What Avant-garde music or Free Improvisation Are You Currently Listening To?

musicdre

• reality is the base
    • art site
Patricia Barber, "Cafe Blue'.

is ms barber avant-garde or free improv?   :evil:

andolink

Punctual Trio

Lou Mallozzi: turntables, CDs, Microphones, Oscillator
Fred Lonberg-Holm: Cello
Carlos Zingaro: Violin

Recorded by Pete Wenger at Experimental Sound Studio, Chicago, 28 May 2003.

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
ERR28: Ayumi Paul / Achim Mohné - Sketches for violin and vinyl

LesterSleepsIn

musicdre

• reality is the base
    • art site

LesterSleepsIn

Ooohh, terrific record, one of my favorites. (And how great is Hugh Ragin?)

This was on the stack from last night, on vinyl, original pressing.

andolink

doorman

David Torn - “Sun of Goldfinger”

musicdre

• reality is the base
    • art site
David Torn - “Sun of Goldfinger”

how would you describe this album?

andolink

CHRIS BURN piano (& percussion)
JOHN BUTCHER soprano & tenor saxophones
RHODRI DAVIES harp
JOHN EDWARDS double bass
(rec. in May and September of 2000)

LesterSleepsIn

how would you describe this album?

If you like your Tim Berne with more lively electronics and a healthy dollop of noise, then you’ll like Son of Goldfinger, as well as Torn’s Prezen. But if you’re expecting this will sound like Torn’s work with Sonar, or his solo work like ‘Sky’ or ‘Mercury’ then you might be disappointed. Goldfinger is not Tim’s outing but his strong presence is certainly there. I wasn’t disappointed in any of the above.

musicdre

• reality is the base
    • art site
If you like your Tim Berne with more lively electronics and a healthy dollop of noise, then you’ll like Son of Goldfinger, as well as Torn’s Prezen. But if you’re expecting this will sound like Torn’s work with Sonar, or his solo work like ‘Sky’ or ‘Mercury’ then you might be disappointed. Goldfinger is not Tim’s outing but his strong presence is certainly there. I wasn’t disappointed in any of the above.

thanks for the good info.  i'm no longer into the element of noise for some reason.  cause im gettin older?  another good records of note with berne is:  michael formanak's small places (ecm) [also with taborn and cleaver].

LesterSleepsIn

thanks for the good info.  i'm no longer into the element of noise for some reason.  cause im gettin older?  another good records of note with berne is:  michael formanak's small places (ecm) [also with taborn and cleaver].

Thanks. Know Formanak well, saw him in small club settings several times. Always a delight.

Now, for this:

Union

Paradoxical Frog (Artist), Tyshawn Sorey (Composer, Performer), Kris Davis (Composer, Performer), Ingrid Laubrock (Composer, Performer)

LesterSleepsIn

I already have my reservation to see Guillermo Gregorio at the Guelph Jazz Festival in September.
« Last Edit: 8 Jun 2019, 02:36 am by LesterSleepsIn »

andolink

I already have my reservation to see Guillermo Gregorio at the Guelph Kazz Festival in September.

Much appreciated Lester.

Your post has introduced me to a fascinating musician who'd flown completely off my radar until now.
« Last Edit: 8 Jun 2019, 05:45 am by andolink »

LesterSleepsIn

Much appreciated Lester.

Your post has introduced me to a fascinating musician who'd flown completely off my radar until now.

You’ve sent me on an all-afternoon Guillermo Gregorio bender, Andolink. The Hatology cds are my favorite.

andolink

You’ve sent me on an all-afternoon Guillermo Gregorio bender, Andolink. The Hatology cds are my favorite.

I put an order in for the New World recording entitled Coplanar with the MADI ensemble, et. al., based on some sound clip sampling.  The Hatology disc called Iconicity sounds intriguing too.

Wish I could attend the Guelph Festival :cry:.  It'd be a great way of getting out of the heat of Scottsdale.

Are you based in Canada? 
« Last Edit: 9 Jun 2019, 12:23 am by andolink »

LesterSleepsIn

Are you based in Canada?

No, not yet.  :wink: But I can see Canada from my house. Well, almost. I’m in Rochester.

LesterSleepsIn

LesterSleepsIn