Bryston announcing new SST3 amps

Rod_S

Re: Bryston announcing new SST3 amps
« Reply #340 on: 22 Feb 2016, 01:07 am »
Wow that's a real shame and a definite barrier for the little guys as you point out.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #341 on: 22 Feb 2016, 04:13 am »
Our guitar/violin accessory lacks one required EU certification, which prevents a large distributor from selling it.  In Great Britain, any appliance is required to include the special mains plug pins common only to GB.  A product can not be sold or advertised for sale lacking such pins. 

The last we checked, the OEM who makes the SMPS demanded MOQ of 3000 units to include the GB pins.  I'm not necessarily saying I'm one of them, but I suspect there are persons who can't wait till the EU self-destructs.  I suppose many of these certs are generally good, but there is no doubt the smaller the company the more difficult is it to fulfill each additional cert. 

Entrepreneurship steadily declines, while in prior eras small business growth has always been associated with a growing economy. 

Please return to happy talk about Bryston's new gear, no sarcasm. 

Rod_S

« Reply #342 on: 22 Feb 2016, 06:34 pm »
What were the changes to the soft start circuit? How does it now affect how the amps are turned on and potentially any affect on the triggers vs the SST2 design?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #343 on: 22 Feb 2016, 06:40 pm »
What were the changes to the soft start circuit? How does it now affect how the amps are turned on and potentially any affect on the triggers vs the SST2 design?

Hi Rod,

Lower standby power, LED Status on the rear panel now, EMC Certification world wide, Safety and Hydro compliance certifications.

Triggers operate the same.

james

Rod_S

« Reply #344 on: 22 Feb 2016, 06:52 pm »
Hi Rod,

Lower standby power, LED Status on the rear panel now, EMC Certification world wide, Safety and Hydro compliance certifications.

Triggers operate the same.

james

I never picked up on there being a LED on the back now. In the pic of the back of the 14 earlier in the thread, is the LED between the IEC and right speaker binding posts? What's the significance of that LED given that there is one on the front? Would it change color like the front ones always have on earlier models?

How much lower is the stand by power per model? That could be something quite beneficial if significantly less.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #345 on: 22 Feb 2016, 07:06 pm »
I never picked up on there being a LED on the back now. In the pic of the back of the 14 earlier in the thread, is the LED between the IEC and right speaker binding posts? What's the significance of that LED given that there is one on the front? Would it change color like the front ones always have on earlier models?

How much lower is the stand by power per model? That could be something quite beneficial if significantly less.

The standby light just indicates that all is well after turn on - if not it blinks red.

Standby now has to be less than 1/2 watt

james

Rod_S

« Reply #346 on: 22 Feb 2016, 10:17 pm »
Out of curiosity I checked the 7 and 28 SST2 manuals and it doesn't list the standby power. I'm assuming that is different than the idle power rating because with both stating 215 watts at idle getting that down to 1/2 a watt would be quite an accomplishment :) Is there a chart somewhere of the standby power for the SST2 series?

SoundGame

« Reply #347 on: 22 Feb 2016, 11:53 pm »
Idle and standby should be interpreted the same.

Out of curiosity I checked the 7 and 28 SST2 manuals and it doesn't list the standby power. I'm assuming that is different than the idle power rating because with both stating 215 watts at idle getting that down to 1/2 a watt would be quite an accomplishment :) Is there a chart somewhere of the standby power for the SST2 series?

srb

« Reply #348 on: 23 Feb 2016, 12:04 am »
Idle and standby should be interpreted the same.

The Standby power consumption is the power used when plugged in but with the front power switch off and the power relay circuit active and ready to respond to either the front power switch or the 12V trigger input.

In a remote controlled component it would also include the small power required to keep the IR or RF receiver circuit active if power on/off is one of the remote functions.

The Idle power consumption is the power used when fully powered up but with no input signal present.  The higher the output device bias current, the higher the idle power consumption.

Steve

larevoj

« Reply #349 on: 23 Feb 2016, 05:25 am »
Hi James, not sure if you have replied on this...the Standby power consumption looks great. Will there be a reduction in Idle? Not that it matters to me and in fact I don't mind if it consume more only if it does improve the sound.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: 23 Feb 2016, 12:41 pm by larevoj »

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #350 on: 23 Feb 2016, 07:08 am »
Random tip for you guys: press and hold the [alt] button, then on the numpad type 0179, then release the [alt] button.

Voila, now you can type things like 4B³

Rod_S

« Reply #351 on: 23 Feb 2016, 12:09 pm »
Hi James, not sure if you have replied on this...the Standby power consumption looks great. Will there be a reduction in Idle? Bot that it matters to me and in fact I don't mind it consume more if it does improve the sound.  :thumb:

Ah, good question. That would be an interesting comparison as well. I looked at the website but nothing has been added yet for the new series. Given that all of the BIT changes over the past year or so have never made it to the website I won't hold my breath for the cubed series showing up anytime soon :)

I assume as was the case with the SST2 manuals the idle specs would be in there. The manuals don't seem to mention standby power consumption.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #352 on: 23 Feb 2016, 01:13 pm »
Ah, good question. That would be an interesting comparison as well. I looked at the website but nothing has been added yet for the new series. Given that all of the BIT changes over the past year or so have never made it to the website I won't hold my breath for the cubed series showing up anytime soon :)

I assume as was the case with the SST2 manuals the idle specs would be in there. The manuals don't seem to mention standby power consumption.

I am not sure on that ... would have to ask engineering - my assumption is not much change on idle power.

james

Rod_S

« Reply #353 on: 23 Feb 2016, 06:05 pm »
Something I've always been curious about with Bryston amps as it's something you simply don't see on other consumer products is the use of an XLR input that allows for 1/4" stereo connectors. I noticed this connector is still present on the new cubes. James is this something that customers actually ask for and make use of or is it now more of a legacy part that would have no real use? I can understand it on the pro series as those are meant more for the professional side of things where 1/4" jacks are the norm but for the consumer market, I don't see where anyone would ever need it. If that's the case why continue to use it and not replace it with a standard XLR?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #354 on: 23 Feb 2016, 06:09 pm »
Yes we use the same jack on Consumer and Pro so from a stocking standpoint it makes sense.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #355 on: 24 Feb 2016, 02:27 am »

James

You need a new speech writer !

Why do you always dramatically understate things in your press releases and on Audiocircle?! "Evolution not a revolution"?!?!?! That's like referring to the evolution from a fish to a bird as though it was no big deal :)

Yes the new Cubed series is way better than the Squared! And that's brand new, with no warm up/break in. Incredibly refined and natural. Can't wait to hear the 14B3!

Oh, and the BDA3 is also not merely a BDA2 with DSD. Again, huge difference here in quality. You gotta get the crowd more excited, man! :)

Keep up the good work!

James
Absolute Audio Video

audio.bill

« Reply #356 on: 24 Feb 2016, 02:43 am »
I see James' (from Absolute Audio Video) point, but it's always better to under-promise and over-deliver than the other way around!

schmidtmike76

« Reply #357 on: 26 Feb 2016, 01:03 am »
My 2.5 cubed is ordered can't wait to here it. Thanks for all your help on the forum answering my questions everyone.  I went with the 2.5 as my proac's don't provide a difficult load.  Saved money on this end only to spend on the pre! 

Rod_S

« Reply #358 on: 26 Feb 2016, 12:29 pm »
A couple design related questions for the new series.

Why weren't those clumsy archaic bare wire tirggers finally updated to be jack based? This was a perfect opportunity to update the design. You use the jack based triggers on all your more recent digital related products i.e. BDA-3, BDP1 USB, BDP-2, SP3, BUC-1

2ndly, I may have asked this before somewhere but can't remember, was there any consideration given to adding a 2nd pair of binding posts to the 7's to allow users the option of a truly bi-wire feed to their speakers, just like is found on the 28's? If so, why was that not implemented. If not considered, why not?

Thanks

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #359 on: 26 Feb 2016, 01:07 pm »
A couple design related questions for the new series.

Why weren't those clumsy archaic bare wire tirggers finally updated to be jack based? This was a perfect opportunity to update the design. You use the jack based triggers on all your more recent digital related products i.e. BDA-3, BDP1 USB, BDP-2, SP3, BUC-1

2ndly, I may have asked this before somewhere but can't remember, was there any consideration given to adding a 2nd pair of binding posts to the 7's to allow users the option of a truly bi-wire feed to their speakers, just like is found on the 28's? If so, why was that not implemented. If not considered, why not?

Thanks

Hi Rod

Both were considered but on the first not all customers have the proper jack so we felt bare wire is easy for anyone to implement and once you attach the bare wire you can easily connect or disconnect the trigger wire. You can also easily parallel wires easily by doubling or tripling up the wires in the same connection or daisy chaining multiple amps .

We could have added the second set but it would have made the upgrade path from SST2 to Cubed a bit more difficult according to engineering.

James