I test drove a Tesla 3 this morning.

Photon46

Re: I test drove a Tesla 3 this morning.
« Reply #260 on: 10 Jun 2019, 12:13 am »
Now, I watch the news three times a day on 4 different networks

May I suggest you cut back on that. I guarantee you'd be a happier, less stressed person.

Yes indeed, it's a fine line between being informed and so oversaturated with media it stresses you out. I remind myself that 150 years ago, it took two weeks for news from Washington to get to California. Now our new cycles are in nano-seconds. I can't watch TV news at all, I prefer reading my news to talking heads. 

kingdeezie

« Reply #261 on: 10 Jun 2019, 07:42 pm »

avahifi

« Reply #262 on: 19 Jun 2019, 02:32 pm »
I pulled the trigger this morning and put a deposit down on a new Tesla Model 3.

Its the long range (335 mile) rear wheel drive version, blue, black interior, auto pilot standard. It is the most efficient one available.

Tesla is discontinuing this model and a new 2019 one popped up as available at my local Tesla showroom and I couldn't resist.  I should have it within a week after the paperwork dust settles.

First new car for me in nearly 20 years.

Frank

fredgarvin

« Reply #263 on: 19 Jun 2019, 03:21 pm »
It's an e-cigarette

Touche' !

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #264 on: 19 Jun 2019, 04:17 pm »
I pulled the trigger this morning and put a deposit down on a new Tesla Model 3.

Its the long range (335 mile) rear wheel drive version, blue, black interior, auto pilot standard. It is the most efficient one available.

Tesla is discontinuing this model and a new 2019 one popped up as available at my local Tesla showroom and I couldn't resist.  I should have it within a week after the paperwork dust settles.

Frank
Congrats Frank. Why rwd and not awd? Is awd more expensive?

avahifi

« Reply #265 on: 19 Jun 2019, 05:50 pm »
The long range rear wheel drive version is more efficient, has longest range, and is $4000 less.

I want the range for doing some long road trips starting as soon as possible (after we get caught up on the still large order backlog here).

It will also be useful here in Minnesota as cold winter weather cuts the range by about 30 percent or thereabouts.

Frank

Emil

« Reply #266 on: 19 Jun 2019, 05:52 pm »

Frank

Congrats Frank. very nice

Make sure you experiment with recharging power cords.
I hear Cardas makes a nice one. Plugs plated with rhodium over silver.   :)

« Last Edit: 19 Jun 2019, 07:39 pm by Emil »

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #267 on: 19 Jun 2019, 06:48 pm »
Congrats Frank. very nice

Make you experiment with recharging power cords.
I hear Cardas makes a nice one. Plugs plated with rhodium over silver.   :)

Frank by heart is a hard wired Guy. Enjoy your new wheels Frank. Glad to hear business is VG.

charles

charmerci

« Reply #268 on: 19 Jun 2019, 07:14 pm »
  Frank by heart is a hard wired Guy. Enjoy your new wheels Frank. Glad to hear business is VG.

charles

A 170 mile long cord for his Tesla????  :lol:

avahifi

« Reply #269 on: 19 Jun 2019, 08:28 pm »
Actually 170 miles of Cardas power cord sounds really nice, except that it would cost a lot more than the Tesla itself.

However, isn't the best recommendation at AC is to use battery power wherever possible, and with the Tesla that is what I will be doing.

Frank

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #270 on: 19 Jun 2019, 09:01 pm »
The long range rear wheel drive version is more efficient, has longest range, and is $4000 less.

I want the range for doing some long road trips starting as soon as possible (after we get caught up on the still large order backlog here).

It will also be useful here in Minnesota as cold winter weather cuts the range by about 30 percent or thereabouts.

Frank

Hi Frank,
I’m in Rochester, NY and I’m in the process of ordering a 3 now. I was all set to get the 3 with awd because the Teslas drivers here ALL say it’s best to pay the extra bucks for awd because of the snow. (We get a little snow here.)

But ... I also make several trips driving to NC each year so now I don’t know if awd is the best choice if the rwd is more efficient and with greater range.

So I guess I have to do more research.

Best,
LesterSleepsIn

avahifi

« Reply #271 on: 19 Jun 2019, 10:23 pm »
I have been told that just getting a good set of winter tires mounted on wheels for the RWD version works just about as good as normal AWD on slippery roads.  Just swap them on for the winter.   Costs less than AWD and they would need winter tires anyway.  I have been using Bridgestone Blizzaks for years, no problems at all.

