Bryston announcing new SST3 amps

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Bryston announcing new SST3 amps
« Reply #600 on: 1 May 2016, 04:00 pm »
Hi James,

So upgrading the SST2 units to Cubed series by the local distributor outside your factory is out of question, right?

Could one order the latest ^3 amps with the SST2 faceplates? I still like the idea of not having to explain much to my better half, when the budget allows for upgrades, hee hee. : )

Thanks,
Klao

Hi Klao

Yes it is definitely a factory upgrade if we get the OK.

I think the old faceplates will fit but you might want to include new faceplates as well as resale value would be poor otherwise.

james

GreenMtnGringo

« Reply #601 on: 1 May 2016, 09:39 pm »
Hi James, I am really enjoying my new 4B3 amp.  One quick operational question: Is it safe to toggle the rear Gain Select Switch between 23dB and 29dB while the amp is powered on, or should I turn off the power using the front Power/Standby switch before each throw of the Gain Select Switch?

Reason for asking: I have two primary source components, and one is quite a bit louder than the other at the same pre-amp volume setting.  I cannot turn the pre-amp volume pot past around 9:00 O'Clock when using the louder source component.  I find that my pre-amp sounds best with the volume around 12 O'Clock, so I was thinking of toggling the Bryston's Gain Select Switch down to 23dB when listening to this component, and then back up to 29dB when listening to the other one.

Thanks!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #602 on: 1 May 2016, 10:49 pm »
Hi James, I am really enjoying my new 4B3 amp.  One quick operational question: Is it safe to toggle the rear Gain Select Switch between 23dB and 29dB while the amp is powered on, or should I turn off the power using the front Power/Standby switch before each throw of the Gain Select Switch?

Reason for asking: I have two primary source components, and one is quite a bit louder than the other at the same pre-amp volume setting.  I cannot turn the pre-amp volume pot past around 9:00 O'Clock when using the louder source component.  I find that my pre-amp sounds best with the volume around 12 O'Clock, so I was thinking of toggling the Bryston's Gain Select Switch down to 23dB when listening to this component, and then back up to 29dB when listening to the other one.

Thanks!

Yes that should be fine assuming you do not hear any pops during switching and I would leave the volume fully down when switching.

James

GreenMtnGringo

« Reply #603 on: 2 May 2016, 01:55 am »
Thanks, James!  I tried the Gain Select Switch with the amp power on and my pre-amp volume all the way down.  No pop at all, and it turns out that both source components sound fine at the 23dB setting, so I will likely leave the switch in that position.
« Last Edit: 2 May 2016, 02:29 pm by GreenMtnGringo »

Marius

« Reply #604 on: 2 May 2016, 01:50 pm »
HI James,

Would you still have 2 black 28b SST 17 inch faceplates, no handles, laying around? Im considering a swap, but if you don't have them anymore, ill stop ;)

Cheers,
Marius

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #605 on: 2 May 2016, 03:22 pm »
HI James,

Would you still have 2 black 28b SST 17 inch faceplates, no handles, laying around? Im considering a swap, but if you don't have them anymore, ill stop ;)

Cheers,
Marius

I will check.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #606 on: 3 May 2016, 10:03 am »
Hi Folks,

Sneak Peek:

MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston 4B Cubed Review in hi-finews U.K.

Favourite Quote:

“Ultimately I couldn't find anything that would trip up the Bryston 4B3, no matter what I fed it, the amplifier responded with effortlessness and poise.

It has a refinement and innate musicality that suggests it can turn its hands to anything, albeit in a manner backed by an underlying sense of mischief, and a feeling of power that is little short of addictive.

The measurements (from Paul Miller) are equally impressive overall.”

Adam Smith

« Last Edit: 3 May 2016, 11:37 am by James Tanner »

GreenMtnGringo

« Reply #607 on: 3 May 2016, 04:58 pm »
Hi Folks,

Sneak Peek:

Favourite Quote:

“Ultimately I couldn't find anything that would trip up the Bryston 4B3, no matter what I fed it, the amplifier responded with effortlessness and poise.

It has a refinement and innate musicality that suggests it can turn its hands to anything, albeit in a manner backed by an underlying sense of mischief, and a feeling of power that is little short of addictive.

The measurements (from Paul Miller) are equally impressive overall.”

