 3d printing, it could very well disrupt the market in favor of DIY.  The materials are one issue, but even then complex structures can be made and manually reinforced and dampened after the fact.

Actually, after looking at this I am highly interested.  The website has stainless steel as an option with a max height of ~40".  Could easily design a bookshelf to the right dimensions with that.  Don't know how the costs would look though...

HT cOz

« Reply #3 on: 20 Sep 2012, 04:19 pm »
I agree that it removes many of the barriers to DIY.  The cost will continue to fall.  Perhaps a book shelf speaker today is not feasable but what about next year or the year after that? 

What is feasable today is all sort of wave guides and complex structures.  My imagination runs wild however I don't know how to use any of the tools to explore the technology.  It certainly makes one want to learn!

Here are some ideas that I think are feasable today:
Front Baffles
Rear Baffles
Wave Guides
Omni Directional "Onion" Guides
Stackable Laminate Builds

What else can you all think of?

Need inspiration?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 20 Sep 2012, 06:23 pm »
As someone who uses a 3D printer nearly every day it's not practical for most things audio though.  The size is the issue.  The next best is a 5 axis CNC router (which I use too).  The issue is cost.  With todays CAD and simulation there is almost very little need to produce any of the above models.  Software is soooo powerful it's scary.  That's about as much as I can say.   :no_speak: