BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER

zeiter

Re: BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER
« Reply #240 on: 12 Sep 2012, 11:08 am »
Marius, I'm getting  HD800 today, and modifying the OEM cable to 4pin XLR, to add to my Denon AH-D7000 ( which I had modified to 4pinXLR at Bryston). I asked a local technician, who had modified a OEM HD800 cable to two 3pin XLR. He said that when you remove the 1/4" connection from the HD800 cable, you end up with 4 wires, and two ( left, then right ) are used for each 3 pin XLR ( + & -) . The third pin ( ground ) is not used. Now , I do not know if that ends whith a balanced or non balanced formula, but I'll be doing mine with a 4 pin . I don't know if there is any other way to connect the HD800 that will make a difference ( balanced or non balanced ).

zeiter

« Reply #241 on: 12 Sep 2012, 12:18 pm »
Hi

Yes - It will get hot on the left side - it is normal.
Thanks James, one more question.  Do the balanced inputs on the BHA-1 provide higher gain than the unbalanced ? I know I get louder volume from the front outputs ( XLR Vs 1/4" ), but was not aware of the input gain, as I'm getting louder level of music when I use the XLR inputs. Thanks

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #242 on: 12 Sep 2012, 12:30 pm »
Thanks James, one more question.  Do the balanced inputs on the BHA-1 provide higher gain than the unbalanced ? I know I get louder volume from the front outputs ( XLR Vs 1/4" ), but was not aware of the input gain, as I'm getting louder level of music when I use the XLR inputs. Thanks

Hi

Yes - a balanced  connection has 6dB more gain than a single ended connection (because it has twice the voltage swing). So if you use a Balanced Source you get the extra 6dB of gain and if you use a balanced XLR Output from the BHA you get a further 6dB of gain for a total of 12dB.

James

PS - another advantage of Balanced is a lower noise floor as well

Marius

« Reply #243 on: 12 Sep 2012, 01:44 pm »
Hi Grsimmon,

Tyll responded:

"You can't use a regular headphone jack to get a balanced connection. You have to replace the plug with two XLRs.

I'd suggest a cable like this: http://www.headphone.com/accessories/cardas-balanced-cable-for-hd800-15ft-neutrik.php

The diagram you showed is not good.

This page might help you understand. http://www.headphone.com/learning-center/art-i-balanced-vs-unbalanced.php
"
Headphone.com show this wiring-scheme:

on the next page "Balanced" is explained in all its variants, obviously I seek the fully balanced version, which with the BHA1 and a thus modified cable is reached.

Hope to realize this in the next 6 weeks, in the backorder still hold that promise

Thanks all,
Marius

ps James if Stu would confirm this, I'd be really at ease  :?

Hi Marius;
A good resource for your questions is Tyll Hertsens at InnerFidelity.com.   He is the original founder of HeadRoom and one of the true experts on headphones out there.  He has been known to correct companies like Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic on their own misinformation,  wiring mistakes, etc.   :O    He truly is a wealth of information and just a nice person, very approachable and without attitude. 

Just FYI,  there is no such thing as a "balanced" headphone, and so of course Sennheiser will repeat that forever.   There are only balanced 'configurations'  of headphones that can be accomplished with either modifications,  or with after-market detachable cables.  You sound stressed - don't be.  With that particular model HD800, if you poke around, you can find used cables for sale and just experiment and go with whatever you think sounds better,  balanced vs. single ended.

Marius

« Reply #244 on: 12 Sep 2012, 03:07 pm »
Hi James,

Headroom mentions duo XLR/Jack outputs on its BUDA. Seems nice to be able to listen 'with the two of us" simultaneously. Could that be a special order on the BHA1 too? Or would that require a redesign, which obviously is not in order.

Marius

http://www.headphone.com/headphone-amps/headroom-balanced-ultra-desktop-amp-buda.php

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #245 on: 12 Sep 2012, 03:11 pm »
Hi James,

Headroom mentions duo XLR/Jack outputs on its BUDA. Seems nice to be able to listen 'with the two of us" simultaneously. Could that be a special order on the BHA1 too? Or would that require a redesign, which obviously is not in order.

