I test drove a Tesla 3 this morning.

avahifi

Re: I test drove a Tesla 3 this morning.
« Reply #200 on: 17 Sep 2018, 02:27 pm »
The charging model for the Tesla 3 according to owners use is trending to be this.

Home charging from 240V AC which adds about 25 miles per charge hour.  This is plenty for any local use.

On road trips, they use the Tesla built in navigator to find Supercharger stations along the way.  There are about 15 thousand of them in the USA with more added every day.

For fastest charge, they recommend just to use the Superchargers to add 200+ miles in about 25 minutes, keeping the battery between 20 and 80 percent charged. Of course you can push it out to 300 miles plus where necessary, but bringing it up to 100 percent charged will take another 25 minutes.

Of course the Supercharges are appearing at many motel chains too for overnight charging.  Many more have level 2 charges which also are fine for overnight full charges.

The charging issue appears to not be a real issue, and cuts your fuel cost to about 20 percent of cost of gasoline.

Frank

martyo

« Reply #201 on: 17 Sep 2018, 03:48 pm »
Hey Frank. We are in California for my 50th high school reunion. We are on the Northern coast in the redwoods at a bed and breakfast. No cell phone service, there is Wifi. Also a Tesla charging station right at the base of a Redwood. Took a couple of pics with my phone. When we get somewhere with cell service I'll post them.

mmurt

« Reply #202 on: 17 Sep 2018, 04:09 pm »
Hey Frank. We are in California for my 50th high school reunion. We are on the Northern coast in the redwoods at a bed and breakfast. No cell phone service, there is Wifi. Also a Tesla charging station right at the base of a Redwood. Took a couple of pics with my phone. When we get somewhere with cell service I'll post them.

With or without charging stations, one of the most beautiful places on earth!

martyo

« Reply #203 on: 17 Sep 2018, 04:37 pm »
With or without charging stations, one of the most beautiful places on earth!

Yeah yeah!! That's the truth

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #204 on: 17 Sep 2018, 08:37 pm »
Is that a "destination" reunion?

My son and his fianceé are planning a "destination" wedding; IIRC you have experience with those.

martyo

« Reply #205 on: 17 Sep 2018, 09:10 pm »
Hey Steve.

No, the reunion is in Lakeport, in the heart of where the Mendocino Complex fire was earlier this summer. Just using the trip to also spend time in some of my favorite places out here.

My daughter did have a destination wedding. I thought it was selfish on their part. Big expenses for everyone attending  It was in Mexico so airfare too. And the marriage didn’t take, they’re divorced. She is remarried to the right guy this time. It was a civil service at the courthouse.

Next time I’ll tell you what I really think 😎

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #206 on: 17 Sep 2018, 09:18 pm »
I agree as to selfishness of destination weddings.  I have refused to go to 2 of them recently.  If they want the guests to spend  a couple of grand to attend, they should pay that for the guest.

avahifi

Tesla Model 3 rated safest car there is right now.
« Reply #207 on: 26 Oct 2018, 07:33 pm »
For what it is worth.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/08/tesla-model-3-has-lowest-probability-of-injury-out-of-all-cars-tested.html

Watch the short movie clip comparing the front crash tests of a Model 3 to an Audi A3.  Interesting.

Frank

WGH

« Reply #208 on: 5 Dec 2018, 02:15 am »
This happened last week:

A Sleeping Tesla Driver Highlights Autopilot's Biggest Flaw
LINK

"Last week, when a couple of California Highway Patrol officers spotted a man apparently sleeping in the driver’s seat of a Tesla Model S going 70 mph down Highway 101 in Palo Alto around 3:30 am, they moved behind the car and turned on their siren and lights. When the driver didn’t respond, the cops went beyond their standard playbook...."

Be careful out there Frank.

Don_S

« Reply #209 on: 5 Dec 2018, 03:02 am »
I read the article and went  :o at the information the Tesla would stop and put on warning lights after a certain elapsed time with no driver input.  Stop where?

avahifi

« Reply #210 on: 5 Dec 2018, 04:23 pm »
The headline should have read, "Tesla Autopilot saves passed out drunk driver from crashing and injuring himself and others."

Or would would it be better to just let the drunk driver crash (as he would of in any other car)?

If the Tesla detects no hand on the steering wheel while in autopilot mode, it firsts beeps and flashes to get driver's attention, and if no response pulls over and stops.  I suspect drunk driver in this case had hand on steering wheel, defeating the safety feature.  A future software upgrade will deal with this, letting car's computer observe the driver's defective behavior and do something about it.

Frank

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #211 on: 5 Dec 2018, 04:35 pm »
  Cool car Frank. Love the whole concept of Elec. However puzzled as to why the batteries do not recharge themselves on all makes and models. Loving my alternator on the old gas guzzling beast but not paying for gas and producing CO2.

charles

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #212 on: 5 Dec 2018, 05:51 pm »

avahifi

« Reply #213 on: 5 Dec 2018, 08:45 pm »
The Teslas all do have regenerating brakes.  Let up on the power pedal and the motors instantly turn to generators, changing momentum back into battery energy.  Brake pads last for 100,00 miles or better because they need be used so little. The amount of regenerative brake power can be adjusted for climate and road conditions.  This capability, along with very sophisticated traction and skid control makes the car very stable under slippery road conditions.

No, you can't fully charge the battery while driving because perpetual motion machines have yet to be invented.

