Remote on-off control for all AVA equipment.

avahifi

Remote on-off control for all AVA equipment.
« on: 25 Mar 2022, 01:18 pm »
I just bought and installed a useful remote controlled heavy duty 15A three outlet AC switch from Amazon.

It is the Dewenwils Outdoor Remote Control Outlet (I am using it indoors of course). Costs $17.99.  This is much less then our cost to build this function into our equipment.

I have a pair of our M225 power amps and a Digital Preamp plugged into the switcher.

The supplied little remote control turns the AC outlets on and off and works great. Just leave the power amps switched on all the time.  One additional step with the Digital Preamp. Using the switcher turns the power amps on and off but it turns the Digital Preamp from off to its standby mode.  Then you have to use the preamp power switch separately to go from the standby to the operating status.  That is when the display will light up.

So, no more excuses that "my wife demands remote turn on-off capability" This little switcher does just this. :)

Frank

Gyosa

Re: Remote on-off control for all AVA equipment.
« Reply #1 on: 31 Mar 2022, 10:13 pm »
I’ve been using something similar to power up my old B&K EX-442 which is serving duty as the patio system.

Why not just incorporate a 12v trigger in/out on your equipment?
I’d certainly pay for it if a reasonable cost .

Honestly, the lack of a trigger in /out is the only thing keeping me from getting a SET 400 amp.

Bk

Wayner

« Reply #2 on: 31 Mar 2022, 10:44 pm »
A trigger circuit would require a latching circuit and a relay.

I have a power center for one of my systems. It has 2 power cords. The preamp's power plugs into one outlet on the back, the other 2 amplifiers plug into timed outlets on the back. One of the 2 power cords for the power center plugs into a switched outlet on the back of my preamp. The other power cord plugs directly into the wall outlet. When the preamp is turned on, the timer for the timed relays does its 15 second countdown and then turns on the amplifiers. While its not remote controlled, its 1 push of a button to turn the entire system on. Turning the power off on the preamp kills all components instantly.

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #3 on: 2 Apr 2022, 10:06 pm »
It kills all the components but not the power amp which stays on, yes?

Frank’s original instructions for my Van Alstine AVA Fet Valve 550 Ultra directed me to turn the amp off first and then the other components … but that was a while ago and things may have changed.

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works

avahifi

« Reply #5 on: 3 Apr 2022, 10:49 am »
In my system (AVA Digital Preamp and two M225 mono amps) the remote AC switcher described in my first post works perfectly.

No, the amps do not remain on.  All turn off at once. The Dig Pre has an instant disconnect function to protect off transients from everything.  At turn on the Dig Pre protects from system turn on transients, the amps turn on and the Dig Pre turns on into standby mode. Then the Dig Pre remote turns on its play mode.

With any other modern AVA system the preamp has on and off transient protection so the remote AC switcher will work just as well.

Note the amp power switches are left on because they are turned on and off by the remote controlled AC switcher. Note too that this solution is much lower cost then us building remote power on-off circuits into each piece of our equipment. Blow 20 bucks, plug everything in and, voila, remote on-off system.

Now what is your next excuse regarding acquiring the equipment?

Why make it more complicated or expensive?

Frank

Wayner

« Reply #6 on: 3 Apr 2022, 12:39 pm »
It kills all the components but not the power amp which stays on, yes?

Frank’s original instructions for my Van Alstine AVA Fet Valve 550 Ultra directed me to turn the amp off first and then the other components … but that was a while ago and things may have changed.

No, it kills all the components as the amps are on timer relays, at least in my system.

BadDNA

« Reply #7 on: 5 Apr 2022, 11:33 am »
Based on Frank's initial recommendation, I purchased a similar remote power cord (Different brand) for $15. Plugged the M225's into it and can now control their power from my chair. Works as advertised!