Marius

http://www.headphone.com/headphone-amps/headroom-balanced-ultra-desktop-amp-buda.php

Hi Marius,

Not sure I understand the question but if you are asking if more than one output can be used at the same time the answer is yes.  That is the way I typically set them up at shows with 2 to 3 different types of headphones attached to each BHA-1.

james

Joker

« Reply #246 on: 12 Sep 2012, 03:14 pm »
Hi Marius, great to see there are others in the same hunt as I am.  :D I'm waiting for my BHA and HD800 to be delivered as well, so thanks a bunch for your little research.

I did call Sennheiser as well and they confirmed the setup of the HD800 is fully balanced and suggested to just cut off the unbalanced cinch connector and replace with a balanced set. Which I thought could either be 2 3-pin XLR for left / right or a 4-pin Stereo XLR, like "zeiter" intends to use. That also was my intention, since when I asked James some time ago, while I was still considering a Grado, as he stated that a 4-pin Stereo XLR produces a noticeable better sound and he was using such a config with his Grado, if there was any advantage of a left/right 3-pin XLR over a 4-pin Stereo XLR (as the BHA offers both options). His response was, if I recall correctly, that I should just use a 4-pin Stereo one.

Sennheiser told me, that there are essentially two cables (red = plus & blue = minus) going into each driver. So from that, it might though be just easier to connect each of the two pairs to a mono XLR and then use that configuration over a 4-pin one? If there is no difference?

But if Stu can still confirm, would indeed be great. Can't await my combo to play!!!

Mike Pickett

« Reply #247 on: 12 Sep 2012, 03:26 pm »
Hi Marius, great to see there are others in the same hunt as I am.  :D I'm waiting for my BHA and HD800 to be delivered as well, so thanks a bunch for your little research.

I did call Sennheiser as well and they confirmed the setup of the HD800 is fully balanced and suggested to just cut off the unbalanced cinch connector and replace with a balanced set. Which I thought could either be 2 3-pin XLR for left / right or a 4-pin Stereo XLR, like "zeiter" intends to use. That also was my intention, since when I asked James some time ago, while I was still considering a Grado, as he stated that a 4-pin Stereo XLR produces a noticeable better sound and he was using such a config with his Grado, if there was any advantage of a left/right 3-pin XLR over a 4-pin Stereo XLR (as the BHA offers both options). His response was, if I recall correctly, that I should just use a 4-pin Stereo one.

Sennheiser told me, that there are essentially two cables (red = plus & blue = minus) going into each driver. So from that, it might though be just easier to connect each of the two pairs to a mono XLR and then use that configuration over a 4-pin one? If there is no difference?

But if Stu can still confirm, would indeed be great. Can't await my combo to play!!!

Stu's not around, so James asked me to comment.  As long as you use either a single 4-pin XLR or a pair of 3-pin XLR's, you are using the BHA1 in balanced mode, and can take advantage of double the output voltage.  This is, of course, dependent on the cable having two conductors per side; if the 'common' wire is joined at the phones rather than at the 1/4", you need to replace the entire cable...

I just modified a pair of HD800's yesterday, and the improvement vs unbalanced was significant.  In that case, I used the single 4-pin XLR, as the wires are in a single braided jacket, but if someone wanted to get fancy, it would be possible to use a pair of 3-pin XLR's, although it would not improve the results.

zeiter

« Reply #248 on: 12 Sep 2012, 03:53 pm »
Hi Marius,

Not sure I understand the question but if you are asking if more than one output can be used at the same time the answer is yes.  That is the way I typically set them up at shows with 2 to 3 different types of headphones attached to each BHA-1.

james
James, unless I misunderstood the user manual, it does not recommend using both XLRs up front at the same time as this will create more heat bla bla bla...

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #249 on: 12 Sep 2012, 03:57 pm »
James, unless I misunderstood the user manual, it does not recommend using both XLRs up front at the same time as this will create more heat bla bla bla...

It really depends on the load of the headphones combined - the more phones the lower the impedance - the more current draw required.  The Grados (as shown above at the Montreal Show) are 32 ohms each so multiple versions of them are no issue at all for the BHA-1.

james

Marius

« Reply #250 on: 12 Sep 2012, 08:24 pm »
Hi James,

I mean this special neutriks:" A pair of Neutrik 'combination' XLR jacks await one balanced headphone OR you can use two standard headphones simultaneously via the full stereo 1/4" plugs housed within each XLR jack!"