Adam Smith

Thanks for the review preview, James.  I have had my 4B3 for just over a week now, and I agree with the reviewer that the sound is addictive!  I find that I can hear much deeper into recordings that I thought I knew well.  The instruments and voices were all there before, but now with the 4B3 they are sorted out in such a convincing way, from front to back, side to side, and relative to each other, that it is uncanny.  I never owned a Squared amp, so I cannot offer a comparison on that front, but I can say that I have never heard my listening room or my Magnepan MG .7's sound so good!  Congratulations to Bryston on a great amp, and on the upcoming Hi-Fi News review!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #608 on: 3 May 2016, 05:00 pm »
Thanks for the review preview, James.  I have had my 4B3 for just over a week now, and I agree with the reviewer that the sound is addictive!  I find that I can hear much deeper into recordings that I thought I knew well.  The instruments and voices were all there before, but now with the 4B3 they are sorted out in such a convincing way, from front to back, side to side, and relative to each other, that it is uncanny.  I never owned a Squared amp, so I cannot offer a comparison on that front, but I can say that I have never heard my listening room or my Magnepan MG .7's sound so good!  Congratulations to Bryston on a great amp, and on the upcoming Hi-Fi News review!

Thank you for the feedback - much appreciated - ENJOY! :thumb:

james

wilsonij

• BDP1>SP3>7B3s> Vandersteen Quatros
« Reply #609 on: 3 May 2016, 08:27 pm »
Looks like this will be out in about a week's time:

Do you know of any reviews of the 7B3 in the pipeline James ?

Everyone who's been round to my place to listen to mine have been blown away ! :-)

Ian

GreenMtnGringo

« Reply #610 on: 3 May 2016, 08:36 pm »
^^ STOP THE PRESSES!! ^^

"US muscle amp flexes its specs."  :duh:

« Last Edit: 3 May 2016, 10:38 pm by GreenMtnGringo »

dallyd31

« Reply #611 on: 3 May 2016, 10:54 pm »
^^ STOP THE PRESSES!! ^^

I noticed that too. Yikes

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #612 on: 4 May 2016, 12:17 am »
^^ STOP THE PRESSES!! ^^

Ya we are still considered the "colonies" over here in N.America   :lol:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #613 on: 5 May 2016, 04:31 pm »
Marius -

Hi James;

The computer says we have 6 pcs of the 28BSST2 black 17” panel in stock.  $300.00 each, plus shipping, for dress panel kits.

Thanks,

Mike

Marius

« Reply #614 on: 5 May 2016, 06:37 pm »
HI James,

Thanks, unfortunately thats a bit steeper than i would have hoped for really. Gee, too bad.  :cry:
Maybe i should wait until you can't use them anymore in the current amp lineup ;) Thanks for checking though, much appreciated.

Marius

Marius -

Hi James;

The computer says we have 6 pcs of the 28BSST2 black 17” panel in stock.  $300.00 each, plus shipping, for dress panel kits.

Thanks,

Mike

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #615 on: 6 May 2016, 03:01 am »
I think I asked this a couple weeks ago in a different thread, but will any of the cubed tech be eventually making it into the preamps or headamp?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #616 on: 6 May 2016, 09:47 am »
I think I asked this a couple weeks ago in a different thread, but will any of the cubed tech be eventually making it into the preamps or headamp?

HI

I do not think so as the input circuits on the amplifiers do not really apply to the low level gain stages on the preamps and headamps.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #617 on: 7 May 2016, 12:46 pm »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: New Cubed Amplifiers – Thoughts!

Hi James,

Having a right run on the new Cubed 7B’s, sold 4 this week :-)

For me the noise floor just seems lower so you get a more dynamic sound if that makes sense, everything seems to erupt from an inkier black background but still very neutral and honest with just enough warmth to give a very lifelike presentation.

For me you guys still make the best amps in the world :-)

Regards,
Paul Clark

Here to listen...

hifi lounge
4 The Granary Buildings, Millow Hall Farm, Millow, Dunton,
Bedfordshire, SG18 8RH, Phone:    +44 (0) 1767 448121
Email: paul@hifilounge.co.uk

Pundamilia

« Reply #618 on: 7 May 2016, 04:09 pm »
When will we begin to see all the rave reviews on the Cubed series from the audiophile trade press? :o

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #619 on: 7 May 2016, 04:26 pm »
When will we begin to see all the rave reviews on the Cubed series from the audiophile trade press? :o

HI

It will be a while - we are very backordered and customers come first.

james