Bryston announcing new SST3 amps

wilsonij

• BDP1>SP3>7B3s> Vandersteen Quatros
Re: Bryston announcing new SST3 amps
« Reply #440 on: 12 Mar 2016, 12:27 pm »
Here's a tricky question for those in the know...

I can afford either a pair of new SST3 7's or a pair of ex-demo 28 SST2's.

Pre-amp is an SP3 and speakers are Vandersteen Quatros, the ones with the built-in 300W active subwoofers.

I've been using a Theta Dreadnaught for about a decade, but am about to move to a bigger place and think that upgrading to Bryston monoblocks will improve the soundstage, separation and noise floor.

As the speakers are partially active, it may be unnecessary to have the 1k of power of the 28's, but all of the reviews I've read suggest they also have detail and delicacy to rival Tubes...

...but what I don't know is whether the new 7's will match or even surpass that.

Thoughts anyone ?

Ian

Simm

« Reply #441 on: 15 Mar 2016, 04:59 am »
Questions for Mr. Tanner:

1. Have the 28B SST3 amps been finalized and production begun?

2. When do you think we 28B SST2 owners may be invited to upgrade our units?

Any such information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #442 on: 15 Mar 2016, 10:34 am »
Questions for Mr. Tanner:

1. Have the 28B SST3 amps been finalized and production begun?

2. When do you think we 28B SST2 owners may be invited to upgrade our units?

Any such information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi Simm

1. No they are still in for safety and electrical approvals - I would say another month or so. - Its government - nuff said  :duh:

2. I would say a month or so after we get the approvals.

james

Rod_S

« Reply #443 on: 15 Mar 2016, 04:26 pm »
The new 28's must be nuclear powered given how long it's taking to get approvals

Simm

« Reply #444 on: 15 Mar 2016, 05:14 pm »
Thanks, Mr. Tanner, for your prompt reply. Many of us are anxious to experience the new amps, as you can imagine. The fact that you are so forthcoming with news and answers on this forum is a great asset to Bryston and one of the reasons that I have purchased your products. Thanks again.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #445 on: 15 Mar 2016, 07:17 pm »
The new 28's must be nuclear powered given how long it's taking to get approvals

Oh, I'd heard they were using Dr. Brown's flux capacitor design combined with Mr. Fusion.  :lol:

Rod_S

« Reply #446 on: 15 Mar 2016, 08:47 pm »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston A3 Speaker – Distributor Comments

March 2016

Hi James,

Three (3) wonderful products arrived at PMC from Bryston recently.

We’ve just run up the Bryston A3 speakers and we’re really excited. They sound great and they offer a lot of performance for the money.

The Cubed amps are amazing. So much smoother, greater depth and height information. It all sounds so much more “real” A big thank you to whoever came up with this improvement. We are measuring substantially lower THD at high frequencies (always a good sign) and the common mode rejection of the balanced inputs is almost 20dB better……incredible results!

The BDA-3 blows the BDA-2 out of the game. So much more detail, smoother and well-judged overall balance.

Thank you,
Peter Thomas
Managing Director

James, can you explain how the balanced inputs of the cubed series can be 20db better than the SST2 series?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #447 on: 15 Mar 2016, 08:59 pm »
James, can you explain how the balanced inputs of the cubed series can be 20db better than the SST2 series?

Our patented input stage - it really is exceptional  :thumb:

james

Rod_S

« Reply #448 on: 15 Mar 2016, 09:18 pm »
So this is what makes them quieter? i.e. the typically described blacker background?

What if one who has SST2 amps puts their ear up to the speakers and hears nothing now, would that mean there would be no audible improvement by using the new cubed tech?

PRELUDE

« Reply #449 on: 19 Mar 2016, 02:16 pm »
Hi James,
Is it possible to get the cubed amps with 19" face plate but no handles?
I think for the first time, this face plate without handles looks great. :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #450 on: 19 Mar 2016, 03:01 pm »
Hi James,
Is it possible to get the cubed amps with 19" face plate but no handles?
I think for the first time, this face plate without handles looks great. :thumb:

I think so but the handles are holding on the faceplate so it would have to have some sort of bolt head showing.

james

Rod_S

« Reply #451 on: 22 Mar 2016, 01:52 pm »
Although I've yet to see the new amps in person, pictures continue to pop up online and I gotta say I'm bummed about the new faceplates. It took me a while to decide if I like them or not and I don't :( There's just something off putting about that elevated square as it breaks the visual flow and lines and for the 2 channel amps I've seen pics of (the 4 and 14) the LEDs are to close together. There just seems to be to much wasted or empty space now out to the edges, the bigger gap of the old design tended to break that up nicely.

audio.bill

« Reply #452 on: 22 Mar 2016, 02:32 pm »
Naturally whether an individual likes the new cosmetic design is totally subjective and our tastes are all unique. Though what I have heard from several people who have seen them was that they look much better in person than they do in photographs.

Rod_S

« Reply #453 on: 22 Mar 2016, 02:36 pm »
True, a very individual preference for sure.

I've heard the same thing about the new B&W 800 series as well. From the pics, to me they look horrible.

Rod_S

« Reply #454 on: 23 Mar 2016, 04:12 pm »
We must be getting closer to when the pricing and details will be finalized for the SST2 to cube upgrades. Anything new to report James? I assume because this isn't warranty work the customer will be responsible for shipping both ways?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #455 on: 23 Mar 2016, 04:32 pm »
We must be getting closer to when the pricing and details will be finalized for the SST2 to cube upgrades. Anything new to report James? I assume because this isn't warranty work the customer will be responsible for shipping both ways?

Hi Rod

Yes engineering is looking now as to what is feasible and I should now details in a couple of more weeks.

james

Rod_S

« Reply #456 on: 23 Mar 2016, 05:36 pm »
Thanks

I hope what is feasible is what you were hoping in that the entire input stage (for which you said you received a patent for) can be made to fit. If it turns out you can only use parts of it then the SST2 amps would probably remain more SST2's than cubes thus the upgrade would become much less tempting.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #457 on: 23 Mar 2016, 07:21 pm »
hi, Bryston!

would be nice to know if the 875 amp can be cube-upgraded as well.

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #458 on: 23 Mar 2016, 07:41 pm »
hi, Bryston!

would be nice to know if the 875 amp can be cube-upgraded as well.

al.

Hi Alex

No I do not think it can be as it is a slightly different design - I will ask.

james

drummermitchell

« Reply #459 on: 23 Mar 2016, 10:16 pm »
So James,
It will be a go with the upgrade 2 to cubed :D..
I'm curious as I have your 28's from a awhile back and when I wanted to upgrade the transformers we couldn't as the chassis was a bit different but the new caps were,Have the 60a Torus backin them up anyway :lol:.
My Q is since it's a few electrical parts do you think it's doable,THX.