Bryston announcing new SST3 amps

Jimmy71

Re: Bryston announcing new SST3 amps
« Reply #400 on: 29 Feb 2016, 11:37 am »
Bryston has always had a understated look to begin with, I guess the new square bit sticks out figuratively more than the old C Series plus it no longer matches the other products looks so that might be one of the reasons for the criticisms.

It does look odd though in photos but may look better in person.

It would have been nice since they redesigned things if they followed say Pass Labs or Dan D'Agostino and installed meters with nice back lighting. Those two designs in particular are quite elegant not like the McIntosh meters which are akin to a spoiled child crying out for attention :)
I couldn't write it better than what you wrote,that is what I wanted to say plain and simple lines.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #401 on: 29 Feb 2016, 11:59 am »
I just checked out the manuals for the new 7 and 28 and noticed something interesting with respect to idle power consumption and heat dissipation. These specs were the same for both amps in the SST2 series.

For the 7 the idle power consumption has dropped substantially from 215 watts (the SST2 series) to <= 80 and the heat dissipation went from 733 BTU/hr to <= 270.

On the other hand the specs for the 28 have gone up a bit, <= 225 watts and <=768 BTU/hr.

So this led me to check out the 4. This ended up being hybrid of sorts, the power went down from 170 watts to <=70 but the heat dissipation remained the same at 580.

James is there any particular reason why some amps seem to have become more power efficient while others have not? What are these changes properties of, the new input circuity or changes to the power supply and/or transformers?

Just curious how these figures would be affected for people who do the SST2 upgrade. If it's input stage related users would see these changes but I guess if power supply and/or transformer related these changes wouldn't be seen on the upgraded units.

Thanks

I am assuming there are misprints in transferring info from the engineering guys to the website guys - all the SST2 amplifiers to Cubed amps are much more similar in these areas than different.  Will check

james

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #402 on: 29 Feb 2016, 12:20 pm »
You could always just get a SST2 on the used market if you don't like the cubed faceplate :) plus save a bit of money. The SST2 would be two generations from your SST if yours isn't a C Series because it's my understanding that there were some updates with the C Series SST's.

Rod,

my understanding is that the changes with the c-series were only the faceplates?!?

al.

techguy0192

« Reply #403 on: 29 Feb 2016, 10:40 pm »
Rod,

my understanding is that the changes with the c-series were only the faceplates?!?

al.

Correct.  The faceplate was the only change.  They were just late production SST models. 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #404 on: 1 Mar 2016, 11:09 am »

Hi James,

The new Cubed series has pleasantly exceeded our expectations. 

It retains the world class iron fisted bass control of the Squared series and adds meaningfully improved resolution across the board.  Top end has more sparkle, midrange has greater transparency and bass is more tuneful. 

Bravo to Bryston for the continued proficiency.

Sincerely,
Robert
Audio Eden Ltd.

audio.bill

« Reply #405 on: 2 Mar 2016, 12:51 am »
James - I don't believe you ever shared the current US pricing for the Cubed series amps. If you can do so it would be most appreciated, TIA!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #406 on: 2 Mar 2016, 01:01 am »
James - I don't believe you ever shared the current US pricing for the Cubed series amps. If you can do so it would be most appreciated, TIA!

I do not have a total list but the prices are about 10 percent more than the SST2 versions. Is the a specific model?

James

audio.bill

« Reply #407 on: 2 Mar 2016, 01:09 am »
Most interested in the 7B Cubed price. Also, do they have sufficient heat dissipation to be safely operated stacked as pictured on the website? Thanks again!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #408 on: 2 Mar 2016, 09:38 am »
Most interested in the 7B Cubed price. Also, do they have sufficient heat dissipation to be safely operated stacked as pictured on the website? Thanks again!

HI Bill

The 7B's are now the same price as the 4B - $5695 list each. There is no issue at all with stacking as there is plenty of heatsink available.  I would not stack them in a totally enclosed cabinet but short of that there would not be an issues.  In my Model T active speaker setup I have a 4B per side stacked on a 7B and no problems encountered.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #409 on: 3 Mar 2016, 10:20 am »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston A3 Speaker – Distributor Comments

March 2016

Hi James,

Three (3) wonderful products arrived at PMC from Bryston recently.

We’ve just run up the Bryston A3 speakers and we’re really excited. They sound great and they offer a lot of performance for the money.

The Cubed amps are amazing. So much smoother, greater depth and height information. It all sounds so much more “real” A big thank you to whoever came up with this improvement. We are measuring substantially lower THD at high frequencies (always a good sign) and the common mode rejection of the balanced inputs is almost 20dB better……incredible results!

The BDA-3 blows the BDA-2 out of the game. So much more detail, smoother and well-judged overall balance.

Thank you,
Peter Thomas
Managing Director

SFOX

« Reply #410 on: 4 Mar 2016, 02:12 am »
james

do you have any 7B SST2 or 4B SST2 left in stock ?

steven

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #411 on: 4 Mar 2016, 02:17 am »
james

do you have any 7B SST2 or 4B SST2 left in stock ?

steven

No sorry - all gone.

james

Rod_S

« Reply #412 on: 4 Mar 2016, 03:04 pm »
I just checked out the manuals for the new 7 and 28 and noticed something interesting with respect to idle power consumption and heat dissipation. These specs were the same for both amps in the SST2 series.

For the 7 the idle power consumption has dropped substantially from 215 watts (the SST2 series) to <= 80 and the heat dissipation went from 733 BTU/hr to <= 270.

On the other hand the specs for the 28 have gone up a bit, <= 225 watts and <=768 BTU/hr.

So this led me to check out the 4. This ended up being hybrid of sorts, the power went down from 170 watts to <=70 but the heat dissipation remained the same at 580.

James is there any particular reason why some amps seem to have become more power efficient while others have not? What are these changes properties of, the new input circuity or changes to the power supply and/or transformers?

Just curious how these figures would be affected for people who do the SST2 upgrade. If it's input stage related users would see these changes but I guess if power supply and/or transformer related these changes wouldn't be seen on the upgraded units.

Thanks

I am assuming there are misprints in transferring info from the engineering guys to the website guys - all the SST2 amplifiers to Cubed amps are much more similar in these areas than different.  Will check

james

Were you able to find out any further details about the rather large spec discrepancies between the SST2's and cubes?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #413 on: 4 Mar 2016, 03:27 pm »
Hi Rod

Yes they are working on a whole new set for me.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #414 on: 4 Mar 2016, 04:30 pm »
Were you able to find out any further details about the rather large spec discrepancies between the SST2's and cubes?

From Engineering:

Hi James,

I apologize for this, there seems to be a lot of misinformation in the first batch of manuals. I will endeavour to make everything proper on the next printing.

Attached is a spreadsheet of the specs I derived during testing of the CUBED amps. I am in the process of confirming these figures, then I will send it down to Gary Dayton, so he can update the manuals.

As far as idle power consumption is concerned, it seems to be quite variable (dependent on bias adjustment). That is the reason that I have indicated a spread of values for that parameter.

I hope this helps,

David

Rod_S

« Reply #415 on: 4 Mar 2016, 09:05 pm »
Rod,

al.

Correct.  The faceplate was the only change.  They were just late production SST models.

Are you sure? I could have sworn there were some tweaks like better caps, etc.?

Rod_S

« Reply #416 on: 4 Mar 2016, 09:05 pm »
Hi Rod

Yes they are working on a whole new set for me.

james

Thanks

Rod_S

« Reply #417 on: 4 Mar 2016, 09:07 pm »
From Engineering:

Hi James,

I apologize for this, there seems to be a lot of misinformation in the first batch of manuals. I will endeavour to make everything proper on the next printing.

Attached is a spreadsheet of the specs I derived during testing of the CUBED amps. I am in the process of confirming these figures, then I will send it down to Gary Dayton, so he can update the manuals.

As far as idle power consumption is concerned, it seems to be quite variable (dependent on bias adjustment). That is the reason that I have indicated a spread of values for that parameter.

I hope this helps,

David

Thanks for posting the response you received.

Rod_S

« Reply #418 on: 4 Mar 2016, 09:20 pm »

HI Bill

The 7B's are now the same price as the 4B - $5695 list each. There is no issue at all with stacking as there is plenty of heatsink available.  I would not stack them in a totally enclosed cabinet but short of that there would not be an issues.  In my Model T active speaker setup I have a 4B per side stacked on a 7B and no problems encountered.

james

Bill, I've been running my 28's stacked since I got them back in the fall of 2013 with no issues. They are out in the open so there is plenty of air circulation. I do find the one on top gets warmer than the bottom but I guess that make sense as heat rises. I'm assuming overall they run a bit warmer when stacked.

On a similar note, any issues placing a Bryston amp on a BIT, say the BIT-15 or 20? I was thinking when I get a BIT-20 I would place a 7B-SST2 on top of it, at least until I got around to getting a 2 shelf stand.

Rod_S

« Reply #419 on: 5 Mar 2016, 09:54 pm »

David

I hear and see the word bias talked about from time to time, can someone explain what this is exactly and how it relates to the power consumption and overall heat generated from the amp? I even noticed bias adjustment instructions for the older amps on the Bryston website.