Could be a nice option as special order, if at all possible of course.

Marius

Hi Marius,

james

Joker

« Reply #251 on: 12 Sep 2012, 08:54 pm »
Stu's not around, so James asked me to comment.  As long as you use either a single 4-pin XLR or a pair of 3-pin XLR's, you are using the BHA1 in balanced mode, and can take advantage of double the output voltage.  This is, of course, dependent on the cable having two conductors per side; if the 'common' wire is joined at the phones rather than at the 1/4", you need to replace the entire cable...

I just modified a pair of HD800's yesterday, and the improvement vs unbalanced was significant.  In that case, I used the single 4-pin XLR, as the wires are in a single braided jacket, but if someone wanted to get fancy, it would be possible to use a pair of 3-pin XLR's, although it would not improve the results.

Hi Mike, excellent and thanks a lot, exactly what I needed to know! So no improvement from 4-pin to a pair of 3-pin. By any chance, would you be able to document how to connect the 4-pin XLR just to make sure we do this right here in good old Germany?

Marius

« Reply #252 on: 12 Sep 2012, 10:15 pm »
Hi Mike,

Thanks a lot for this , make that +1 from the Netherlands.
Just to be sure, you mention you modified the hd800, did you do that with the stock cable? I'll order a spare one in that case and have it modified to your specs. Should have the 4 needed wires. Could you confirm that?

Marius

Hi Mike, excellent and thanks a lot, exactly what I needed to know! So no improvement from 4-pin to a pair of 3-pin. By any chance, would you be able to document how to connect the 4-pin XLR just to make sure we do this right here in good old Germany?

zeiter

« Reply #253 on: 13 Sep 2012, 02:15 pm »
Joker,
The wiring connection of the 4-pin XLR is shown in the manual of the BHA-1, as well as the one for two 3-pin XLR.

Joker

« Reply #254 on: 13 Sep 2012, 03:01 pm »
Joker,
The wiring connection of the 4-pin XLR is shown in the manual of the BHA-1, as well as the one for two 3-pin XLR.
Zeiter, thanks for that hint. Good if one then has the manual....I have not yet seen it downloadable from the Bryston webseite like e.g. the BDA or BDP ones are. Hence it would just be cool to get a little hand from Mike since he just did recable the HD800, since both Marius and I are trying to accomplish exactly that. Cheers.

Marius

« Reply #255 on: 13 Sep 2012, 03:05 pm »
check, +1, on the technical page of Bryston.com the Bha1 is missing....

Would there be a downloadable manual (not the Brochure) ?

Marius

Zeiter, thanks for that hint. Good if one then has the manual....I have not yet seen it downloadable from the Bryston webseite like e.g. the BDA or BDP ones are. Hence it would just be cool to get a little hand from Mike since he just did recable the HD800, since both Marius and I are trying to accomplish exactly that. Cheers.

Marius

« Reply #256 on: 14 Sep 2012, 06:32 pm »
 James.
If this is anything different than the brochure, could you make the manual online please?

Thanks,

Marius

ps.     in dire need of the wiring scheme for the balanced HD800...

Hi Folks,

I have a PDF of the new BHA-1 Headphone amp Owners Manual  - email me if you want a copy.

jamestanner@bryston.com

james

mkaiser

« Reply #257 on: 14 Sep 2012, 11:06 pm »
in dire need of the wiring scheme for the balanced HD800.../quote]

Sennheiser makes their phones with detachable cable so you do not have to hard wire. This way you can interchange any cable and not have to re-purchase the phones.
Why do you not just borrow cables from your local or not so local dealers and chose the one that sounds best to YOUR ears. This is the flexability of owning Sennheiser.

Mark

mkaiser

« Reply #258 on: 14 Sep 2012, 11:09 pm »
Got some good news from my dealer, i should be receiving my BHA1 on Monday. That was a long years wait.  :thumb:

Mark

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #259 on: 14 Sep 2012, 11:22 pm »
Hi Folks,

Email me and I will send you the manual - jamestanner@bryston.com

james