Frank

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #214 on: 6 Dec 2018, 04:37 am »
Just saw this thread.  I love my dual motor AWD Model 3 here in Denver area (owned it for about a month).  I've been using the supercharger at the mall (10 min away and free for 6 months) and also plug it in at home nightly (110ac for now; I own the 220 wall charger but electrician hasn't installed yet).  Even the audio is great (mainly due to quieter ride and nice USB flash drive media player).  The instantaneous torque is quite exhilarating.  :)

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #215 on: 20 Mar 2019, 01:51 pm »
Ummm ... I believe the word is “sumbitch”. I was all prepared to send in my deposit but now I have to seriously reconsider. Tesla is stealing your private data, I mean your telematics. I’m sure they won’t sell it to “business partners” like insurance companies. And keep those hands on the wheel!

https://www.axios.com/newsletters/axios-am-1fc1c6b6-d593-4d23-bfed-0d0862681cd9.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axiosam&stream=top

WHAT TESLA KNOWS ABOUT YOU

“Every mile, every block, every inch of pavement driven by a Tesla vehicle generates a trove of information that can reveal as much about you as about your car, Axios autonomous vehicles correspondent Joann Muller writes from Detroit:

Why it matters: Tesla is more of a tech company than a car company. And because data is critical to self-driving cars, it has designed its vehicles from the outset to be sophisticated rolling computers.
As all cars get smarter and more automated, the data they collect will unlock new conveniences for drivers — but also rob them of privacy.
Most modern vehicles have a cellular wifi connection that transmits basic telematics data from the car to the cloud.

The data could include your vehicle's location and your personal settings, such as contacts you've synced from your phone, addresses you've plugged into the navigation system and even your favorite radio stations.
Automakers use that information to suggest pre-emptive maintenance, or to offer remote help such as unlocking doors or roadside assistance.
Carmakers often share that information with business partners who provide services like navigation or real-time traffic.
But Tesla collects more information than most.

It knows your speed, your mileage and where and when you charge the battery.
It monitors airbag deployments, braking and acceleration, which helps in accident investigations.
And it knows when Autopilot, Tesla's assisted-driving feature, is engaged or disengaged, and whether you have your hands on the wheel as you should.
Teslas are constantly in record mode, using cameras and other sensors to log every detail about what they encounter while driving, even when Autopilot is turned off.

This includes short video clips from the car's external cameras to learn how to recognize lane lines, street signs and traffic light positions.
Tesla says the video snippets are not linked to the car's vehicle identification number, and there is no way to search its database for clips associated with a specific car.
But with 500,000 vehicles on the road globally, information collected by one vehicle can easily be shared with others.
This "fleet learning" capability is an advantage that Tesla CEO Elon Musk says will help the company develop self-driving cars faster.

Tesla uses data from its vehicles to crowdsource advanced technology features like high-precision maps and improvements to Autopilot.
What you can do:

You can contact Tesla to stop sharing basic data, but that could affect your car's operation, prevent software updates and disable some features, Tesla says.
You can also opt out of sharing location-related data, including video clips.
But bystanders whose images are captured by Tesla's cameras don't have any ability to opt out.
Tesla says its customers' privacy is of the highest importance to the company. It recently joined a host of American companies and government agencies to help define a new international standard for consumer privacy.”

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #216 on: 20 Mar 2019, 02:01 pm »
The world is getting too complicated!!!  :green:

Gene

Early B.

« Reply #217 on: 20 Mar 2019, 03:10 pm »
This is nothing new and no reason not to buy a Tesla. If you own a cell phone, every move you make is being tracked.

avahifi

« Reply #218 on: 20 Mar 2019, 03:31 pm »
Tesla is going through a "corporate hiccup" right now regarding pricing, model availability, sales rooms, and delivery times in a rather unprofessional way.

I am going to wait until the dust settles before seriously considering one.  Although they brought back the long range rear motor version which was previously discontinued with an increased range to 325 miles and a bit lower price.  This is the version I have my eye on.

It would be nice if they actually started building the missing parts of their planned supercharger network in Minnesota and North Dakota and maybe even the one in Cody, Wyoming.  Without that supercharger, there is no way to get across Yellowstone Park without finding a slow camp ground charger somewhere along the way.

Frank

ketcham

• Industry Participant
« Reply #219 on: 20 Mar 2019, 03:34 pm »
Shucks,  I traveled to Europe last fall for a month - Italy, Germany, Switzerland and Austria.  The level of monitoring and cameras on every corner.  I still am getting tickets for unknowingly driving on pedestrian streets.  Waze was good for helping with photo cameras.  They are everywhere.  They track your velocity by average travel time between two points with auto licence place recognition.  Time on to and off toll roads and photo cameras.  Pretty soon there will be tracking on all cars themselves and any infraction anytime will be tagged and fined regardless of driver.  I joke that we need to even the playing field and place tracking devices on every police car and have an app that gives their location in real time.  They do this on us without warrant. 

Car computer data is being used for accident assessment and criminally charging drivers for negligence. 

My point is, unless you have a pre 1996 built car, there is some type of way of tracking you. 

Here in Portland Oregon you have roaming vans that take assessment of any infraction with photo and fine.  So I invested in all my cars - Radenso front and rear radar and ALP (Anti Laser Priority) three front and three rear laser jammers with 1 high output diode in each direction.  Regardless of race, your likeliness of seeing your family after being pulled over is statistically reduced significantly.