Note that LR RWD is ending production right now so jump on one immediately if you can find one.

Frsnk

WGH

« Reply #272 on: 20 Jun 2019, 02:42 pm »

The new 2019 TRUCKLA: The world's first Tesla Model 3 pickup truck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R35gWBtLCYg

The Truckla Wired article: https://www.wired.com/story/simone-giertz-tesla-pickup-model-3-truckla/

audioengr

« Reply #273 on: 20 Jun 2019, 05:00 pm »
I have been told that just getting a good set of winter tires mounted on wheels for the RWD version works just about as good as normal AWD on slippery roads.  Just swap them on for the winter.   Costs less than AWD and they would need winter tires anyway.  I have been using Bridgestone Blizzaks for years, no problems at all.

Note that LR RWD is ending production right now so jump on one immediately if you can find one.

Frsnk

I have another set of rims for my snow tires as well.  The best rated ones for skinny tires are the Nokian Hakkapeliitta.  They wear like iron and make you invincible.  Blizzaks are great tires for wider sidewalls, but not so great for the skinny tires. They also wear out real fast on dry roads.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #274 on: 20 Jun 2019, 06:43 pm »

Frsnk

As long as your expectations are reasonable snow tires and 2wd can work fine... you just have a lot less forward traction vs awd. Because of this you may not be able to start going up a hill after you stopped, and getting going at stops can be slow. I'd recommend carrying some sand, a shovel and tire chains (whatever modern equivalent fits the car) just in case you're in deep or slushy snow or you get stuck.

Otherwise, I run Michelin Pilot Alpin performance snow tires and they work great on my rwd car. If you'll be driving primarily on snow-covered roads I'd recommend Michelin X-Ice instead. They do better on snow vs Pilot Alpin, but significantly worse on dry pavement. IMO the best choice depends on where you live... here in CO we get snow but the roads are dry a great majority of the time so performance snows make sense vs pure snow tires.

ketcham

• Industry Participant
« Reply #275 on: 20 Jun 2019, 06:50 pm »
My thoughts only - we can have differing opinions and debate an important topic.  It is expected the threshold of what is considered appropriate is different among any population.  As long as we remain respectful of differing opinions, the thread is worth reading. 

I have a Tesla and Porsche Macan GTS - my GTS was in for 2 year service and at 14K miles has blow head gasket and seal to transmission necessitating pulling the motor under warranty for engine rebuild.  I was told this is common for the 3.0 L engines with small seals. 

Maintenance of the Tesla is near zero.  My diesel Ford E350 4x4 camper - ridiculous maintenance. 

I am all for low wattage systems and the passive heat they provide to my listening room.

Steve Nugent's low carbon footprint is an impressive accomplishment. 

-j

ketcham

• Industry Participant
« Reply #276 on: 20 Jun 2019, 06:53 pm »
In the Pacific NW - it is near freezing.  Hills/mountains with 1/4" or more ice.  Studded tires and chains necessary and sometimes with the best of vehicles still un-navigable.  AWD Teslas are in the ditches like matchsticks.  The high torque of the motors necessitate the best tires on the market but will wear fast for the same reason.

avahifi

« Reply #277 on: 25 Jun 2019, 08:24 pm »
I took delivery of my Tesla 3 this morning.  The blue metallic paint just glows in the sunshine.

Delivery process at the Eden Prairie show room was excellent.

Coming from a 340 HP Audi S6, the Tesla makes it soooo obsolete.  There is nothing the Audi could do that the Tesla does not do better, except make more noise.

Mine is the longest range version, 325 miles between charges if needed.  Now I need to install a 240V outlet on my garage, although there is a Tesla supercharger only 3 miles from my home.

If you are in this area, you are welcome to stop by for a test ride.

PS:  I did not acquire the Tesla because of global cooling or warming or improved operating economy.  I got it because it is a blast to drive.

Frank
« Last Edit: 25 Jun 2019, 09:34 pm by avahifi »

Brad

« Reply #278 on: 25 Jun 2019, 08:48 pm »
Good for you Frank!  Have fun.   The torque of a Tesla must be a blast.

borism

« Reply #279 on: 25 Jun 2019, 09:27 pm »
Enjoy the ride! We got our T3 last December and it is still as much fun as the day we got it. We also have home charging and find it very convenient. In addition, the premium sound system is amazing!